Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairstow

Could someone please explain to me why a TRON coaster has a track that runs partially OUTDOOR? I mean if there is ONE rollercoaster ride that needs an entire indoor track to be fully immersive it's TRON. I don't get it in Shanghai and I don't get it for the rumored TRON ride in Tomorrowland. Light cycles can only exist inside the computer world of TRON and to bring them into the "real" world is perhaps the worst imagineering since the bloody flying carpets on Adventureland Plaza with that tiny-winy Aggrabah section cramped between South Seas and Colonial Africa.

I think the bigger question is why are there a whole bunch of light cycles all stuck into a long, two-column train, almost like they're part of a roller coaster ride at an amusement park and not freestanding motorcycles. Also, isn't the whole deal with those things that they blow up if you run one right behind another?

bclane

I think the bigger question is why are there a whole bunch of light cycles all stuck into a long, two-column train, almost like they're part of a roller coaster ride at an amusement park and not freestanding motorcycles. Also, isn't the whole deal with those things that they blow up if you run one right behind another?
Not really. The light cycles will "derezz" If they crash into something, such as the light ribbons that the riders activate during battle, but just getting close to one doesn't damage them.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've been out for a few weeks. Has it been confirmed that Tron is replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway?

Nothing's been truly confirmed since there's been not Disney announcement.

But other sites say that have several sources saying Tron's coming and replacing Speedway. @marni1971 says Tron is indeed coming but Speedway is getting a thematic overhaul (which may or may not include completely changing the track configuration).

KrzyKtty

Nothing's been truly confirmed since there's been not Disney announcement.

But other sites say that have several sources saying Tron's coming and replacing Speedway. @marni1971 says Tron is indeed coming but Speedway is getting a thematic overhaul (which may or may not include completely changing the track configuration).
Thank you. It was really nostalgic riding the speedway with my 4 year old this past June. We weren't planning on taking her, but she saw a video of it and really wanted to do it. So since we had time to kill while my son went on Space Mountain with the husband, I took her. She loved every second of that ride. Although, there were points with her steering that I was genuinely fearful for my health lol. :hilarious:

I am glad that we got to experience it one last time just in case!

*Q*

Maybe not entirely accurate in positioning but this is close to the amount of space Tron takes up. I'm thinking it goes on this side of the Speedway.

View attachment 215425
They're not going to demolish one of the busiest quick service locations in the park and the main thoroughfare between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. There would also be some major shenanigans they'd have to deal with around the PeopleMover track.

Let's not forget that Disney's first clone was the Magic Kingdom. They've been doing this for a while...

...and it's been working pretty well.
The Magic Kingdom is not a clone of Disneyland.

Reactions: HMF

Incomudro

The POV videos I have seen, I am not sure how much of "outside" you see while on the ride. It looks like the cycles are pointed toward the roof most of the time.

I would guess, the purpose of the outside section is to provide some energy to the park. Walking up to SM is like any other dark ride. Compare that to BTMRR.

Exactly.
I don't believe the Tron coaster is aiming for a completely immersive experience.
It's a Tron coaster.
I'm glad that there is an outdoor portion.
It adds big visual appeal to the ride.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think Tron IS* still aiming for a complete immersive experience. There is some contention whether or not this area will be a "realm". And if some of the rumors stating that the outdoor portion will be nixed; It's possible the show will be enclosed in a warehouse space further supporting those claims of complete immersion. We'll know more once we can figure out if Speedway will play into this area of Tomorrowland.

Rutt

Don't think this is what will be confirmed.

No, I believe he was saying there is a very good chance it will be announced this D23

Not supposed to be a replacement of the speedway. But the speedway will likely be re-imagined.

Ok, I thought that was still the case and maybe I read it wrong, but I think that's what @Mr Ferret 88 was pointing out, that it was not in fact being 'replaced' as the original poster stated. Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom