Disneyland Paris Half Marathon

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Ok, so the flying thing OR becoming a grandmother (for the first or ANY other time) are certainly excuses I can respect.

And yes, I did know you were older than me, but I suspect you are in the range of my oldest sibling (I'm the last of a large family). In any event, you are an inspiration for me to keep at it - I like "knowing" people older than me who do multiple races in one weekend :) It can be my goal in 9 years for my 60th (but probably without a marathon, I just don't have any interest in a full marathon).

Not that I'm one to disclose on a public forum my age, but I ran the SW Dark Side on my birthday...my 64th birthday. And next year if I do something stupid, face planting and breaking my right arm, I'll be covered under Medicare!

Best of all, my annoying older brother will be 70 in a few years. Yes, boys and girls, sibling rivalry survives in your 60s and beyond!

Yeah, I don't have it in me for a full marathon...my feet wouldn't make it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well, Guessing from @LAKid53's nick, she is 63 or 64 ;-) But where are you from, @Swissmiss, when Paris is so much closer than WDW or DL.

Marathons are a special thing and I think you should try it at least once. I never guess I would do a semi or even full marathon a few years ago, but it just happens. Blaim it on Disney?

And you are the first to pick that up. Yup, I was in my Terrible Twos when Disneyland opened. And most of my visits were birthday ones. We only lived 30 -40 minutes away, depending on traffic.

So my first Disney film was Sleeping Beauty and the park I grew up with has her Castle....

Swissmiss

Premium Member
And so I was right, you are in the range of my oldest sibling (and don't I know it about sibling rivalry not having an age!).

@RunningKoen, if you can figure out @LAKid53's age from her name, you can figure out why DLP is much closer for me than the US Parks ;)

@LAKid53 - will you need to wait until you are older than 65 for Medicare to cover your left arm? :p

LAKid53

Premium Member
And so I was right, you are in the range of my oldest sibling (and don't I know it about sibling rivalry not having an age!).

@RunningKoen, if you can figure out @LAKid53's age from her name, you can figure out why DLP is much closer for me than the US Parks ;)

@LAKid53 - will you need to wait until you are older than 65 for Medicare to cover your left arm? :p

I was 63 when I fell during that trail race and broke it, so, no, not retroactive. Here in the US, Medicare eligibility starts at age 65. So in a few months I will be wading through all the info AARP provides to figure out which type of Medicare I want to enroll in. I think once my doctor starts asking for my Medicare card, rather than my insurance card, I'll start to think, " oh, I'm not 35 any more", lol. Age, as they say, really is all in your head. My daughter is starting to stress that she's hitting the Big 3-0 this year. She asked what I did for my 30th - told her I spent the day in Disneyland, being a kid again.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@SwissmissAre you all set for september? Everything validated?

I'd be more set if the temperatures would drop here - we're on our 3rd or 4th heatwave since June and just the other day the record for the hottest day was beaten... And although everything has been uploaded, I haven't got a new notification to say that it has been validated.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'd be more set if the temperatures would drop here - we're on our 3rd or 4th heatwave since June and just the other day the record for the hottest day was beaten... And although everything has been uploaded, I haven't got a new notification to say that it has been validated.

So if I run DLP Half, I can expect temperatures similar to Florida, but without the humidity? :(

RunningKoen

So if I run DLP Half, I can expect temperatures similar to Florida, but without the humidity? :(

Not really. over here is not that hot, around 20 degrees C (65-70F) and French is yet again different weather compared to Switzerland or Holland.

I still think its too hot to run during the middle of the day, but its really good in the mornings or at night.

The run is end of september, and the weather is perfect for running. Nothing compared to the heat in Florida. However, during my marathon there was a cold alert.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Not really. over here is not that hot, around 20 degrees C (65-70F) and French is yet again different weather compared to Switzerland or Holland.

I still think its too hot to run during the middle of the day, but its really good in the mornings or at night.

The run is end of september, and the weather is perfect for running. Nothing compared to the heat in Florida. However, during my marathon there was a cold alert.

Good to know. Would hope for early Fall weather, like mid 60s.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

No, normally it would be somewhat cooler. While we had glorious Indian Summer weather last year leading up to the half (Friday and Saturday), the end of September is really hit or miss, and Sunday was a bit cooler than the previous days. In fact, it was really the perfect temperature for running. The only problem is that weather at that time of year changes quite quickly, so you need to be prepared for all types.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yeah Mid 60s F is the early fall weather, but less humid indeed. The runs are in the evening or morning so probably even below 60s

As long as the weather at start time isn't what it was for the Frozen.5k during 2015 Princess Half weekend. Temperatures were in low 30s - was projected to be upper 20s. Mid to upper 50s is perfect running tempetatures.

RunningKoen

As long as the weather at start time isn't what it was for the Frozen.5k during 2015 Princess Half weekend. Temperatures were in low 30s - was projected to be upper 20s. Mid to upper 50s is perfect running tempetatures.
That must have been terrible!

At the WDW marathon, temperatures were low 30s aswell, but strong winds made it worse. Several people got pulled from the race because of hypothermia (waiting to long in the corrals and not able to run quick enough to heat themself up again)

I prefer 40s to 50s, but thats personal.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That must have been terrible!

At the WDW marathon, temperatures were low 30s aswell, but strong winds made it worse. Several people got pulled from the race because of hypothermia (waiting to long in the corrals and not able to run quick enough to heat themself up again)

I prefer 40s to 50s, but thats personal.

Advice if you decide to again run in the Marathon. Pack a cheap bathrobe or small blanket/beach towel or hoodie - something you won't mind tossing after you warm up. After the race, runDisney picks up all the discarded blankets/pieces of clothing, cleans them and then donates to local shelters. Nice to know that the garment that kept you warm will help others stay the same. Much better than those space blankets, in my opinion - those just end up in the landfill.

RunningKoen

Advice if you decide to again run in the Marathon. Pack a cheap bathrobe or small blanket/beach towel or hoodie - something you won't mind tossing after you warm up. After the race, runDisney picks up all the discarded blankets/pieces of clothing, cleans them and then donates to local shelters. Nice to know that the garment that kept you warm will help others stay the same. Much better than those space blankets, in my opinion - those just end up in the landfill.

Good tip! I used to tie up a cheap training jacket at the corral of my races in the Netherlands, and try to find them afterwards. I was stupid to forget this for the marathon and was chilled up. I am so grateful for the supporter who was handing out old sweaters at 4 AM at the parking before the corrals, that saved my

RunningKoen

XqhsEl5.png

for the people who were having issues with their medical certificate: there's more time.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up @RunningKoen; luckily all of ours are in. I guess they realized that opening the registration link during the European summer holidays was probably a bad idea! I liked last year's system better - i had no problems with it but this year's system is another story.

Bought our train tickets this morning (a detail that had slipped my mind!)

RunningKoen

Thanks for the heads up @RunningKoen; luckily all of ours are in. I guess they realized that opening the registration link during the European summer holidays was probably a bad idea! I liked last year's system better - i had no problems with it but this year's system is another story.

Bought our train tickets this morning (a detail that had slipped my mind!)

Have to disagree. I prefer this years runners platform more than last years.
The only difference is that this year, they are quite slow with reacting to everything, but the system itself looks and works better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom