New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Fantasmicguy

There is something wrong with screens when they are used as opposed to great show scenes and not because they would be best. Escape From Gringotts was disappointing in almost every aspect except the queue. What should have been mostly a roller coaster with a few major showscenes became a motion simulator that was exactly like most the rest of the park. It was a major downgrade from the amazing Forbidden Journey which was an almost perfect mix that I felt truly put you into the movie as opposed to letting you watch one which moving around. If the forest attraction can use screens as well as Forbidden Journey I will be hyped for it. If the ride is like Gringotts I will definitely be disappointed.

Just4Pics

One big downside no one's brought up yet is that this will be a significant blow to park capacity. One B&M invert running three trains can accommodate nearly 1,700 guests an hour, and the Dragons were two of them. No matter what Universal puts in their place, it won't be anywhere near the maneaters they were together.

There's a difference between how much a ride CAN accommodate vs how much it actually does. I'm a pass holder for Uni and almost always do dragon challenge at least once per visit and every time I've been on it those trains almost always run part empty.

Large capacity is meaningless if people don't get on the ride. The same is true for UoE at Epcot. Just because it can seat a lot of people doesn't mean a lot of people actually show up.

Bairstow

There's a difference between how much a ride CAN accommodate vs how much it actually does. I'm a pass holder for Uni and almost always do dragon challenge at least once per visit and every time I've been on it those trains almost always run part empty.

Large capacity is meaningless if people don't get on the ride. The same is true for UoE at Epcot. Just because it can seat a lot of people doesn't mean a lot of people actually show up.

That's a good point. I haven't personally observed the Dragons running partially-empty, but then I've never been a passholder.

phillip9698

One big downside no one's brought up yet is that this will be a significant blow to park capacity. One B&M invert running three trains can accommodate nearly 1,700 guests an hour, and the Dragons were two of them. No matter what Universal puts in their place, it won't be anywhere near the maneaters they were together.

Rides are only maneaters if there are men on them. That ride has been walk on for years now. Seems like no matter when I go I can walk right on and get the seat I want.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Good news. Will keep the HP fans coming. Family Friendly even better. Wonder how it will compare to the Slinky Coaster Disney is building at the Studios. :cyclops:

JT3000

I'm disappointed with this announcement. Not the fact that they're replacing DC, but the announcement itself. No details or concept art? Come on, guys. You clearly weren't ready to say anything.

As for the ride itself, it will basically be an improvement for myself no matter what they do, as I don't ride large, inverting coasters. It's a bit sad that one of the park's icons is leaving, but it was no longer operating as intended and I'll at least be able to ride its replacement.

I am a bit curious about the size of this attraction, as DC takes up a HUGE amount of space, and I would have thought it could be replaced by at least two new attractions, if not more. Either this is a very, very large attraction, they're wasting a ton of space, or they're planning other things that they're failing to mention.

When it's overused for no reason it is, Sure Na'vi "Overused" screens but Disney did that either because intense budget cuts or cause it wouldn't work as a practical effect

Most of the scenes depicted in Universal's screens wouldn't work as practical effects either. But I don't think "intense budget cuts" is an acceptable excuse. Either way, there's no reason to assume this will be a screen-based ride. It will most likely include a few, but this isn't a motion simulating ride system that necessitates their use. I think we will see at least a few practical dark ride scenes here, and possibly some outdoor scenes as well.

For those of you expecting a typical coaster that doesn't slow down much -- don't. I suspect this will be a "coaster" in much the same way Gringotts is, with their ride systems being chosen because they can add extra thrills to what are otherwise dark rides.

I dont get the SPiderman hype. Transformers is a better ride IMO. More action.

That's the problem many have with Transformers. It's all action, no pacing. Spider-Man is a better paced experience that tells a clearer story. Transformers: The Ride might as well be Michael Bay: The Ride. It stays very faithful to the films, but not everyone will consider that a positive.

Last edited:

No Name

Wow, I don't understand any of the negative reactions. Are people really nostalgic for that ugly monstrosity? It was poorly-themed for Lost Continent, and it sticks out like a sore thumb in WWHoP. They also don't duel anymore. I'm so so very glad to see it go.

If they were replacing this with a field of grass, I'd be happy. A themed ride? Heck yeah, I'll take it. Plus it's a coaster. What are they losing?

This thread joins in contention for the most bizarre reactions from fans of themed entertainment.

Good news. Will keep the HP fans coming. Family Friendly even better. Wonder how it will compare to the Slinky Coaster Disney is building at the Studios. :cyclops:

Disney's also building a GotG coaster in Epcot and the Tron launch coaster in MK.

So I wonder how one new coaster will compare to three. Hmmm. Yeah, I thought so. Eat your words, son! :cool:

Last edited:

Andy_0410

I am excited about something new for HP but will be sad to see this leave as always enjoyed it despite it being a shadow of its former self
Now if the parks could just stop closing rides before I come in October that would be great! Had already got a list of last chances to ride rides this time round and they have nearly all closed before I get there!

cheezbat

Not thrilled about this. Inverts are my fave. These were the only dueling inverted coasters in the world. I know they haven't dueled for years, and its seen better days, but these were thrill rides. Sounds like we're losing two big boy coasters for one family Coaster. That plot of land had better get more rides or this will be a waste to me.

Oh...and how come the Dragons are getting the axe, yet that piece of garbage Rip Ride Rockit is still standing? Or the Sindbad show? Or Fear Factor Live? Or even the abandoned Toon Lagoon amphitheater? Priorities....should've expanded into one of these garbage attractions before going back to Potter IMO.

JT3000

Disney's also building a GotG coaster in Epcot and the Tron launch coaster in MK.

So I wonder how one new coaster will compare to three. Hmmm. Yeah, I thought so. Eat your words, son! :cool:

Quality over quantity. ;) Kiddie coasters and Test Track 2.0 having illegitimate children with Space Mountain (I guess we know who won custody) sound like fun and all, but this could be an actual well themed E-ticket.

Oh...and how come the Dragons are getting the axe, yet that piece of garbage Rip Ride Rockit is still standing? Or the Sindbad show? Or Fear Factor Live? Or even the abandoned Toon Lagoon amphitheater? Priorities....should've expanded into one of these garbage attractions before going back to Potter IMO.

I think it's more about possibilities than priorities. This presents them the chance to add onto their most lucrative property, with plenty of space to work with. Rockit can be replaced, but only with something similar. Sindbad can be improved or replaced, but not with anything as lucrative as Potter, unless they jeapordize LC's remaining theming. Fear Factor can't be replaced by a ride or even a popular year-round show, they need the theater for HHN. Toon Lagoon... I have no idea why they haven't done anything with that.

Last edited:

Just4Pics

That's a good point. I haven't personally observed the Dragons running partially-empty, but then I've never been a passholder.

I imagine they would probably be mostly full during peak times. As a local I only go on non peak times. Honestly, I've only rarely seen them run both sides. They are usually only running 1 track when I'm there and it's still a walk on.

On the flip side, even on the deadest of days both HP rides have at least of 20 min wait. At least from my observation.

I'm sure whatever they put in there will be much more of a draw than dragon challenge, RIP.

captainkidd

I dont get the SPiderman hype. Transformers is a better ride IMO. More action.

As someone else said, Spidey tells a great story. Transformers is all over the place. It's so silly. Megatron is after the Allspark for 5 minutes, then gets it punched into him, and is destroyed. Why not do that right away?

imperius

We get it, you like Disney more than Universal. There is nothing wrong with this decision as Potter isn't going anywhere. It's a timeless IP and DC needed to go. They are also building Nintendo soon, a brand new park, and other upgrades which just haven't been announced yet. So how do you get a little bit of the Star Wars crowd? It's easy, build a new Potter ride, then continue on with your other plans.

JT3000

Instead of Universal focusing on different ride experiences and improving upon the theme park visitor experience, they are investing and reinvesting money into the same bucket. That is my point. More Potter does not expand upon there base.

I can't wait to hear how the installation of a new ride system seen nowhere else on property doesn't count as "focusing on different ride experiences," or how opening a new attraction in general doesn't "improve upon the theme park visitor experience." It seems to check both those boxes as far as I can tell.

Also, you are 100% wrong to assume that Potter is a timeless IP, because all themes and stories are generational. For example, prior to the reinvigorated creative investment from Disney and Lucas, kids were not interested in Starwars. Disney brought this IP back from the dead essentially by making large creative and financial investments. Now it is at its height of popularity.

Do you actually believe the words you're typing?

How?

imperius

I agree it'll be interesting to see how Harry potter holds up in 20+ years from now, and i find it very amusing to watch Universal dedicate ALL of there advertisement and remaining space in the park for potter.

Disney has MANY beloved IP's that surpass potter in popularity and known for long term, it seems Universal only has one IP that can do the same so far.

I must say if i came for a week vacation i'd stay at a Universal (Express pass) hotel than a Disney hotel. the setup is VERY relaxing and convent.
Huh? Which IPs outside of Star Wars does Disney have that surpass Potter? Looking at the new rides and the upcoming:
Pandora? No
Tron? No
Little Mermaid? No
Ratatouille? No
GOTG? No
Mickey? Ok

They also are not using any more space for HP with this move. They are taking down a massive steel coaster in the Hogsmeade area and making a better themed experience with probably new shops and food also. There is nothing wrong with this. SNW is also coming and a new park so it's not all Potter.

Disneyhead'71

So I wrote a thought out post and you come up with I like Disney better than Universal??
To be transparent, I do as a whole like the Disney experience better but that is not what that post was about. Also, I tend to think that Universal has some better attractions than Disney. For example, I can be objective. Harry Potter IMO is the best land in all of Orlando. Perhaps the world. Period!! I give credit where credit is do.

I know we live in this world where we try to discredit others by making blanketed statements like, "I get it you like Disney more than Universal" but once again that is not what motivated that post and if that's what you got out of it you simply didn't read it or are such a Universal fan that you fail to see some Ioda of logic in it.

My point was Universal already has the male oriented crowd with rides such as Harry Potter, Transformers, king, etc, etc, etc.
For example, Disney, has spent the past 5-10 years hyper focusing on the Princess thing, and Magic band stuff, which I believe was a smart move. They are now diversifying with male oriented attractions and more transportation stuff.

Instead of Universal focusing on different ride experiences and improving upon the theme park visitor experience, they are investing and reinvesting money into the same bucket. That is my point. More Potter does not expand upon there base.

Also, you are 100% wrong to assume that Potter is a timeless IP, because all themes and stories are generational. For example, prior to the reinvigorated creative investment from Disney and Lucas, kids were not interested in Starwars. Disney brought this IP back from the dead essentially by making large creative and financial investments. Now it is at its height of popularity.

Perhaps Warner Bros will try to do the same thing but it's not always the easiest thing to do.
For example, Fantastical Beasts although did alright in the box office it is an all but forgettable IP.

Anyway just creating conversation. Nothing more and nothing less. Thanks for reading this long a-- post. Haha
The IP is actually "The Wizarding World of JK Rowling" and there is more product coming in both print media and films.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom