Volcano Bay

alissafalco

Ok so I've been over this last week for a few days from England to sort out a family property issue and managed a spare day to spend at VB. Luckily I was comped a ticket for VB and a hotel room for 1 night through a friend of my fathers who has some loose business connections with Universal so ventured in on Tuesday.

First impressions on entering the park was that it looks fantastic. The 'reveal' is quite breathtaking and filled me with excitement for the day ahead and as I had early entry I joined the hoards fighting for a sun lounger after navigating the process of acquiring a tapu, tapu wristband. Having early entry meant I was going to take advantage of riding as many slides as I could early on before the waits became prohibitive and I knew in advance it was going to be busy. So I managed a few 'ride now' slides and have to say they were extremely fun and certainly got the adrenaline flowing.

I'm still not completely accepting of the brightly coloured plastic look of the various slides against the backdrop of such a well themed volcano, however you could argue that's just a personal opinion like some guys preferring redheads to blondes etc. Certainly I wasn't going to let that ruin my day there, but it's just an honest observation along with the back of the volcano looking less themed than the front.

Everything was going swimmingly at that stage and after about 9:00am (didn't have my watch on?) I plumped for a tapu, tapu reservation which was around a 30 minute wait. As I returned to my sun lounger I was shocked to discover that a family with loungers next to mine had allowed their wet 10 year old (?) child to lie on my lounger on top of my towel. I did a double take to make sure it was actually my spot and then said "Excuse me but I think you're on my lounger and towel". The mother of the kid then said "EXCUSE ME, please don't tell my child what to do". I politely explained to her that I was merely pointing out that they were on my lounger and hadn't told her child to do anything and she said to her son "Can you please move, this man doesn't know how to ask you politely to get off his lounger which he clearly wasn't using". The boy sighed, gave me a dirty look and mumbled something before moving to bit of the ground near his mum. I resisted the urge to respond to this stupid woman and sat down ignoring them. None of this was Universal's fault but I thought I'd mention it to show what jerks some people are :arghh:

After then using my tapu,tapu reservation the park had become what I can only describe as chaotically busy. It was a real shame because at 10amish in the morning I felt I'd not really been there that long and yet now it felt a bit like a battle to find things to do. I did enjoy the lazy river immensely but it unfortunately became so overcrowded that not only was there a long queue to enter, but once in it was just too overcrowded. Now the wave pool was fun but also a bit overcrowded, I did enjoy spending time in there and the waterfalls on the volcano looked fantastic cascading down the sides. I had got another tapu, tapu reservation but had over an hour to kill so again went back to my sun lounger, again to find this wet kid on my towel and lounger. This time his mum said loudly "He's here" and the boy moved as I approached, I said nothing and sat down and put my headphones on. Now I'm not sure whether this family next to me had put me in a mood or not but I must say that lying there wasn't a very relaxing experience. It felt a bit chaotic and as though they'd crowded way too many loungers in a too small a space. I decided to instead take a walk and look in the shops which I did and though I had no intention on buying anything it was ok looking at stuff for a little while and the shops were well themed.

The food for lunch was delicious, like a kid I plumped for a burger and really enjoyed it. There unfortunately wasn't anywhere to sit to eat it, though being on my own that wasn't too much of an issue and I found a rock to sit on and ate it there. Again as wonderful as this park looks (in most parts), I just couldn't get beyond the feeling that they're letting too many people in. I can best equate this feeling to being in the Magic Kingdom on Christmas day. Like there when you arrive you're blown away with the visuals and it 'feels' great being there initially and you think "Boy, this is going to be a great day". Then after an hour and a half the number of visitors starts to feel too much and you kind of end up stumbling around not going on things you particularly want to, but rather doing anything without a horrendous wait instead. There's still stuff to do and enjoy, however you feel there's something missing from what could potentially be a magnificent park and there's just too many people in there.

By 3pm I was done, hadn't ridden as many slides as I would have wanted (5 of them) but had had an ok experience. I'd not paid but feel I have to judge the day as though I had, as this is the way most people would experience it. On a quiet day I'd say it's worth the money, on a busy one maybe not so. Certainly if I'd paid for 2 of us to go in for the day, I'd have felt a little cheated but I'm sure that when new slides are added this may change things.

Finally as I went to my lounger to leave I noticed my towel was now covered in sand. The family next to me weren't there and had left their stuff on their loungers. I took this opportunity to pick up the mother's bag full of sun lotion, sun glasses, some underwear :eek: and magazines and tipped it out onto the sand next to my lounger. They guy nearest me looked over and smiled whilst nodding his head and off I went feeling quite contented :happy:
Lmao! Im so glad you gave that rude family a taste of their own medicine!! Im sorry you had to experience such trash to begin with.
As for the park, Id love to go, and everywhere I read its the same complaint of being too over crowded. I think I will wait on VB until I start reading better reviews.

Last edited:

captainkidd

I think VB speaks to the success of Universal finally capturing a weeklong vacationer. They are a staple of Disney clientele. The issue Universal has right now is that you cannot really make a weeklong vacation out of two parks... so you tack on one, maybe two days in the water park.
I can easily spend an entire week at the 2 Universal parks. We do it every year. We hit a park in the morning, have lunch, head back to Hard Rock for a swim and a nap, head to City Walk for dinner, then go to the other park for the night. We love it.

BrianLo

I can easily spend an entire week at the 2 Universal parks. We do it every year. We hit a park in the morning, have lunch, head back to Hard Rock for a swim and a nap, head to City Walk for dinner, then go to the other park for the night. We love it.

It's not meant as a knock, I know some people do visit both parks for a week. But, I think you'd agree that you'll probably now slot in a couple of morning or afternoon visits to VB on a weeklong visit. Very few people would walk through the gate of one of Disney's waterparks multiple times as an onsite guest on a week stay. If they even visit either at all during that time.

This is not to say Universal's two parks can't entertain people for a week... but for the average visitor who is now staying for a week - the two parks are significantly enhanced with a third thing to do a couple half days.

Disneyhead'71

Dude, put the firehose containing Universal koolaid down and open up some windows to get some fresh air. I'm concerned about your ability to defend VB And Universal at all costs.

Please don't give me the speech about drinking pina coladas, partaking in hula hoop competitions and getting massages while waiting for rides because that is exactly what my family does when staying at the HR. Sounds like they are trying to make up for a lack of attractions for people to ride.

They are letting too many people in this park... period ..stop...end of story. This is the general consensus from the non-theme park enthusiasts out there. I went to Uni back in July. That's what guests were saying then and that is what they are saying now. Not sure why it's so hard to believe that guests that are going to VB are only getting 3 to 4 rides in before calling it quits and leaving the park.

Next, I was surprised to see how light lines were at the other two parks. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that VB is cyphening guests at the expense of the other two parks.
I'm not really sure how my post is defending Universal. I was saying that they messed up the "modeling" and seriously under estimated the demand created by being adjacent to so many rooms. If I'm not mistaken, saying they f'd something up is the exact opposite of defending. And I agree that they are letting too many people in. This is a fundamental problem, not something whipping ops into shape can really fix. They are getting blow back for the park being too crowded and at the same time getting angry complaints for it always being at capacity and people on vacation can't get in. So, even though VB has more hourly capacity than TL, it's still not enough. They under built the park because they under estimated the demand created by the park basically being the awesome hotel pool for 3 huge resorts.

They have made a lot of mistakes getting this park going. Many of them avoidable and perplexing. Like pushing ahead with the Grand Opening when it became obvious that they weren't even CLOSE to ready.

Last edited:

mergatroid

It would appear they've taken Taniwha Tubes out of the virtual queue option nearly all the time now according to Tim's latest video (strange as I was slaughtered on here for suggesting they try this and told it would never work). He also seems a little concerned on this video about the park which is very not like him.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

I can understand still having kinks with Tapu Tapu, but it's a little concerning that three months in, he still notices areas not open, things not installed or not functional, etc.

cheezbat

I can understand still having kinks with Tapu Tapu, but it's a little concerning that three months in, he still notices areas not open, things not installed or not functional, etc.
They need to hurry up and fix all the crap that was supposed to be operating at the parks grand opening...
So they can get started on the expansion that's been needed since day one.

Spectro

I'm planning on visiting volcano bay around 7th Sep when we are at HRH. Got 3 park tickets. Hoping it will be fun and we get on a few water slides but not doing that big drop one. Too chicken :confused: hopefully it won't be as busy then.

mergatroid

I'm planning on visiting volcano bay around 7th Sep when we are at HRH. Got 3 park tickets. Hoping it will be fun and we get on a few water slides but not doing that big drop one. Too chicken :confused: hopefully it won't be as busy then.

Hope you have a great day, get there early!!!!

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Are you staying close to VB ? as a big tip is to get there early as the park reaches capacity surprisingly quick, if you are at a Universal hotel you get to go in at 07:30 i think it is. Just a heads up if you were thinking of heading in later in the morning.

UpAllNight

Few points from discussed above.... I can see how it's possible to spend a relaxed week at Universal doing a park, going for a swim etc if that's how you like to vacation...and I see the theory of people using VB as their hotel pool on such a relaxed trip as holding true. It's frustrating for people who can't get in, but adds another great incentive for staying on site at Universal.

I personally can't spend anywhere near as long at Universal as I can at Disney due to a number of reasons:

- I think the parks are very easy to tour compared to Disney due to guest patterns and how busy they are. If you arrive at Islands or Universal Studios early enough it's very easy to get on all major rides by lunchtime, then spending the afternoon and evening (if it's open!) to chill and do rerides

- I know it's a tired old argument but Universal Studios is very screen heavy at the moment and despite individually liking most of the rides, I have limited tolerance and they don't tend to warrant as many rerides for me as a good coaster or AA based attraction

- You need to be in the mood to do many of Islands rides, ie the water rides. We love em, but it's not something you can do every time you enter you park.

-Shows. For some reason Uni aren't good at them...they bulk out a day. Disney and Seaworld do it far better.

- Disney due to how busy they are have made things like meet and greets 'attractions' whereas at Uni you can pretty much walk up to a character and get your photo taken with them with mimimal fuss. Again...great for Universal, but it means you get things done faster.

-What I'm getting at is that at Universal, everything's just a little easier and less stressful. It requires less planning, less thought.

- With all that in mind I can see Universal appealing massively to the 'less commando' type of vacationer, which is contributing to VBs attendance.

We stayed near Pointe this trip and had our hearts set on staying on Disney on our next trip due to how much time we spend in those parks compared to Universal, but the more and more I look into it, the price and benefits, Volcano Bay included, of staying at Universal is outweighing Disney.

We don't do the mid afternoon swim thing, in fact the opposite we are the kind that gets to the parks early stay there late for 2-3 weeks, and come home aching...but the appeal of dropping into VB and combining it with other park days, including Seaworld/Discovery/Aquatica and maybe not dedicating a whole day to VB on its own, is appealing. I can't wait to give the park another chance, we went the day after opening and it was a nightmare...but the slides we went on were great and the prospect of easiness staying on site adds to VBs appeal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom