Game of Thrones: Season 7

Princess Leia

Original Poster
That's why he stepped away from the show last year. Then he said the book should be out 2017, and then this was his latest update last month:

And, yes, I know you all want to know about THE WINDS OF WINTER too. I've seen some truly weird reports about WOW on the internet of late, by 'journalists' who make their stories up out of whole cloth. I don't know which story is more absurd, the one that says the book is finished and I've been sitting on it for some nefarious reason, or the one that says I have no pages. Both 'reports' are equally false and equally moronic. I am still working on it, I am still months away (how many? good question), I still have good days and bad days, and that's all I care to say. Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream...
I think it's more than just a time management problem. Every author is different and he was never one to just plug away at the story. I don't think he handles pressure well and the anticipation added by all the new fans plus the comparisons to the tv show when it does come out. I wouldn't be surprised if he was blocked. Fire and Blood is probably much easier for him to write at the moment. I also noticed he said none of the series HBO is developing are based on works of his that he is still writing. He says he wants to finish the stories himself before they are adapted.
"Finish the damn books, George," is a favorite saying of mine.

It took him years to figure out how to get various characters in Meereen. I think one of his problems is that the series was strictly meant to be a trilogy, with a 5 year jump. Then he eliminated the time jump and has found himself adding more and more to the story. Books 1-3 only had the following POVs:

Starks- Ned, Catelyn, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Jon

Lannisters- Tyrion & Jaime

Greyjoys- Theon (but only in book 2)

Seaworth- Davos

Targaryen- Daenerys

Tarly- Sam

By the end of Book 5, almost every single character had a POV. 3 more Greyjoys (plus Theon again in Book 5), 2 Martells (and 2 Martell allies), Barristan Selmy, Melisandre, Brienne, Cersei (and Kevyn had an epilogue), and a character named Jon Connington, who was with Tyrion for a bit but is now with the (imposter?) Aegon VI.

I really think George lost his way. I have no idea how he'll complete this story in two books (unless they're both like A Storm of Swords, which is still my favorite of the bunch). He has set up two major battles, one in Essos, one in the North. And that doesn't even cover whatever he plans to do with Sansa, Jaime, Myrcella (maimed but very much alive) and Brienne.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
The actress who plays Melisadra has also said she will not be back until season 8 because she was 8-months pregnant during the filming of her two scenes. They brought her in just for the Dany/Jon meet up. They wanted her for more but she wasn't able to film more.
That makes me wonder about Yara. Gemma Whelan is currently pregnant, so I hope that doesn't have a negative impact for her character.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Potential spoiler warning for everyone:

Apparently some nefarious computer types stole the rest of the season from HBO. Move cautiously amongst the interwebs.
The next episode has been leaked onto Reddit :grumpy: However, this apparently doesn't have anything to do with HBO's other massive leak problem.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I managed not to get spoiled!

Tonight's episode was amazing!
I didn't watch it on Reddit :) Just a general warning that the night is dark and full of terrors, and people keep hacking HBO.

However, I did watch it on HBOGo tonight, and holy flip that was intense?!?!!!!! That was an amazing battle sequence, and I was yelling at my computer more times than I can count.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Awesome episode...

Except for the super deep water that is 6ft away from the shoreline where a horse was running... huh???
Or how the heck the Dothroki & Tyrion were able to get to the outskirts of King's Landing so quickly?

Or (my favorite) why it took so long for Dany and Missendai to have that little chat? I would have thought they would have had a girl talk shortly after Grey Worm left.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
The plot certainly does feel more 'jammed in' vs the wandering drawn out earlier books.
I'd say it's because of the longer episodes, but last night's was the shortest episode, and 20 minutes were just a pure adrenaline rush.

I can't get over how good that battle sequence was.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Honestly, that battle scene combined with Season 5's Hardhome is how I'm picturing next weeks 'Eastwatch' to be.

I am so pumped for this.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Or how the heck the Dothroki & Tyrion were able to get to the outskirts of King's Landing so quickly?

Or (my favorite) why it took so long for Dany and Missendai to have that little chat? I would have thought they would have had a girl talk shortly after Grey Worm left.
If you look at a map Dragonstone is much closer to King Landing than Highgarden and they aren't carting a bunch of supplies either.

misterID

Thoughts....

The writers are not skilled enough to write/handle Tyrion without George. They've totally dropped the ball, a carry over from last season. One of the greatest characters ever on TV and they don't know how to write him. They've just continued making him look like a complete bumbling wreck of a hand. Dany literally asked Jon for advice over Tyrion! Someone who is technically in open rebellion against her, who refuses to bend the knee! Seriously! Has Tyrion done anything right outside releasing the dragons last season?

The battle was good. Made me say Godd*mn a few times. I'd say... BOTB, Hardhome, Spoils. They really tried to replicate the former. I was kind of rooting for Jaimie a few times (I really dislike the Dothroki)

As a dude, I'm not afraid to say I'm outright fangirling over Jon and Dany's budding romance/flirtation/attraction stuff.

I did not think Arya getting into Winterfell was clever or witty. It was a dull waste of time. That was the shortest episode of the entire series. We have so few episodes left. We don't need to spend any time doing another recall skit from season one. It contributed nothing to the story. Just have a guard tell Sansa someone arrived and cut to the reunion in the tombs - there. What a waste of time. I'd rather catch up with Ghost. Or the Hound. Show Jorah boarding a ship. Anything but that crap.

Sansa...... Ugh. Poor Little Finger. All that work for 7 years and now Arya's here. That does not bode well for him. I can see Sansa making a heel turn soon.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
The writers are not skilled enough to write/handle Tyrion without George. They've totally dropped the ball, a carry over from last season. One of the greatest characters ever on TV and they don't know how to write him. They've just continued making him look like a complete bumbling wreck of a hand. Dany literally asked Jon for advice over Tyrion! Someone who is technically in open rebellion against her, who refuses to bend the knee! Seriously! Has Tyrion done anything right outside releasing the dragons last season?
After last season, I agree 100%. I'm watching Season 6 again (meant to catch up before 7 started), and it felt like half of Tyrion's scenes were him just hanging out with Grey Worm and Missandei. Book Tyrion, however, is on a quest of sorts to find Tysha (though I don't believe he'll ever find her).

I'm not sure how much D&D have conversed with GRRM, but when it comes to "Noseless and Handless, the Lannister Boys" (one of my favorite quotes from A Storm of Swords, tbh), the show doesn't know what to do with them anymore. Jaime should have turned against Cersei a couple seasons ago, but especially after she burned part of the city. Yet he's still fighting for her. Tyrion, the man who saved King's Landing at the Battle of the Blackwater, is now reduced to a witty man with family problems and drinking issues. I think Dany's anger in him his majorly misplaced, because without spies (or Varys's little birds), how was Tyrion supposed to know that Euron was planning a surprised boat attack? Or that the Lannister army was to march on Highgarden? Honestly, Dany should be angrier with Varys for not setting up a spy system yet.

I'd rather catch up with Ghost. Or the Hound. Show Jorah boarding a ship. Anything but that crap.
row-row-row-your-boat-gendry-down-the-sea-merrily-6170262.png

Really hoping he shows up at Eastwatch next episode. Will it happen? Probably not, but it was rumored Gendry would return this season.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I really think George lost his way. I have no idea how he'll complete this story in two books (unless they're both like A Storm of Swords, which is still my favorite of the bunch). He has set up two major battles, one in Essos, one in the North. And that doesn't even cover whatever he plans to do with Sansa, Jaime, Myrcella (maimed but very much alive) and Brienne.
He's not going to finish this story. IMO.

It's going to be a Robert Jordan situation, and it's going to fall to another writer to tie up the loose ends George will undoubtedly leave. It's a shame really, because the man is a fantastic story teller, but he has completely lost his way.

Another guy who has seemingly lost the plot is Patrick Rothfuss. He wrote two blindingly brilliant books in a supposed trilogy, and is now stuck on book three, with literally no clue when it's going to be finished. The one saving grace is, he's far younger the Martin, so there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.

I choose to throw my money and support behind Brandon Sanderson. He's every bit the writer those two are, and actually treats his fans with respect. He signs random books in airports and at book stores. He posts constant updates on his website, letting us fans know where he is at in the writing process. He hits his deadlines. He is everything Martin, and too a lesser extent Rothfuss aren't.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
He's not going to finish this story. IMO.

It's going to be a Robert Jordan situation, and it's going to fall to another writer to tie up the loose ends George will undoubtedly leave. It's a shame really, because the man is a fantastic story teller, but he has completely lost his way.

Another guy who has seemingly lost the plot is Patrick Rothfuss. He wrote two blindingly brilliant books in a supposed trilogy, and is now stuck on book three, with literally no clue when it's going to be finished. The one saving grace is, he's far younger the Martin, so there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.

I choose to throw my money and support behind Brandon Sanderson. He's every bit the writer those two are, and actually treats his fans with respect. He signs random books in airports and at book stores. He posts constant updates on his website, letting us fans know where he is at in the writing process. He hits his deadlines. He is everything Martin, and too a lesser extent Rothfuss aren't.
I think he'll get TWOW published. I really think he will, either by December or sometime early next year, but it's 'A Dream of Spring' that worries me. It took him 9 years to write the first 3 books. Contrast that with 17 years (at least) to write books 4-6. That's insane. I understand that the Harry Potter books are a lot smaller than A Song of Ice and Fire, but it took Jo Rowling 17 years to write all seven. She kept herself on a schedule. She continued to build her magical world, but she never lost focus of the plot.

And the dumbest thing about it is that GRRM did have a plan when he started writing the books. He knew how all of this was going to end. He just got very, very lost.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think he'll get TWOW published. I really think he will, either by December or sometime early next year, but it's 'A Dream of Spring' that worries me. It took him 9 years to write the first 3 books. Contrast that with 17 years (at least) to write books 4-6. That's insane. I understand that the Harry Potter books are a lot smaller than A Song of Ice and Fire, but it took Jo Rowling 17 years to write all seven. She kept herself on a schedule. She continued to build her magical world, but she never lost focus of the plot.

And the dumbest thing about it is that GRRM did have a plan when he started writing the books. He knew how all of this was going to end. He just got very, very lost.
I agree that WoW will get published. I actually think there is hope that another book follows it, maybe Martin gets that written or maybe Sanderson finishes it, working off a GRRM manuscript.

What I don't see is him finishing a Song of Ice and Fire. He is 68 years old. He's over 300lbs. He has slowed down considerably writing. His life is posh, he's so rich it's hard to even comprehend. How on earth, is this man going to finish this story?

It's the reason I have not gone back for a 3rd Re-read. It's not worth it at this point. I have a sinking feeling I am not going to be getting any resolution in the written world.

GeoDonJac34

I have a question that maybe someone can help me with. When Arya showed up at Winterfell, the guards told her that Lady Stark was in charge. Arya asked which Lady Stark. There is only one left and I thought she knew the other Stark girls, Catelyn and Talisa, were dead. I'm probably missing something simple here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom