News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

bclane

Buena Vista Street yes, but it has one attraction.

Hollywoodland is a thematic mess that has mediocre art deco buildings combined with warehouses and the attractions are a Frozen stage show, a Monster's Inc Ride and a Guardians of the Galaxy ride. Nothing about that screams Hollywood.

Paradise Pier is about to become Pixar Pier.

Pacific Wharf, is a nice small area that fits the California theme.

Grizzly Peak used to be Condor Flats and there's nothing overtly California-y about that. The Grand Californian hotel could just as easily be called the Wilderness Lodge. The Grand Floridian Hotel is designed off a hotel in San Diego, so the name doesn't exactly mean much.
I'm thinking they need to re-visit the name/theme of the park as well. California Adventure is probably more appropriate as the name/theme of a single land within the park vs for the entire park...considering the changes they've made over the years and those that are already in the pipe. I know it is kinda haphazardly strewn about the park as a theme now but they could definitely do a better job by consolidating all the California stuff into a single land, renaming some areas. and going forward with a larger more flexible theme for the overall park that better matches their new vision (whatever that is).

PizzaPlanet

Buena Vista Street yes, but it has one attraction.

Hollywoodland is a thematic mess that has mediocre art deco buildings combined with warehouses and the attractions are a Frozen stage show, a Monster's Inc Ride and a Guardians of the Galaxy ride. Nothing about that screams Hollywood.
If only Hollywoodland had gotten some more money in the DCA redo like it was originally planned to, it could have been on the same level as DHS.
upload_2017-8-2_19-0-24.png

Grizzly Peak used to be Condor Flats and there's nothing overtly California-y about that.
Grizzly Peak was there from day one, and celebrates California's National Parks. Only the airfield section used to be Condor Flats.

Captain Neo

The concept art keeps the solar panels (not that there's a guarantee that they will remain).
View attachment 218249

Iger has put on a big show about how pro environment he is over the last few years. He even made a big thing about leaving the President's Business Council over the decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement. So I would be shocked if the solar panels were removed. If anything I expect them to get beefed up and improved.

disneyC97

Iger has put on a big show about how pro environment he is over the last few years. He even made a big thing about leaving the President's Business Council over the decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement. So I would be shocked if the solar panels were removed. If anything I expect them to get beefed up and improved.
You can see them in the concept art.

The Empress Lilly

I hated that stupid Ellen/Bill reboot of UoE from the get-go, and it's only gotten worse as it got more and more stale...

They say, "be careful what you wish for."

I can honestly say now, I screwed up! GotG in UoE? NOPE.
My thoughts exactly.

Never thought I'd be devastated to see Ellen leave EPCOT....

The most important bit is left intact, the Dino scene. Perhaps the grandest show scene in any Disney ride anywhere. The travelling theater remained. And the movies ultimately are about energy, the big bang one even being good. In retrospect, Ellen doesn't seem like such a bad proposition after all...

The Empress Lilly

They've already torn it down. What attraction screams California (and no, California Screamin' doesn't scream California). Soarin' doesn't anymore, Tower of Terror is gone, Cars Land is a loose tie at best. The only thing that really screams California are the Red Car trolleys.

I absolutely agree that you need a cohesive theme to tie it together. It's something that Epcot needs as well and it's why parks like DisneySea and the Animal Kingdom are so amazing. If they didn't do a half #$%&! explanation of the evolution of Future World and Epcot there might be more people on board with some of these changes.

You want to put Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot? Fine. Do it right. (Disney, if you're listening, I'm available for hire).

I said on here long before Disney made it official that Peter Quill could have gone to EPCOT Center. As a framing device, that absolutely works. But they can't make it lip service, they need to sell you on that idea. So here's one way to do it (not the only way, just one way).

In Avengers Infinity War, it's safe to assume that the Guardians of the Galaxy will have some interaction with Doctor Strange. We know that Doctor Strange has access to the time stone and can therefore manipulate time. Therefore, as part of the attraction, the pre-show, and/or the post-show, you can have Doctor Strange help Peter Quill visit classic Epcot attractions.

You have the main attraction be something for the masses with maybe a cursory tour of Epcot through the years with Doctor Strange changing the environment around you (or perhaps Peter or Rocket takes the stone from Doctor Strange and they keep dropping it or some other form of comedic exchange). In the post show, you can utilize the CAVE, DISH, or some other system to virtual experience EPCOT Center in the past.

That gives you the time travel framing device and motivation from an 80s child that wants to see it, all while using a modern intellectual property.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be waiting by my phone.
That makes EPCOT fit into the Guardians' universe. But not the Guardians fit into EPCOT's one.

doctornick

I absolutely agree that you need a cohesive theme to tie it together.

Why? I mean, it's cool to have an overarching concept that ties together a theme park, but I don't think it is necessary. The irony being that the well loved castle parks are a collection of disparate themes that are just stuck together (mainly because they were stuff that Walt Disney liked). The biggest key is that each individual land is properly cohesive and themed IMHO.

RSoxNo1

Why? I mean, it's cool to have an overarching concept that ties together a theme park, but I don't think it is necessary. The irony being that the well loved castle parks are a collection of disparate themes that are just stuck together (mainly because they were stuff that Walt Disney liked). The biggest key is that each individual land is properly cohesive and themed IMHO.
When everything fits together it raises up the appreciation for the entire park. Take a park like DisneySea, original EPCOT Center or the Animal Kingdom, the whole is greater than sum of it's complimentary and cohesive parts.

Sure there are guests that just want to bounce from attraction to attraction, but even them, consciously or unconsciously appreciate when things make sense. Otherwise you might as well just go from warehouse to warehouse experiencing rides that have no connection.

Dapper Dan

You want to put Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot? Fine. Do it right. (Disney, if you're listening, I'm available for hire).

I said on here long before Disney made it official that Peter Quill could have gone to EPCOT Center. As a framing device, that absolutely works. But they can't make it lip service, they need to sell you on that idea. So here's one way to do it (not the only way, just one way).

In Avengers Infinity War, it's safe to assume that the Guardians of the Galaxy will have some interaction with Doctor Strange. We know that Doctor Strange has access to the time stone and can therefore manipulate time. Therefore, as part of the attraction, the pre-show, and/or the post-show, you can have Doctor Strange help Peter Quill visit classic Epcot attractions.

You have the main attraction be something for the masses with maybe a cursory tour of Epcot through the years with Doctor Strange changing the environment around you (or perhaps Peter or Rocket takes the stone from Doctor Strange and they keep dropping it or some other form of comedic exchange). In the post show, you can utilize the CAVE, DISH, or some other system to virtual experience EPCOT Center in the past.

That gives you the time travel framing device and motivation from an 80s child that wants to see it, all while using a modern intellectual property.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be waiting by my phone.
I beat you to this 25 pages ago.
I think I finally put all the pieces together. So, we know that the ride stays true to Epcot's original vision while making it more timeless, more family, and more Disney. We also know that the main conceit of the ride is that Star Lord visited EPCOT Center as a child in the 80s. Therefore, there is only one possible story for this ride that fits all the above criteria, and it goes like this:

The Guardians arrive at Epcot. Star Lord says something like, "This sure is a lot different than I remember it, but don't worry, I have a plan." The rest of the ride is a thrilling heist where guests help the Guardians steal the Time Stone. After a successful heist, the victorious guests exit into a completely faithful recreation of 1988 Future World including all of the original pavilions and attractions.

I really have to hand it to Disney, they really are committed to this total immersion thing. I have to say, I wasn't too keen on this announcement at first, but now I'm super excited for this ride!
I guess you can wait by my phone if you'd like.

matt9112

Sadly It's true. Lol. I see it in everyone of my travels. almost 40 countries visited and it still amazes me the lack of knowledge many of my fellow USA citizens have

Isn't Disney world foreign tourist visitation very high? Pretty sure the resort is billed to people from the UK and south America no? I mean they sell special tickets even.

RSoxNo1

I think I finally put all the pieces together. So, we know that the ride stays true to Epcot's original vision while making it more timeless, more family, and more Disney. We also know that the main conceit of the ride is that Star Lord visited EPCOT Center as a child in the 80s. Therefore, there is only one possible story for this ride that fits all the above criteria, and it goes like this:

The Guardians arrive at Epcot. Star Lord says something like, "This sure is a lot different than I remember it, but don't worry, I have a plan." The rest of the ride is a thrilling heist where guests help the Guardians steal the Time Stone. After a successful heist, the victorious guests exit into a completely faithful recreation of 1988 Future World including all of the original pavilions and attractions.

I really have to hand it to Disney, they really are committed to this total immersion thing. I have to say, I wasn't too keen on this announcement at first, but now I'm super excited for this ride!
Great minds think alike.

I sincerely hope they use the Time Stone in this, it's an obvious choice that really would work as more than just lip service.

po1998

Has it been confirmed as to what type of thrill attraction this will be. I am okay with attractions like BTMRR, TT & SM, but am not real keen on being turned upside down?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Has it been confirmed as to what type of thrill attraction this will be. I am okay with attractions like BTMRR, TT & SM, but am not real keen on being turned upside down?
I am no insider and I am purely speculating but I am thinking there will be a solid thrill factor on this one, perhaps Rockin Roller Coaster ish

mk1971

That would be genious, I will be so happy if it happens!

shortstop

To play devil's advocate, if I may... I want just as badly as everyone else for this ride to pay homage to old school Epcot. But I think if it did, most of the references would fly way over the heads of most people riding, and leave them too confused. How many people riding are going to recognize the Universe of Energy song, or would get a Horizons reference... Seems to me like it would just be too confusing. I do hope I'm offbase in this, but that's just what my gut tells me.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

To play devil's advocate, if I may... I want just as badly as everyone else for this ride to pay homage to old school Epcot. But I think if it did, most of the references would fly way over the heads of most people riding, and leave them too confused. How many people riding are going to recognize the Universe of Energy song, or would get a Horizons reference... Seems to me like it would just be too confusing. I do hope I'm offbase in this, but that's just what my gut tells me.
I predict there'll be UoE easter eggs all over this thing. Just look at what they did with MB.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom