Saturday D23 Announcement - Marvel Land at DCA

TP2000

Original Poster
How funny that we got almost no info about Marvel Land, other than a solid confirmation that they are "working on it". But then a bunch of other random stuff got announced, much of which we already knew thanks to @GiveMeTheMusic and the last two Miceage Updates.

In no particular order, this afternoon we learned from Bobby Chapek the following is headed to Anaheim...

• Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is the name of the new land (I bet Bobby was ticked it was leaked yesterday by a sloppy Parks Blog cubicle dweller!) :D
  • Marvel IP expansion coming to DCA, featuring Spiderman and Avengers. How many days until Comic-Con? :confused:
  • Pixar Pier replacing Paradise Pier, with vague info on what gets replaced, rebuilt, or rethemed. o_O
  • Pixar Fest coming to Disneyland Resort next year; Pixar fireworks, Pixar Play Parade moves to Disneyland. And the crowd goes mild! :rolleyes:
  • Halloween being celebrated in DCA this year, with heavy emphasis on Cars Land. Fun! :)
  • Paint The Night moving to DCA later this year. Duh. There's some bloggers in Florida who are furious. :eek:
Anything I missed?

BrianLo

My question exactly. Why ship PPP to Disneyland at all if they're re-theming DCA to Pixar Park? Doesn't make any sense.

I'm ready for that tired show to vanish forever.

Where exactly do they store Pixar Play Parade? Do they potentially only have room for one parade in active use at DCA?

Otherwise I agree doesn't make much sense.

Albeit the way Chapek worded things it seems the new float for PTN will be a pixar float.

Credit to @GiveMeTheMusic - who doesn't really ever get any credit at all up on the main forums.

Californian Elitist

Where exactly do they store Pixar Play Parade? Do they potentially only have room for one parade in active use at DCA?

Albeit the way Chapek worded things it seems the new float for PTN will be a pixar float.

Credit to @GiveMeTheMusic - who doesn't really ever get any credit at all up on the main forums.

Agreed, thank you, @GiveMeTheMusic!

Good question, I'm not exactly sure where the parade is stored. If they really do have room for just one parade at DCA, thisnwoild have been the perfect time to get rid of PPP and either let Disneyland be without it or give it a new parade.

I'm almost positive the new float will be a Pixar one. Probably Coco, or something.

mickEblu

Did anyone catch where Lasetter asks Chapek "maybe some new rides?" I think the blog also mentions new areas. Is there room for a dark ride in the maliboomer area? Either way I don't expect anything substantial if it's in opening 2018. Maybe an add on.

Of course the new rides could just be more flats too but I would like to think they re planing on at least a D ticket dark ride addition

Although it's fun and one of the better themed flat rides, I see GSS as being expendable, especially because of where it's located in the shadow of Screamin.

Castle Cake Apologist

Any chance Monsters gets moved to Pixar Pier once they finally start working on Marvel in the Hollywood area? Is there even anywhere in the pier area that it could go? Seems a shame to lose a perfectly acceptable dark ride.

BrianLo

Did anyone catch where Lasetter asks Chapek "maybe some new rides?" I think the blog also mentions new areas. Is there room for a dark ride in the maliboomer area? Either way I don't expect anything substantial if it's in opening 2018. Maybe an add on.

Of course the new rides could just be more flats too but I would like to think they re planing on at least a D ticket dark ride addition

Although it's fun and one of the better themed flat rides, I see GSS as being expendable, especially because of where it's located in the shadow of Screamin.

I actually was losing it thinking there was some big left field Pixar ride coming we had never heard about (for the Backlot)... but I think he really just was referring to the overlays in the Pier.

12 months ago, even 1 month ago - I would have bet the world this would be the huge DLR D23, but it was actually 80% exciting because of WDW.

I really hope the Comic Con thing holds that they just felt this conference was too bloated and held back their Marvel movies and parks announcement for that venue. Although in order of preference I think I needed GoTG for Epcot announced for my sanity when traversing the Orlando United boards more than I needed concept art for DCA.

mickEblu

Any chance Monsters gets moved to Pixar Pier once they finally start working on Marvel in the Hollywood area? Is there even anywhere in the pier area that it could go? Seems a shame to lose a perfectly acceptable dark ride.

I doubt it. It would take a lot of time and resources with the net gain of moving a decent ride to the other side of the park. It's probably another reason Lasetter is pushing for Pixar Place. Sounds like Monsters Inc. and Bugs land are both goners. I think a new dark ride may be coming to Paradise Pier and considering the theme of the land/ all of the Pixar IPs the only one that would make any sense would be Inside Out.

mickEblu

I actually was losing it thinking there was some big left field Pixar ride coming we had never heard about (for the Backlot)... but I think he really just was referring to the overlays in the Pier.

12 months ago, even 1 month ago - I would have bet the world this would be the huge DLR D23, but it was actually 80% exciting because of WDW.

I really hope the Comic Con thing holds that they just felt this conference was too bloated and held back their Marvel movies and parks announcement for that venue. Although in order of preference I think I needed GoTG for Epcot announced for my sanity when traversing the Orlando United boards more than I needed concept art for DCA.

I thought he might be hinting at the some flat ride overlays too but I figured he knows the crowd at D23 in front of him know the difference between a new ride and a flat ride overlay.

Yeah this D23 was all about WDW, for the parks at least. They may as well have held this one in Florida. The Mickey ride and Tron are probably the two I'm most excited for. The outer space restaurant looks really cool and it's the kind of thing they should probably clone at TL. Also intrigued at seeing what they could do with GOTG with a blank slate.

I'm thinking they ll make the big Marvel Land announcement at Comic Con. Unless they really don't know what their doing until the Eastern Gateway project is resolved. And what about Spider-Man? Is it possible that's the D ticket going into ITTAB?

When do we get details of the SWL rides and their names? I guess a Disney parks blog. SWL will be open by the time the next D23 rolls around.

BrianLo

I'm thinking they ll make the big Marvel Land announcement at Comic Con. Unless they really don't know what their doing until the Eastern Gateway project is resolved. And what about Spider-Man? Is it possible that's the D ticket going into ITTAB?

When do we get details of the SWL rides and their names? I guess a Disney parks blog. SWL will be open by the time the next D23 rolls around.

Yes, I think Bob said there are two rides, one Avengers and one Spiderman... then to confuse the is it Captain America or is it Avengers even further the follow up picture showed Captain America with a big horizontal slash and a picture of Spiderman.

I'm not sure why I really didn't think of Spiderman when MiceAge discussed the family attraction (possibly due to Universal and Sony) - but that makes a ton of sense. Spiderman once sold absolutely crap tons of merch to the 3-7 age group. Probably only faded since its been so long since we've had a good movie until this past weekend. He makes great sense for a family dark ride and with a low thrill level/D-ticket goal, should avoid unfavourable Universal comparisons.

BrianLo

I doubt it. It would take a lot of time and resources with the net gain of moving a decent ride to the other side of the park. It's probably another reason Lasetter is pushing for Pixar Place. Sounds like Monsters Inc. and Bugs land are both goners. I think a new dark ride may be coming to Paradise Pier and considering the theme of the land/ all of the Pixar IPs the only one that would make any sense would be Inside Out.

Notably when Chapek randomly listed great Pixar-tie ins at DLR to Lasseter... Monster's Inc and Bugs Land were not mentioned. Enough said.

mickEblu

Yes, I think Bob said there are two rides, one Avengers and one Spiderman... then to confuse the is it Captain America or is it Avengers even further the follow up picture showed Captain America with a big horizontal slash and a picture of Spiderman.

I'm not sure why I really didn't think of Spiderman when MiceAge discussed the family attraction (possibly due to Universal and Sony) - but that makes a ton of sense. Spiderman once sold absolutely crap tons of merch to the 3-7 age group. Probably only faded since its been so long since we've had a good movie until this past weekend. He makes great sense for a family dark ride and with a low thrill level/D-ticket goal, should avoid unfavourable Universal comparisons.

Yeah Spider-Man makes a lot of sense. I was thinking Ant man was a possibility. I guess I subconsciously thought that Spider-Man wasn't being considered because the bar has been set and it would be compared to the Spider man attraction at IOA.

mickEblu

Anyway I guess next D23 we might hear about the FL expansion and maybe the Mickey ride too. Not crazy about that new animation style. Being that he's such an iconic character, I was hoping that it would be something where we kind of experience the evolution of Mickey and not just edgy/ modern Mickey. However, the fact that it's a ride with an original story and song is cool too.

wdrive

They ran both Block Party Bash and the Electrical Parade at the same time a few years back.

Stevek

:)
  • Paint The Night moving to DCA later this year. Duh. There's some bloggers in Florida who are furious. :eek:

This makes me happy, especially in light of watching Tommy Boy Corless's live stream of the Parks panel and loudly saying "confirmed" every time they announced something he "leaked"...and speaking of leaked, I have a feeling he leaked something every time he joyfully yelled confirmed. He's such an arsehat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom