Animal Kingdom & the 50th Anniversary

Kman101

Because MK has significantly less rides than its Disneyland counterpart, so you have massive queues for rides like Winnie The Pooh, Peter Pan & Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. The park needs significant capacity since it being the number 1 park cannot change. When TRON opens, there won't even been an E-ticket added in 27 years!!!! In fact, 20K Leagues Under The Sea was removed so we are in a deficit. That is a massive problem. MK needs expansion as do the other parks for capacity. But what they are doing currently is they are adding IPs that can draw people into the other parks. TRON as a ride will, but not too many people love TRON the IP.

Agreed, very much agreed. But I think the TRON coaster will drag more people in. It's a new coaster. In the busiest park. TRON will have nothing to do with it's popularity on some level. The MK needs more. The theater will help some.

DisneyOutsider

I'll be SO frustrated if they replace Rivers of Light with an IP-driven show.

It's really a beautiful show that reinforces the message of AK without dumbing things down through the use of movie clips .. it's exactly what many of us purists in this community hoped it would be, and Disney deserves kudos for creating it... and yet we collectively consider it underwhelming. I guess maybe we'll get what we deserve (assuming Jim Hill's Intel has any legs... big assumption, I know)

Kman101

It's really a beautiful show that reinforces the message of AK without dumbing things down through the use of movie clips .. it's exactly what many of us purists in this community hoped it would be, and Disney deserves kudos for creating it... and yet we collectively consider it underwhelming. I guess maybe we'll get what we deserve (assuming Jim Hill's Intel has any legs... big assumption, I know)

I'd like this twice if I could. They need to rework ROL a bit but it's overall a very complimentary show of AK. The floats are beautiful. The projections need the most work. I wouldn't hate a brief montage of Disney-animal characters, if they insist, but I'd hate to see the whole show become IP driven. I get to some it's underwhelming or not very good but would slapping characters in there suddenly make it better? I don't think it would. Sure, maybe the under 10 crowd will eat it up now (ugh, they are so worried about mommy bloggers and their kids).

No Name

I'm sure that Rivers of Light's less-then-stellar results will be pointed to whenever someone in the company suggests another ride or show without Disney characters. The execs now have their desired evidence. Of course someone could point to many rides, the most recent being Soarin' and Everest, as evidence against that, but all Bob Chapek has to do is say "Rivers of Light!" and the idea is dead.

When you have a IP-free endeavor in TWDC, there's a lot on the line. Unfortunately Rivers of Light fell on the wrong side of that line.

prfctlyximprct

Joe Rohde has been on a business trip in Bali for the last 10 days.

He says its a work trip here:

He has been posting on his Instagram a lot about all the influences Bali had on AK. Check out the dozens of posts he has made here: https://www.instagram.com/joerohde/ it has been very interesting.

Maybe some new Asia attraction?

Where does the next Indiana jones take place?

The Empress Lilly

He has been posting on his Instagram a lot about all the influences Bali had on AK. Check out the dozens of posts he has made here: https://www.instagram.com/joerohde/ it has been very interesting.

Yes please! Do built an Indonesian area between the north of Asia and the, aha!, Indonesian village along the railway track.

Orang-Utans + slow moving boat ride ftw!

Meeko77

You know I have noticed that RoL ads or anything pertaning to it quietly faded very quickly... How have crowds been for it?

I went on a Saturday earlier this month for the 2nd show of the night. The theater was about half-full. Thought it was a nice show - much better than the Jungle Book.

ppete1975

Fixing Dinoland and the yeti should be a priority if they're going to be doing anything at AK. I'd prefer a new continent, but I'm sure that with Pandora that's off the table for a while. Unless its Endor or Tatooine or the planet where they keep Depp between movies.
Fixing Yeti wont add guests or eat guests. As much as I want it fixed, outside of the people that know its broken in the big picture its not a huge issue. They need to build new rides and attractions, not rethemes that spread people out and attract more guests (personally id rather have less guests but that's not good for business)

EricsBiscuit

Fixing Yeti wont add guests or eat guests. As much as I want it fixed, outside of the people that know its broken in the big picture its not a huge issue. They need to build new rides and attractions, not rethemes that spread people out and attract more guests (personally id rather have less guests but that's not good for business)
Good points but what makes Disney Disney is attention to detail. The new lighting is an improvement but I want my darn yeti!

RSoxNo1

It will draw people away from Pandora and better spread out the crowds that are craving the first new E-ticket in 11 years.

Mat Cauthon

Jim Hill said Rivers of Light is going to run three years, make back its investment, and be replaced with a Disney's Animal Kingdom IP-driven nighttime show for the 50th.
Serious question...how does a show that is included with admission to the park make back it's investment? Unless they expect the dinner packages to do that. I would think once built unless it causes a significant increase in park attendance it is an expense due to maintenance and wages but I admit to being ignorant on the workings of the park investment recovery.

Dapper Dan

Serious question...how does a show that is included with admission to the park make back it's investment? Unless they expect the dinner packages to do that. I would think once built unless it causes a significant increase in park attendance it is an expense due to maintenance and wages but I admit to being ignorant on the workings of the park investment recovery.
The easiest metric would be to see if guests are staying later in the evening to see the show. The theory being that if they stay in the park longer, they are buying more food and merch, especially all those night time light up whirly gigs.

Epcot82Guy

As much as I am not always an IP-invasion fan, Rivers of Light and DAK actually has one of the better opportunities here. The show - while visually stunning - is a bit haphazzard and weak in its current form (sort of like Cirque if half the acts sprained their ankles or something). With that, the animal projections and concepts there are pretty amazing. If you took the concept of Rivers of Light and used Disney classic stories (i.e. songs) reorchestrated to fit and with the actual animals vs. the characters, you would have a pretty compelling show that would please the masses. Sort of a new way to tell the stories...

Much like I:ROE, I wish they would take the foundation and build upon it. (Though I know that means you lose the rebrand and marketing of A BRAND NEW SHOW!!!!!!!)

2351metalcloud

Has he explicitly mentioned only AK in regards to Bali? I looked through some of the photos and didn't see anything, but he's posted a lot of photos.

Indonesia could make a decent transition between Japan and Morocco for World Showcase I think. He mentioned in a recent photo a similarity between something he saw in Bali and something he's seen Hawaii in "heiaus". The pad between Japan and Morocco is close to the hook shaped island in the lagoon. In the movie Moana, a hook plays an important part in the movie. I suspect many people here would dislike the idea of something from Moana being incorporated into the World Showcase somehow like via a dock built in front of the Bali pavilion, but something like that might be interesting to me.

In my opinion, something inspired by things in Bali might also be appealing for something in Shanghai or Hong Kong like a hotel.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom