Packing list for kids

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Hey everyone,

What are some must have items for when you're going to/at WDW with kids(specifically 7-8yo)? I'm trying to compile a list of what my cousin should pack for my godson (the one thing I won't have to do). I'm going in September, so I know it can still quite warm in Orlando that time of year, but any other helpful tips, or being towards a list that may already exist would be SO helpful!

Thank you!

Not a packing list, but a rule of thumb that I like to use when packing clothes: one outfit per day, with at least three extra outfits, and additional quick dry shorts and socks to change into after Kali River Rapids or Splash Mountain. Oh, and don't forget Frog Toggs cooling bandanas and bathing suits!

correcaminos

Honestly nothing special for a kid that age. I mean clothes, toiletries, sunscreen, good shoes, swim suit... but what I pack for myself or husband is good for a kid IMO.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not a packing list, but a rule of thumb that I like to use when packing clothes: one outfit per day, with at least three extra outfits, and additional quick dry shorts and socks to change into after Kali River Rapids or Splash Mountain. Oh, and don't forget Frog Toggs cooling bandanas and bathing suits!
Holy cow. I imagine you're a Southwest passenger, where bags fly free.

RememberWhen

Night glow stuff is good. Everyone loves glow sticks. Around that age my sisters and I carried a waist pack with our room key and some holiday money for souvenirs and snacks.

oliviosis

I have younger kids but my SIL brought her kids ponchos, a hat for each and their own refillable water bottles. She also had a travel size spray sunscreen that was really helpful. I downloaded the Heads Up app for my phone and we all had a lot of fun playing that in line.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I have younger kids but my SIL brought her kids ponchos, a hat for each and their own refillable water bottles. She also had a travel size spray sunscreen that was really helpful. I downloaded the Heads Up app for my phone and we all had a lot of fun playing that in line.
My godson loves heads up. Thanks for the tip!

correcaminos

Holy cow. I imagine you're a Southwest passenger, where bags fly free.
Not the poster but I've done 18 packed outfits and 7 pairs of shoes for myself in a carry on. You get creative when you don't like to check bags. We had three roll-aboards for the 3 of us. 2 fans, a couple extra outfits each for the others and all of the toiletries in that plus one electronics bag. It's possible to pack light even with a lot of stuff.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Not the poster but I've done 18 packed outfits and 7 pairs of shoes for myself in a carry on. You get creative when you don't like to check bags. We had three roll-aboards for the 3 of us. 2 fans, a couple extra outfits each for the others and all of the toiletries in that plus one electronics bag. It's possible to pack light even with a lot of stuff.
Teach me your ways! lol

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Honestly nothing special for a kid that age. I mean clothes, toiletries, sunscreen, good shoes, swim suit... but what I pack for myself or husband is good for a kid IMO.
Thanks. I think I'm trying to be over prepared since it will literally just myself and the child!

correcaminos

Thanks. I think I'm trying to be over prepared since it will literally just myself and the child!
That I understand more. It's easier when one can go out hunting for a forgotten item while the other stays with a little one. Truly what I meant is if I pack it for me, I pack it for my kid (and husband). Granted there are some things I have that a kid might not (make up & cell phone) but most everything is the same or similar (like I have dresses, guys have shorts/shirts). So if you bring it for you, bring it for them. Unless they are younger and/or need something special (diapers, special foods, children's shampoo etc) it truly is all the same to me.

Teach me your ways! lol
Rolling items helps so much! I bring a water bottle with me to de-wrinkle upon arrival. Most of my shoes are very flat and if I do bring wedges I will try to wear one of the pair while traveling. All my toiletries go into small travel sized containers. My make up products that are liquid go into little sample sized screw top containers. This lady does similar but I don't even do the zip lock bags.

I even manage a travel sized pillow in all of that LOL. We travel a bunch and I was always taught to travel with carry on only. I had to stop for a while after they didn't let you travel with any liquids at all and while we used diapers and such. Once my 'littlest' was 8 and we got Pre-Check we switched back to carry on only.

Weather_Lady

Here's the packing list for each of my children (in addition to things I pack for us all to share, like foodstuffs and First Aid supplies, or things I keep with me until we arrive, like the kids' Magicbands) -- they each have their own 21" rolling suitcase (we travel carryon only), and the things they need in-flight are either packed into a small backpack of theirs, or tossed into my or DH's "personal item."

Actually, the items listed below don't completely fill their suitcases, so the extra space is occupied by breakfast stuff on the way down (e.g., mini cereal boxes, Pop Tarts) and souvenirs on the way back.

Lay out ahead:
1 - Travel outfit (including bulkiest clothing, e.g., jeans, hoodie, sneakers, tee, sunglasses)
2 - In-flight entertaiment (books, electronics with chargers, ear buds, cards) and/or snacks (e.g., granola bars, apples, empty water bottle with filter), and "comfort items" (my 10-year-old son may be all macho and independent during the day, but he still can't sleep without his favorite blankie at night, so it travels with us)

In ~21" rolling carryon, in packing cubes:
3 - several warm-weather outfits (1 per day plus 1 extra, or half that amount, if doing laundry mid-week), with each set of shorts, tee, socks and underwear stacked, folded and carefully rolled together into an "outfit burrito" so the kids can simply grab one from a drawer and get dressed by themselves each day
4 - waterproof hiking sandals (for park touring with wet rides, rainy days, visiting the pool, or just for a change of footwear)
5 - pajamas
6 - swimsuit, swimshirt, goggles
7 - sun visor or baseball cap
8 - one "nice" outfit, if visiting a signature restaurant
9 - autograph book(s) and pen
10 - child-sized Dollar Tree ponchos (or adult-size ponchos, trimmed down) for Kali River Rapids and/or rainy days
11 - glow sticks and/or mini-flashlight, if desired
12 - small dopp kit or pouch with hairbrush/comb and non-liquid toiletry or hygiene items (e.g., deodorant, toothbrush, floss, chapstick)

In carryon, in outside pockets:
13 - 3-1-1 bag with sunscreen and any liquid toiletries (e.g., toothpaste)
14 - shorts to change into mid-trip, if traveling from cold weather

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom