Which ice cream shoppe?

Twoprincesses116

Original Poster
Want to take kids out for ice cream one evening. Should we try for Beaches and Cream or just go to Ghirardelli's since we're going to Disney Springs one evening?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Since you are already planning to go to Disney Springs, Ghirardelli's would be easier of the two choices. Beaches and Cream has a take-out counter (if you can't get an ADR) but unless you are staying in the Epcot resort area and can walk to B&C it can be a time-consuming challenge to get there.

correcaminos

Better than both of those IMO is Ample Hills at the Boardwalk. If I had to pick between the two you listed, I would do Ghirardelli. As an FYI Beaches an Cream serves Edy's (kind of inexpensive at the grocery stores) and save the full kitchen sink, is the same stuff served at the Ice Cream Parlor on Main St. You just have to create the sundaes yourself there.

ToTBellHop

Absolutely Ample Hills.

$12 for an ice cream sundae from Ghirardelli that includes icy ice cream? No thanks.

Beaches and Cream is Edy's ice cream in a nicely-themed broom closet.

Ample Hills is cheaper than Ghirardelli and provides a better product than both.

DisneyJill

we just did the kitchen sink on our last trip, and while it was FUN and has quite the fanfare, the sundae itself is a hot mess with really contradictory flavors. i much prefer the no way jose. the kids had a great time, but next time we'll probably do ample hills instead. :)

Disney Khi

If you are in the Epcot resort area, do Ample Hills. It's amazing ice cream. If you are not going to be there but will be at Disney Springs, do Ghiradelli. I always enjoy their sundaes.

Kevin_W

we just did the kitchen sink on our last trip, and while it was FUN and has quite the fanfare, the sundae itself is a hot mess with really contradictory flavors. i much prefer the no way jose. the kids had a great time, but next time we'll probably do ample hills instead. :)

The chocolate lovers kitchen sink is the way to go!

Ample hills is much better ice cream, but my daughter still talks about when we did the kitchen sink 2-3 years ago. We have really good ice cream locally, but we don't have anything like that.

alissafalco

Absolutely Ample Hills.

$12 for an ice cream sundae from Ghirardelli that includes icy ice cream? No thanks.

Beaches and Cream is Edy's ice cream in a nicely-themed broom closet.

Ample Hills is cheaper than Ghirardelli and provides a better product than both.
Im with you on B&C, my local Friendlys is a 1000x better than B&C. Ive also boycotted Ghirardelli ever since they got rid of the gold rush and no longer sell anything with peanut butter in it. Ample Hills is the way to go!!

bigrigross

I'm excited to try Ample Hills on my trip.

You wont regret it. My wife and I decided to check out the DVC resorts on the boardwalk area and we came across ample hills by mistake. Best mistake ever. If I remember right, most everything there was considered a snack credit I believe as well if you are doing DDP.

Edit: The small cup of ice-cream and small cone are DDP eligible. But to be honest, it was a lot for what they consider a small.

Mickey5150

All ice cream in WDW is awesome, so you can't go wrong. What i think is wrong is when people try to limit their ice cream to just once. I will add that if you are in WDW during the F&W fesitval, stop by the festival center and pick up some free Ghiradelli chocolate and coupons to use in Disney Springs. Mmmmm, ice cream.

Mickey5150

One place I forgot to mention is L'Artisan des Glaces in France. It has the greatest ice cream sandwich that has EVER been invented. A warm brioche bun wrapped around you choice of ice cream and filled with your choice of sauce. Croque Glace, which I am pretty sure is French for "Ice Cream Sandwich on Crack." If you have never had one, then you have not truly lived.

becca_

\What i think is wrong is when people try to limit their ice cream to just once.
Lol, so true!!

I know B&C isn't anything special but it just feels so quaint in there, like I've been transported to an old time soda fountain. Haven't tried Ample Hills - it's on my list for January!

correcaminos

The chocolate lovers kitchen sink is the way to go!

Ample hills is much better ice cream, but my daughter still talks about when we did the kitchen sink 2-3 years ago. We have really good ice cream locally, but we don't have anything like that.
Just go to the grocery store and buy Edy's yourself. Throw in a bunch of flavors that don't blend well and voila!

One place I forgot to mention is L'Artisan des Glaces in France. It has the greatest ice cream sandwich that has EVER been invented. A warm brioche bun wrapped around you choice of ice cream and filled with your choice of sauce. Croque Glace, which I am pretty sure is French for "Ice Cream Sandwich on Crack." If you have never had one, then you have not truly lived.
Oddly I was less than impressed with it myself. Maybe people hyped it up too much but I did not like the bun with it.

Kevin_W

Just go to the grocery store and buy Edy's yourself. Throw in a bunch of flavors that don't blend well and voila!

Oddly I was less than impressed with it myself. Maybe people hyped it up too much but I did not like the bun with it.

We got the chocolate lover's kitchen sink, which at least blends well. The original is gross. :)

I was surprised that I enjoyed the ice cream sandwich at L'Artisan. Ice cream on warm bread sounded weird, but we really enjoyed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom