News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

Biff215

Any news on the connection with Lyft? I had seen it rumored that an update to the Lyft app would be pushed out today to accommodate the Minnie Vans. I don't see anything, but then again I'm not in WDW so it may not work from here. Just curious if they're really going to use Lyft for scheduling rides or if that's just a rumor.

Mark P.

Any news on the connection with Lyft? I had seen it rumored that an update to the Lyft app would be pushed out today to accommodate the Minnie Vans. I don't see anything, but then again I'm not in WDW so it may not work from here. Just curious if they're really going to use Lyft for scheduling rides or if that's just a rumor.
Lyft indeed pushed an update for iOS today, which I just installed. I tried specifying BoardWalk Inn as pickup and Magic Kingdom as drop-off but only got the regular options. (I had assumed it would simply be based on specifying a pickup location on property.) Like you, I'm not there yet -- but I will be tomorrow (staying at BWI), so I'll check again then.

MagicHappens1971

I read somewhere the other day that they were using the Lyft app for now (while in the testing phase) and then Disney will roll out its own app.

3WaltFans

Staying at Boardwalk currently, just went to front desk and was told it is not something that can be done right now. They say they are waiting on news and updates with this service. I have seen a few running on the roads but none at our hotel in the last few days. Was hoping to get one for tomorrow, but as of right now you can't.

Biff215

I think I've heard they'll drop off at the airport... do you guys think they'll pick up at the airport, too?
Not sure why they'd go to the airport when they already have DME, although I guess you could argue the same for the internal transportation. The problem with having them go off property at all is the effect it would have on the overall system. Keeping it in WDW limits the number of vehicles they need, and also allows them to avoid dealing with luggage. There's also no way they'd do it for $20.

mm121

I think I've heard they'll drop off at the airport... do you guys think they'll pick up at the airport, too?

would be nice if they did, but not sure i see that being fiscally feasible or practical for the the amount of time it would take to get there and get back.

If they did go to the airport, I'd say they'd definitely want to at least try to fill them up for the return trip

they'd definitely have to charge more than 20 bucks for the airport

mm121

This seems like a lot of commercial drivers for disney to hire. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
depending on the pay, with the way uber is currently treating its drivers i could see some of them wanting to apply to be a minnie van driver instead, though it takes away the whole 'be your own boss' thing

danv3

So if you order this through the Lyft app, does this mean a regular Lyft will no longer be available on property? Otherwise it seems like many would just choose the cheaper option.

Cutigerlady

We are staying at the BW in a few weeks and today when I logged into MDE from my phone, I got pushed a way to sign up with Lyft. I'm assuming it can tell I'm not on property yet because I couldn't actually request a car. It says in all signed up though.

durangojim

Original Poster
I really wonder how well this will do. When I looked today most uber/lyft fares from a resort to a park were around $6-8 with about a 5-7 minute wait. Might be hard for Disney to compete with that at $20 a pop. I could see it working for larger 5+ people in a group

mm121

I really wonder how well this will do. When I looked today most uber/lyft fares from a resort to a park were around $6-8 with about a 5-7 minute wait. Might be hard for Disney to compete with that at $20 a pop. I could see it working for larger 5+ people in a group

dont think the goal is to compete on price, but to provide a disney magical alternative

SirLink

So I use Uber all over the world where it is available. Does Lyft even accept international debit cards or is the app even available outside of the US?.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom