Aladdin live action musical

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Searched. Didn't see a thread for this, but it's coming. Guy Ritchie directing. Will Smith as Genie.

Something tells me the genie is going to be taken in a different direction than Robin Williams' genie. Which may not be a bad thing, but it could be worse, like this:
IMG_0839.JPG

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I read in another report that they have 400 extras and 100 of them are white people being painted. I don't see why they don't just leave the 100 white peoples skin unpainted if they need to use them. The majority are people of color. Agrabah is a fictional place in Asia or the Middle East, we don't know what the population's racial makeup was. You defiantly should not be painting people though.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Am I insensitive for not seeing anything wrong with this?

I know a lot of “white people” who get very dark when tan and have dark/black hair. If a stunt double auditions, and can tan to “fit in” more, then I don’t see the harm in not excluding them for no other reason than- they are “white”.
Because Hollywood has a horrible history of painting white actors to play people of color. Or changing characters to be white when they were originally people of color. Asian people continue to have this happen to them long after blackface was done away with.

21stamps

Because Hollywood has a horrible history of painting white actors to play people of color. Or changing characters to be white when they were originally people of color. Asian people continue to have this happen to them long after blackface was done away with.
I think it’s unwarranted outrage. There’s not much difference if an extra is from parts of Spain or Italy,with skin that darkens easily, or even a Latino with dark skin, playing the role of an extra in Aladdin.

This is a strange thing to get upset over imo. It’s looking for controversy when there really shouldn’t be any controversy there.

21stamps

Wow. I just read the comments on the linked article.

I wonder if all of the social justice warriors realize the irony in their words.
We shouldn’t have to implement new forms of discrimination to prove that we’re against the discriminatory actions of the past.
That’s not progress.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I think it’s unwarranted outrage. There’s not much difference if an extra is from parts of Spain or Italy,with skin that darkens easily, or even a Latino with dark skin, playing the role of an extra in Aladdin.

This is a strange thing to get upset over imo. It’s looking for controversy when there really shouldn’t be any controversy there.
Then hire people from there. Don't paint people to make their skin darker.

21stamps

Then hire people from there. Don't paint people to make their skin darker.

They are tanning. It’s not much different than changing your hair color for a role.. less difference actually.
I guess we could all be outraged that Bridgett Jones was played by a thin actress who gained weight for a role, instead of just hiring an overweight actress to play the part.

See how silly that sounds?

Agree to disagree on the controversy, or lack of, on this subject.

Princess Leia

My sister has olive skin, and has been asked if she is Latina and Lebanese, and that’s before she gets tan. From the sounds of it, it sounds like the extras are like me, meaning that they wouldn’t be confused for anything but white (unless they spend a couple weeks living in a tanning bed). It’s 2018- cast the right people.

21stamps

My sister has olive skin, and has been asked if she is Latina and Lebanese, and that’s before she gets tan. From the sounds of it, it sounds like the extras are like me, meaning that they wouldn’t be confused for anything but white (unless they spend a couple weeks living in a tanning bed). It’s 2018- cast the right people.

I’m being totally serious here, So what you’re saying is- Actors should not alter their appearance for a role?

I could never be confused as a middle easterner or Indian.. no matter how much I tan. Some people have a complexion and features that would make it believable. If you start restricting who can do what, and start excluding people on the basis of being Caucasian.. then there might be a serious problem with how society is thinking.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

I’m being totally serious here, So what you’re saying is- Actors should not alter their appearance for a role?

I could never be confused as a middle easterner or Indian.. no matter how much I tan. Some people have a complexion and features that would make it believable. If you start restricting who can do what, and start excluding people on the basis of being Caucasian.. then there might be a serious problem with how society is thinking.
If Disney went into this movie with the colorblind casting approach of Cinderella, I don’t think there would be a huge issue if we saw white people hanging out in the bazaars of Agrabah. Since they’re trying to go for a certain look, I think it’s safer to just cast on how people look naturally, without tanning (spray or via booth).

If I was Disney, I would have leaned towards being cautious and just hired people with olive or brown skin. Sure, that means my sister (who, like me, is a Western European mix) probably would have been cast, but Disney probably wouldn’t have asked her to change her appearance.

21stamps

If Disney went into this movie with the colorblind casting approach of Cinderella, I don’t think there would be a huge issue if we saw white people hanging out in the bazaars of Agrabah. Since they’re trying to go for a certain look, I think it’s safer to just cast on how people look naturally, without tanning (spray or via booth).

If I was Disney, I would have leaned towards being cautious and just hired people with olive or brown skin. Sure, that means my sister (who, like me, is a Western European mix) probably would have been cast, but Disney probably wouldn’t have asked her to change her appearance.

Thats kind of what I’m saying., I haven’t seen photos, but I can’t imagine that these people are fair skinned blonde haired/ blue eyed/freckled skin being cast in these roles. Most likely it’s people with either olive complexions, or fair skinned with dark hair, but tan easily to a darker shade. I know many people who fit the latter description, my brother being one of them.
Me, I’m the former.. doesn’t matter how dark I color my hair or how much I spray or bake, I couldn’t pass as anything else.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom