Pre-Trip All-aboard! Yacht Club in July '17.

Since 2007 our family tradition has been to go to WDW every two years. The tradition almost died in 2015 but 3 out of 5 of us saved it with a day trip. This year, with the help of a convention, we are going to the Yacht Club in July!

The Specifics (so far). I am a member of AHEPA which is like a Greek Knights of Columbus. A terrific organization that raises money for scholarships and good deeds in our community.
The AHEPA national convention this year is at WDW and they managed to secure a terrific group rate. So good in fact that I was able to convince my "not so much loving Disney" wife to agree to a trip! We've stayed at the Beach Club twice but never the Yacht Club. I'm beyond excited. We will be checking in Tues July 24th and leaving Sun the 30th.

The Players. The saddest thing about this trip will be the absence of my oldest daughter Alexandra. She graduated from College last year and is now enrolled in an accelerated nursing program. Her schedule just won't allow here to get away. I'm sure she'll be there for the 2019 trip!

DSC07422-XL.jpg

Who is going -

Myself (Chris). Disney lover trying desperately to cling to a family with 3 children that is now in reality 2 adults and a teenager. Photography enthusiast hungry for more Disney photos. Head planner and decision maker (which often leads to getting myself in trouble).

My lovely wife (Val). Those that read my other reports will not be surprised to know that Val will be the least excited to be on our trip. I think her exact words were "I'm not going to Disney again, and especially not in the *$%##@ middle of Summer!" Considerable compromises and sacrifices were made to get her to say yes. Here is a picture of the two of us from last summer. I'm not nearly as tan now as then but hopefully will be by our trip.

DSC02030-XL.jpg

Sterg - My 20 year old son will be with us this time. He missed our 2015 trip to Clearwater that included the one day at WDW. He's a sophomore at Penn State studying in the field of IT and on the swim team. He will be the source of much entertainment and laughs; if I don't kill him first. Here he is in the pool. Notice the shaved eyebrow; evidence of a bet that didn't go his way.

DSC01116-X2.jpg

Toni - When my last teenager isn't wrapping me around her little finger, she is busy with schoolwork and more dance classes than Mikhail Baryshnikov. Toni loves Disney as much as I do and we are usually the only members of the early morning Park contingency. Here she is holding our dog Prince.

DSC05205-XL.jpg

to be continued...

Last edited:

DznyRktekt

Second - my Mom has been having some issues with her left knee. She's been to the doctor several times, including last week. His advise to her for our trip is to skip the parks and just stay at the resort! :eek::eek:
Now we are trying to decide between getting a power scooter or wheelchair. I dread the scooter because of the whole issue with the buses, but my sister is pushing for that because it will also help at the hotel.
Our family has rented a push wheel chair at the parks for my mom the last few visits. She recently had some heart issues and it helps with conserving her energy. I would suggest this as an option.

SweetEvangeline

You can rent a manual wheelchair from many places off site that will deliver right to your hotel room. That way you have it 24-7 so you don't have to turn it in while going back and forth from the parks. We have done it and it works beautifully!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I enjoyed your photography lesson for fireworks video. The more I watched it, the more I kept thinking about EPCOT, and how they need more edutainment features like this--just like years ago.

For example, when I go to Flower & Garden Festival, they have guest (horticultural) speakers in the F&G center (the former WOL pavilion). I think you could do something like that, and photography could fit in well (with any event at WDW--so many opportunities around the parks for some amazing photographs)

So not only could you share your expertise with guests, but since you're also a WDW fan, you could suggest good locations, and even times of day, to get some of the best photos. :)

fractal

Original Poster
I enjoyed your photography lesson for fireworks video. The more I watched it, the more I kept thinking about EPCOT, and how they need more edutainment features like this--just like years ago.

For example, when I go to Flower & Garden Festival, they have guest (horticultural) speakers in the F&G center (the former WOL pavilion). I think you could do something like that, and photography could fit in well (with any event at WDW--so many opportunities around the parks for some amazing photographs)

So not only could you share your expertise with guests, but since you're also a WDW fan, you could suggest good locations, and even times of day, to get some of the best photos. :)

thanks for the feedback!

Zipadeelady

First full episode is up!
Tips on shooting Fireworks...

8 days to go and I'm getting excited!

Some issues are popping up however to cause me some angst.

First - we haven't received our magic bands yet and the tracking number given is useless as it's not giving any update. We are leaving Thursday evening for Tampa so we don't have much time left. :eek:

Second - my Mom has been having some issues with her left knee. She's been to the doctor several times, including last week. His advise to her for our trip is to skip the parks and just stay at the resort! :eek::eek:
Now we are trying to decide between getting a power scooter or wheelchair. I dread the scooter because of the whole issue with the buses, but my sister is pushing for that because it will also help at the hotel.

Third - Val's Dad recently helped someone with moving and hurt himself. He may need some sort of assistance! :eek::eek::eek:

Looks like I'm going to have to really dial up my patience levels.

Loved the video!!! I even learned what the "bulb" feature is and how to use it! I need more of these videos.

Regarding obstacles, I would be very anxious about the magic band too. I hope they arrive soon. As for Mom, I would get a scooter if a wheel chair is out of the question. We all know how everyone on here feels about scooters but if it's for a necessary issue most people are understanding. Just don't make her stay at the resort. ;) And on Val's dad depending on your relationship maybe you can leave him at the resort.:eek::D

Notes from Neverland

Great video with some great tips. Hoping there are more to come! In the past, I've done the pure basics when it comes to documenting/capturing the trip, but I'd like to step my game up there.

Any recommendations for a decent entry-level camera for someone starting out? I know that's probably an impossible question as everyone has different budgets, but I'm curious.

fractal

Original Poster
Our family has rented a push wheel chair at the parks for my mom the last few visits. She recently had some heart issues and it helps with conserving her energy. I would suggest this as an option.
Thanks for the suggestion.

You can rent a manual wheelchair from many places off site that will deliver right to your hotel room. That way you have it 24-7 so you don't have to turn it in while going back and forth from the parks. We have done it and it works beautifully!
Didn't know that - thanks!

Loved the video!!! I even learned what the "bulb" feature is and how to use it! I need more of these videos.

Regarding obstacles, I would be very anxious about the magic band too. I hope they arrive soon. As for Mom, I would get a scooter if a wheel chair is out of the question. We all know how everyone on here feels about scooters but if it's for a necessary issue most people are understanding. Just don't make her stay at the resort. ;) And on Val's dad depending on your relationship maybe you can leave him at the resort.:eek::D

Thanks @Zipitidoda ! I'm glad it was worthwhile for you.

Apparently the bands should arrive today. We'll see. My sister is really pushing the scooter and since my Mom is staying with her I think she's going to win the argument.

Regarding my Father-in-law; I appreciate the sentiment. :D I however, am lucky enough to have great in-laws so he's going with us - one way or the other.

Great video with some great tips. Hoping there are more to come! In the past, I've done the pure basics when it comes to documenting/capturing the trip, but I'd like to step my game up there.

Any recommendations for a decent entry-level camera for someone starting out? I know that's probably an impossible question as everyone has different budgets, but I'm curious.

Thanks @TheDude23 !

I think this thread might be able to help with your question. Let me know if you have any more questions after reading it.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wannabe-photographer.926269/

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

First full episode is up!
Tips on shooting Fireworks...

8 days to go and I'm getting excited!

Some issues are popping up however to cause me some angst.

First - we haven't received our magic bands yet and the tracking number given is useless as it's not giving any update. We are leaving Thursday evening for Tampa so we don't have much time left. :eek:

Third - Val's Dad recently helped someone with moving and hurt himself. He may need some sort of assistance! :eek::eek::eek:

Looks like I'm going to have to really dial up my patience levels.

So your shirt really pops when I stream this to the 4k big screen. I never would have thought to wear the neck strap while it's on the tripod.

Would like to see your input on getting better shots in a gymnasium. A setting that usually has poor lights in general and sometimes you cannot get close to a target.
Got 'em!

IMG_8104-X2.jpg

phew!

Sigh of relief and fist pump when that arrives. As far as the elders just be careful of the heat.

fractal

Original Poster
So your shirt really pops when I stream this to the 4k big screen. I never would have thought to wear the neck strap while it's on the tripod.

Would like to see your input on getting better shots in a gymnasium. A setting that usually has poor lights in general and sometimes you cannot get close to a target.

Sigh of relief and fist pump when that arrives. As far as the elders just be careful of the heat.

Thanks for the feedback. This is a learning process so it's much appreciated.

I have a lot of experience with shots in gymnasiums, pools, theaters (indoor poor lighting).

To get good to great shots you need a long telephoto lens with a wide aperture. I have a 200mm 2.8 lens I use or an 85mm 1.8 lens. The wide aperture will allow more light to help you overcome the fact that you need a fast shutter to freeze the action.

You'll need your ISO levels high (1600 -3200), a shutter speed of at least 1/500 sec. (I'll typically shoot at 1/800 to 1/1000 for sports and dance) and your aperture as wide as it can go.

If you don't have a "fast" lens and want to make it easier; your best bet is to get as close to the action as possible, set your camera to "sports shooting" mode and hope for the best.

Good reminder on the elders.

Sabriel

Just a head's up, depending on the amount of days you'll be needing a wheelchair, it may be cheaper to just buy one.
My family made a ten day trip to the parks and buying one on Amazon worked out to be cheaper than renting.

Also, had to laugh about the lights being left on. I tell my dad if he ever comes back as a ghost, I'll know it's him because he'll be the one following everyone around turning off lights. :hilarious:

DisneyGigi

Just started the fireworks video, your pictures are always amazing and I stink at any night photos so looking forward to it. Feel ya on the magicbands. I hate their tracking, it doesn't show updates forever. My mailman knows that I will be stalking him when it is Disney trip time, laughs when I meet him at the top of driveway every day. Hope you guys have a great trip and cannot wait to see your amazing photos!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom