Buy Direct 1st then Resale 2nd?

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
Or the other way around?

In either case the direct purchase is the smallest amount just to be official.

Is there a strategy here? Can you buy less points direct after having a resale first?

I'm staring at a 50 point offer direct, but not a current DVC owner anywhere.

From reading other sources, I might be able to buy as little as 25 add-on points Disney Direct, if I were to have already been a DVC owner, at which point buying resale first seems to be logical, reducing costs Disney Direct significantly.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

GCTales

The other question I have with buying some direct and some through resale... At different resorts...

How do reservations work.... Say you have 50 direct at copper and 100 at BLT through resale.

You want to make a reservation at BLT that requires all 150 (not including banking /borrowing to keep this simple) Can you only make the 100 pt reservation at BLT and then have to wait for the 7mo window to complete your reservations? Or can you take all your points and make the whole 150pts res at the 11 mo window for one of your two "home" resorts?

EDIT: Never mind.. Found the answer... You only get the 11 mo window for the points at the home resort and have to wait for 7mo date for rest of points.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

For ages the hard minimum on points direct was 100. I've seen reports from people lately being able to buy as few as 50 points from DVD direct. However, current owners can buy as few as 25 points. So that means that 25 point deeds are available on the resale market.

Why do you want to buy points from each? The only benefit to buying a small contract from DVD would be to be eligible for discounts and other member perks. Your trade/usage ability is still tied to how the points in question were purchased, regardless of if you have points bought direct or not.

So if your only goal was to be eligible for discounts, then buy whatever contract you desire on resale, and then buy a 25 point deed from DVD direct once your sale has finalized. I would suggest running the numbers as a) discounts aren't guaranteed and can change at any time and b) assuming you are looking to utilize the AP price discount, it could still take you years to break even. For instance AKL is $165 direct, or about $80-90 on resale. So 25 points at a $80 difference would cost you $2,000. And even at the current extra discounted Platinum pass price of $200, thats still 10 APs. And that AP price may or may not continue, so it might be closer to 20 APs to breakeven. Just food for thought.

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
For ages the hard minimum on points direct was 100. I've seen reports from people lately being able to buy as few as 50 points from DVD direct. However, current owners can buy as few as 25 points. So that means that 25 point deeds are available on the resale market.

Why do you want to buy points from each? The only benefit to buying a small contract from DVD would be to be eligible for discounts and other member perks. Your trade/usage ability is still tied to how the points in question were purchased, regardless of if you have points bought direct or not.

So if your only goal was to be eligible for discounts, then buy whatever contract you desire on resale, and then buy a 25 point deed from DVD direct once your sale has finalized. I would suggest running the numbers as a) discounts aren't guaranteed and can change at any time and b) assuming you are looking to utilize the AP price discount, it could still take you years to break even. For instance AKL is $165 direct, or about $80-90 on resale. So 25 points at a $80 difference would cost you $2,000. And even at the current extra discounted Platinum pass price of $200, thats still 10 APs. And that AP price may or may not continue, so it might be closer to 20 APs to breakeven. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the reply, based on this, and my other findings. Resale 1st, then Disney Direct for 25. Save me from buying 50 direct now...

Yes, i want the benefits of a full fledged member, no matter the future guarantee's or not. So just trying to find out how to buy as little as possible.

My personal purchase has nothing to do with ROI or buying 'the cheapest resort', just the minimum amount possible direct, and the rest resale and of which order is best.

Thank you!

lightguy

We did this last year. We bought a larger contract resale and then bought 25 points direct from DVD. We chose to buy the direct points for the same resort and use year as our resale contract just to make it easy. If we had though we might in the future buy additional points for a 2nd resort then I think we would have maybe considered splitting them up, but I think we've got what we need and so far we haven't really had any trouble booking what we want as long as we book right way. We stayed at Bay Lake Tower in June and are staying at Copper Creek the week before Christmas and hoping to get Poly in the spring (the 7 month window hasn't opened yet). We're using the bank and borrow strategy along with an annual pass to go several times on 1 pass and then take 2 years off. Keep in mind that Disney could set a minimum number of point you have to buy from them ( say 50 or 100) to qualify for the extra benefits if they wanted (once you buy you should be grandfathered), so I wouldn't assume that years from now you could add on and get the benefits.

DisneyDenis

We did this last year. We bought a larger contract resale and then bought 25 points direct from DVD. We chose to buy the direct points for the same resort and use year as our resale contract just to make it easy...

That's how to do it... Resale first, then match resort and UY with 25 point Direct contract.

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
RoFR passed only one week from submission!

We landed small BLT contract, now onto closing.

Follow-up question regarding 25 points via DVD that we will grab after the membership number comes through. Do you get any special offers or incentives doing this at a DVC kiosk in the parks or Disney Springs? Like wander over there, give them the spiel your thinking of adding and maybe they toss in a gift card or something extra to process on the spot? We already have a trip booked and would be there to do something like this if there are any extras to be had.

correcaminos

RoFR passed only one week from submission!

We landed small BLT contract, now onto closing.

Follow-up question regarding 25 points via DVD that we will grab after the membership number comes through. Do you get any special offers or incentives doing this at a DVC kiosk in the parks or Disney Springs? Like wander over there, give them the spiel your thinking of adding and maybe they toss in a gift card or something extra to process on the spot? We already have a trip booked and would be there to do something like this if there are any extras to be had.
Congrats on passing ROFR! I hope closing is quick and smooth for you.

For a small add on there has really never been any extra incentives like if you buy a larger contract. There have been little gifts given in the past. If you book a tour they have offered a few FP for your group and a $50 gift card. It is about 60-90 minutes of your time. It cannot be at just any kiosk though.

Here is a more recent DVC tour walkthrough http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/is-a-dvc-tour-worth-your-vacation-time/

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
Congrats on passing ROFR! I hope closing is quick and smooth for you.

For a small add on there has really never been any extra incentives like if you buy a larger contract. There have been little gifts given in the past. If you book a tour they have offered a few FP for your group and a $50 gift card. It is about 60-90 minutes of your time. It cannot be at just any kiosk though.

Here is a more recent DVC tour walkthrough http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/is-a-dvc-tour-worth-your-vacation-time/

Ok thank you

dreamfinder

I think most of the giveaways are for new potential owners. Usually the terms preclude you already owning, or having taken a tour in the past X amount of time.
Sometimes they will offer additional discounts or extra points on a purchase, but that is usually only for 100+ points. I think currently at Copper Creek, Poly and Aulani they are offering "free points for life" if you buy 160 or more. I think it's buy 160 to get 10 free, and goes up from there. You still owe dues on the free points, just no initial investment.
DVD will sell small contracts, basically as a courtesy to existing owners who need to add on, but would much rather sell large deeds, and target most promotions accordingly.

correcaminos

I think most of the giveaways are for new potential owners. Usually the terms preclude you already owning, or having taken a tour in the past X amount of time.
Sometimes they will offer additional discounts or extra points on a purchase, but that is usually only for 100+ points. I think currently at Copper Creek, Poly and Aulani they are offering "free points for life" if you buy 160 or more. I think it's buy 160 to get 10 free, and goes up from there. You still owe dues on the free points, just no initial investment.
DVD will sell small contracts, basically as a courtesy to existing owners who need to add on, but would much rather sell large deeds, and target most promotions accordingly.
Right now you can also get cash back for it. I don't see the free points anymore, but found a quote of it on another forum "Current promotions include cash discount with 150 pt purchase and "free points for life" offer starting at 15 free points with 190 pt purchase."

The current promotions are below (same logged in and not)

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/special-offers/

Really the value of that is $2,640 which at 190 points is the same discount. If buying more than that the cash discount was a better deal. With the exception of PVB, but that is so close to selling out that it won't have any discounts soon.

@FrostyNaples I did confirm the $50 was only for those who are not in the system yet for DVC. The FP+ are given out more freely though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom