News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

RSoxNo1

And finally, Mission Breakout is exactly what worries me. Yes, it's a great ride, but in what way does it fit the California theme? The fact that the attraction is set in the park is it's only thematic excuse. I fear the GotG coaster will use the same excuse...

I'm not opposed to movie-IP-based attractions, so long as they are used properly. Tom mentioned Turtle Talk with Crush, and that's a good example... you learn something about turtles in an engaging way. If this ride reaches that same balance, I'll be content.
They need to kill the California theme. There is very little in that park about California.

mermu2

I contacted Disney through the contact form on their website, and expressed how unhappy I am about the changes they're making to Epcot. I received a very nice response from someone at Disney who said she'd pass my feedback up the chain. One thing she said, that's quite interesting is that one of the things Disney finds frustrating is when people don't give them feedback.

So, anyone who's unhappy with Disney's proposed changes for Epcot...contact them. They need to hear from us. I sent an email through this page. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/ I think the best thing we can do right now is to flood them with feedback. Who's with me?

No Name

They need to kill the California theme. There is very little in that park about California.

Why? Theme is the glue that holds the park together, without any, it's just an incoherent collection of lands/ attractions. That's the same situation Epcot faces*.

I understand that many people, who have a much stronger attachment to DL, want California Adventure to be the dumping ground for all ideas that don't naturally fit Disneyland (Marvel Land, Star Wars Land, etc.). But DCA deserves to be more than that. DCA is a theme park, not just a high-quality amusement park.

I would say there's plenty California left, at least aesthetically. There's still Buena Vista street, Hollywood, Route 66, a pier, Yosemite/Redwood, etc. I think it'd be far more logical to build on that, even loosely, than to abandon it.

But if you disagree I'd be glad to hear why.

*Yeah, I just related our off-topic drift to back to the topic!

Last edited:

Skipper Dan

Disney should have used GotG as the replacement for Star Tours. It would have spared both UoE and ToT at DLR, and solved a different issue that needs adressing in the short term (that being, what to do with the existing SW ride after the newer, more substantial offering opens).

I have been saying the EXACT same thing. Ugh! My God. Help us. If only the Imagineers, would use a little imagination in their reimaginings (that's my new saying).

Kman101

Except for Buena Vista Street, Hollywoodland, Paradise Pier, Pacific Warf, the entire Grizzly Peak area, Grand Californian hotel... Yeah, not much at all.

Grizzly Peak which has Soarin which takes you over everything EXCEPT California now. Hollywoodland will become Marvel Land (well, bugs land going could spare that I suppose but Monsters Inc represents California?). Paradise Pier is becoming Pixar Pier ...

Daveeeeed

Grizzly Peak which has Soarin which takes you over everything EXCEPT California now. Hollywoodland will become Marvel Land (well, bugs land going could spare that I suppose but Monsters Inc represents California?). Paradise Pier is becoming Pixar Pier ...
I agree, currently the park is definitely themed excellently to California, but in the future, it seems that a change might be necessary.

mickEblu

Soarin' over California will be back... I'm willing to bet before the end of the decade. Just at DCA though.

Do you think they would bring it back as a "limited" time offering or just bring it back permanently? Of course they could always do one theatre for California and one for World. On another note, with every thing going the way of the IP (especially at DCA), i wonder how long Soarin has left before it turns into some Marvel flight simulator or the like. I think Grizzly Peak and all within it should be safe so long as the Grand Californian keep the same theme but who knows anymore.

For me it looks like 2012-2015 are going to be the glory days of DCA. Cars land and Buena Vista St opened. TOT, Soarin over California, and no cheesy Pixar Pier. They just refuse to let any nostalgia build at that park. It looks like the park icon is about to go too.

No Name

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. The "front of the park" doesn't have to be themed as "Future World" and doesn't all have to be one encompassing theme anyway. It might actually be better to divide FW into distinct lands with different purposes -- and FW east perhaps could be more of an exploration/discovery kinda concept where GotG might work better.

I mean, yeah, it will be a square peg hammered into a round hole, we all know this. But I'm not against re-imagining FW to a different idea where it would be less incongruent and perhaps everything else might be a bit tighter.

No, it's not neccesarily a bad thing. I just think it'll wind up being a cop-out for a real theme, even moreso than it would've been in 2003.

Say they go with the Gemini idea of "Discovery World." That's supposed to mean discovering human achievement, but it's a broad word. What can't today's Disney strech to fit that banner? I can discover the car-testing process and I can "discover" the Guardians of the Galaxy, but that is the world's weakest connection. At that point, aren't I "discovering" everything in every WDW park? Epcot's pavillions ought to relate in a stronger way.

Maybe they will. Maybe Disney will go with something much better, that I can't think of. Maybe I should be more optimistic. I'm certainly hoping for the best.

Movielover

I contacted Disney through the contact form on their website, and expressed how unhappy I am about the changes they're making to Epcot. I received a very nice response from someone at Disney who said she'd pass my feedback up the chain. One thing she said, that's quite interesting is that one of the things Disney finds frustrating is when people don't give them feedback.

So, anyone who's unhappy with Disney's proposed changes for Epcot...contact them. They need to hear from us. I sent an email through this page. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/ I think the best thing we can do right now is to flood them with feedback. Who's with me?

I'm not trying to be mean or a jack@ss here but when they say "pass the feedback up the chain" I'm almost certain the final place it will end up is...
Trash-icon.png

Again, not trying to be mean but by this time there is no stopping the plans...

RSoxNo1

Except for Buena Vista Street, Hollywoodland, Paradise Pier, Pacific Warf, the entire Grizzly Peak area, Grand Californian hotel... Yeah, not much at all.
Buena Vista Street yes, but it has one attraction.

Hollywoodland is a thematic mess that has mediocre art deco buildings combined with warehouses and the attractions are a Frozen stage show, a Monster's Inc Ride and a Guardians of the Galaxy ride. Nothing about that screams Hollywood.

Paradise Pier is about to become Pixar Pier.

Pacific Wharf, is a nice small area that fits the California theme.

Grizzly Peak used to be Condor Flats and there's nothing overtly California-y about that. The Grand Californian hotel could just as easily be called the Wilderness Lodge. The Grand Floridian Hotel is designed off a hotel in San Diego, so the name doesn't exactly mean much.

RSoxNo1

Why? Theme is the glue that holds the park together, without any, it's just an incoherent collection of lands/ attractions. That's the same situation Epcot faces*.

I understand that many people, who have a much stronger attachment to DL, want California Adventure to be the dumping ground for all ideas that don't naturally fit Disneyland (Marvel Land, Star Wars Land, etc.). But DCA deserves to be more than that. DCA is a theme park, not just a high-quality amusement park.

I would say there's plenty California left, at least aesthetically. There's still Buena Vista street, Hollywood, Route 66, a pier, Yosemite/Redwood, etc. I think it'd be far more logical to build on that, even loosely, than to abandon it.

But if you disagree I'd be glad to hear why.

*Yeah, I just related our off-topic drift to back to the topic!
They've already torn it down. What attraction screams California (and no, California Screamin' doesn't scream California). Soarin' doesn't anymore, Tower of Terror is gone, Cars Land is a loose tie at best. The only thing that really screams California are the Red Car trolleys.

I absolutely agree that you need a cohesive theme to tie it together. It's something that Epcot needs as well and it's why parks like DisneySea and the Animal Kingdom are so amazing. If they didn't do a half #$%&! explanation of the evolution of Future World and Epcot there might be more people on board with some of these changes.

You want to put Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot? Fine. Do it right. (Disney, if you're listening, I'm available for hire).

I said on here long before Disney made it official that Peter Quill could have gone to EPCOT Center. As a framing device, that absolutely works. But they can't make it lip service, they need to sell you on that idea. So here's one way to do it (not the only way, just one way).

In Avengers Infinity War, it's safe to assume that the Guardians of the Galaxy will have some interaction with Doctor Strange. We know that Doctor Strange has access to the time stone and can therefore manipulate time. Therefore, as part of the attraction, the pre-show, and/or the post-show, you can have Doctor Strange help Peter Quill visit classic Epcot attractions.

You have the main attraction be something for the masses with maybe a cursory tour of Epcot through the years with Doctor Strange changing the environment around you (or perhaps Peter or Rocket takes the stone from Doctor Strange and they keep dropping it or some other form of comedic exchange). In the post show, you can utilize the CAVE, DISH, or some other system to virtual experience EPCOT Center in the past.

That gives you the time travel framing device and motivation from an 80s child that wants to see it, all while using a modern intellectual property.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be waiting by my phone.

trainplane3

You have the main attraction be something for the masses with maybe a cursory tour of Epcot through the years with Doctor Strange changing the environment around you (or perhaps Peter or Rocket takes the stone from Doctor Strange and they keep dropping it or some other form of comedic exchange). In the post show, you can utilize the CAVE, DISH, or some other system to virtual experience EPCOT Center in the past.

That gives you the time travel framing device and motivation from an 80s child that wants to see it, all while using a modern intellectual property.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be waiting by my phone.
I don't think I could get mad at a nostalgia filled, time travel ride. It's like the Time Racers concept but only with Epcot attractions. I think that would be the best case scenario at this point.
But then again @marni1971 mentioned a robot thing on top of the UoE building in one of the concepts. That really made me wonder what the direction of this ride is going to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom