Halloween Horror Nights 2017 Official thread

mergatroid

Original Poster
So, being the HHN newbie I am, how many houses can I expect to pack in a single night? We'll be there on the night of October 1st (a Sunday) Unfortunately we don't have time for more than that since it was important for us to also attend MNSSHP. Just wanted to adjust my expectations so to avoid any disappointment.

I should really stop participating in this thread since I've never actually gone to HHN, but from what I've read, if you go on a weekend and dont have express pass you might only get to visit 2 houses. Two hour waits seem the norm.

But I'm sure someone who's been can provide more detail.

I would say more than 2 is easily doable but you're right that express is needed. We get 'Frequent Fear' tickets which gives us multiple dates every week it runs, we don't upgrade to express as we don't need to. However we visit 3 to 4 nights each year, on the 3rd we complete all houses and the 4th we re-visit ones we've liked most.

If you went one night only you'd struggle. It opens officially at 6:30pm, however letting everyone in at 6:10pm isn't uncommon. If you'd arrived about 4:30-5pm like we do, you'd be at the front of the queue when they open. As you enter you can hit certain houses with no queues, after the first you should easily find a second with a 15 min queue straight after. Then you could probably do a third with not more than a 30 minute wait. After that they become rather long waits.

Another thing to consider is some houses can have 45 minute waits (or longer) right after it opens. This is because day guests who've bought a HHN ticket too can enjoy usually 2 houses that open about 5:30pm as they're allowed to stay on in the park and have a head start. If you're there from opening time to closing for 1 night only, you possibly could enter every house without express but it's highly unlikely unless you're both very smart and lucky.

JoeCamel

So, being the HHN newbie I am, how many houses can I expect to pack in a single night? We'll be there on the night of October 1st (a Sunday) Unfortunately we don't have time for more than that since it was important for us to also attend MNSSHP. Just wanted to adjust my expectations so to avoid any disappointment.
If you go with a plan and can stay til close you can see it all. Lots of work and lines (I won't do that again, express for me) but it can be done.

mergatroid

Original Poster
If you go with a plan and can stay til close you can see it all. Lots of work and lines (I won't do that again, express for me) but it can be done.

Joe does that include the two shows and any rides or is that just hammering the houses?

JoeCamel

Joe does that include the two shows and any rides or is that just hammering the houses?
No, I would be there for Horror so that is the houses (they build 9 E tickets each year for ****** sakes!) and the scare zones with a few breaks when the lines get long. That is when you hit the scarezones and the show at Mel's. B&T is not on this touring plan. Save that for when you have enough time and money to do HHN right. I did 11 nights last year and I had express. Should have done that for 25 but hindsight and all that.

At the end of the night it is easy to revisit or catch any houses you missed. He is going on a Sunday and most have to work the next day so they clear out early.

Tom Morrow

If you don't get the express pass, wait a few hours and the lines will finally start to die down. They are very long for the first few hours because everyone with Express filters through all of the houses.

raven

Went on the final day of HHN last year (Nov. 6th?) and there were no waits. Was able to do every house, every scare zone, Bill & Ted show and all of the rides with an hour to spare at the end of the night. Definitely worth going that date!

JoeCamel

Went on the final day of HHN last year (Nov. 6th?) and there were no waits. Was able to do every house, every scare zone, Bill & Ted show and all of the rides with an hour to spare at the end of the night. Definitely worth going that date!
I went the last night of 25 to use my included ticket and didn't have express. At the last Jack show I had to go find a seat after standing in lines all night. It was brutal and sealed my resolve to never do HHN without express again. Was wonderful to thank all the scareactors in the houses though, they really gave it their all.

DeweyTodd

I should really stop participating in this thread since I've never actually gone to HHN, but from what I've read, if you go on a weekend and dont have express pass you might only get to visit 2 houses. Two hour waits seem the norm.

I've been a number of times without express and have been able to do all of the houses as well as all open rides in one night, but none of the shows. However, you've got to use your time wisely. Be there in line well in advance to be one of the first in the park. Once you're in, go straight to the headliner house. Last year I only waited for AHS for 10 minutes and was able to get right into another short line (This was a Friday in early October, by the way). You'll be at the park until close to close to do everything.

Time of year matters as well, as others have said. The closer you get to Halloween, the worse the crowds are.

Just be aware if you are trying to do it all in one night without express, there will be no time for relaxing and taking in the atmosphere, and it is likely impossible to do all of the houses and shows.

Walt Disney1955

So I'll be there in October for a couple of weeks. I can easily pick a night that suits best. No way I do it on a weekend, so would a Monday or a Tuesday have the lightest lines?

Also, are there any rides open during this time as well or is it just the haunted houses?

JoeCamel

So I'll be there in October for a couple of weeks. I can easily pick a night that suits best. No way I do it on a weekend, so would a Monday or a Tuesday have the lightest lines?

Also, are there any rides open during this time as well or is it just the haunted houses?
Monday and Tuesday there is no HHN

Walt Disney1955

Monday and Tuesday there is no HHN

So Wednesday I guess then. Looks like the express pass is worth it, just $20 more.

Any specific rides that will be open? Also, I can't really find the start times either. I see the dates on the calendar but not what time it starts. They say get there early but if I have the express pass that probably shouldn't matter right?

Last edited:

JoeCamel

So Wednesday I guess then. Looks like the express pass is worth it, just $20 more.

Any specific rides that will be open? Also, I can't really find the start times either. I see the dates on the calendar but not what time it starts. They say get there early but if I have the express pass that probably shouldn't matter right?
Only a few Wednesdays, check the calendar. Many of the rides are open. Gringotts and HRRR were open last year.

HHN starts at 6:15 if you are at the gates, a few minutes earlier if you do stay and scream.
https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/halloween-horror-nights-2017/

mergatroid

Original Poster

If just $20 more that's good, I seem to remember it being far more than that? Fequent Fear passes were nearly double their price of normal Frequent Fear if you wanted to upgrade to the Express version last year!

One thing to remember with Express Pass is this, you can only use it once in each house per night. If you get there early you can do some houses with no wait anyway (last year we went in Chances House with no wait at all at 8pm!!!!). If you do those houses through stand by lines it means you might be able to do them again later on with Express if you complete everything and fancy going back in them.

DisneyFan 2000

I would say more than 2 is easily doable but you're right that express is needed. We get 'Frequent Fear' tickets which gives us multiple dates every week it runs, we don't upgrade to express as we don't need to. However we visit 3 to 4 nights each year, on the 3rd we complete all houses and the 4th we re-visit ones we've liked most.

If you went one night only you'd struggle. It opens officially at 6:30pm, however letting everyone in at 6:10pm isn't uncommon. If you'd arrived about 4:30-5pm like we do, you'd be at the front of the queue when they open. As you enter you can hit certain houses with no queues, after the first you should easily find a second with a 15 min queue straight after. Then you could probably do a third with not more than a 30 minute wait. After that they become rather long waits.

Another thing to consider is some houses can have 45 minute waits (or longer) right after it opens. This is because day guests who've bought a HHN ticket too can enjoy usually 2 houses that open about 5:30pm as they're allowed to stay on in the park and have a head start. If you're there from opening time to closing for 1 night only, you possibly could enter every house without express but it's highly unlikely unless you're both very smart and lucky.

Thanks everyone! Some very helpful tips here. Our plan is to be at the resort anyway during the day to visit Volcano Bay so I'll make sure we hit up the line for Studios early so to get an early start to the evening. This is our first time doing this so the plan is not so much to cross all the houses off as it is to just soak up the atmosphere and have a good time. Express unfortunately is just not an option for us due to budget constraints, but I'm sure even with only experiencing some of the houses we'll have a blast. Rides won't be an issue either which will probably help clear some extra time for haunted fun (we're doing a separate, full day at Universal Studios) I just wanted to adjust my expectations accordingly so to know what to expect from the evening. I guess even crossing off 60-70% of the must-do attractions will help feeling we made the most of the night!

neoshinok

Just to be clear, the price you see for Express is in ADDITION to your admission cost. So if you see $59 ticket and $79 Express, it's not just $20 more but $59 + $79.

Walt Disney1955

Just to be clear, the price you see for Express is in ADDITION to your admission cost. So if you see $59 ticket and $79 Express, it's not just $20 more but $59 + $79.

Oh my goodness. Yeah, long lines or not, The Shining House or not, that isn't worth it. I can wait a bit longer rather than pay $80.

danpam1024

Oh my goodness. Yeah, long lines or not, The Shining House or not, that isn't worth it. I can wait a bit longer rather than pay $80.
Our EPs were over $100 ea- i don't think I have EVER paid that much. However, I have been without and to me, it is well worth every penny. Probably because I'm too old to stay the entire time waiting in lines. :D

danpam1024

Anyone else going on Friday the 13th? The boy is bringing a friend, so it's our first HHN since HHN 16 that it'll be just me and hubs! You'll most likely find us at Duff's :)

raven

Oh, it's worth every penny when you go on those busy days, trust me. With 60 to 120 minute waits for a single house (out of 9) it's worth it to speed through so you can actually do rides and shows as well.

I used it for the first time at HHN 20 and did all of the houses (some twice), all of the rides that were open, the shows, and was able to wait over an hour to meet Steve and Tango from the Ghost Hunters and STILL finished the park early.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom