Pre-Trip Not our typical Disney trip (and a bonus very typical Disney trip!)

Hi friends! For those who don't know the cast of my TRs, here we are:

M (my wife)
Writer/academic administrator

B (me)
Opera singer/voice teacher

We've been together for ten years and married for 2.5 years. We both grew up in Florida and went to WDW frequently as kids and teenagers. Then we discovered park-going as adults and realized...it's even more fun! We now live in NJ just outside of NYC and although we can't go to Disney as often as we'd like we still visit the Mouse when we visit M's family in Florida (and sometimes without visiting them...shhhh!).

Now about the title: we've been talking about doing a different kind of Disney trip for awhile now, and recently we finally picked some dates and started diving into trip planning. What makes this trip so different? We're going back to where it all began. We're going to Disney...LAND!!!

Now of course it would be silly for two East Coast girls to fly all the way to California without seeing more of what the state has to offer. So we're starting in northern CA and working our way down, and Disneyland will be at the end of the trip.

Dates: August 4-14, 2017
Flights: Southwest (we're quite loyal by this point!)
Lodging: various throughout the state

I'll post our plans a few days at a time in the following posts. Any tips for WDW veterans/first-time DLR visitors are more than welcome! We've been doing our research but the whole concept of not pre-planning very much is a little daunting. If this were a WDW trip we'd have all our ADRs planned by now, haha! We're very much looking forward to the different vibe of DLR.

Stay tuned for more!

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm so very sorry about your pain and getting so far behind again. I'm beyond happy everything is seemingly all better and don't be surprised to find a smallish person in one of your bags:oops: I need a vacation and yours sounds perfect

bee

Original Poster
Skip cars 2
It was just bad
I hear 3 is better but have not seen it yet

Max
Max has spoken! No Cars 2!

I wholeheartedly agree with Max. Skip Cars 2 because it was worse than bad...Mater was funny, but couldn't save the show.

I wonder if DCA will have some of the new cars out for M&G...that could be kinda cool if they do! :cat:
M&G?? Meet a car?? Is that a thing??

Guess I really have to see Cars 3 so I can understand who I'm looking it here!

We are planning a west coast road trip in 2020 so I'm looking forward to your report. We will include Disneyland.
My son has just finished a year as CM in rose and Crown in epcot but he also loved Disneyland Anaheim so much so he flew across US to visit twice. This is a Scottish boy who hates flying lol. Happy planning.
Wow, it must be good then! How did he like being a CM?

Bee, very happy to hear that your mouth is feeling better after the dental surgery.
Thank you! I'm actually amazed at how quickly I've gotten back to normal, when even light pressure on the crown was excruciating before.

I'm so very sorry about your pain and getting so far behind again. I'm beyond happy everything is seemingly all better and don't be surprised to find a smallish person in one of your bags:oops: I need a vacation and yours sounds perfect
Welcome back and you are welcome anytime, behind or otherwise! Southwest does allow two checked bags per passenger! :p

bee

Original Poster
It's getting real!!!

We are 37 days from California and 43 days from Disneyland!!!

Last night we made an impromptu Target run and purchased $300 in gift cards for food and incidentals in the parks.

Today my final Disney Vacation Account contribution was taken! We have enough in the account to cover our ticket/hotel package!

I have twelve days until I leave for my opera gig. I've booked my bus ticket and will be meeting another singer who lives near NYC so we can ride together. It's a good thing I'll be busy for those three weeks or I'd be going crazy in Disney anticipation! :p

bee

Original Poster

bee

Original Poster
ONE MONTH DANCE!!!

BertDancing.gif

We've been fine-tuning our California plans since we leave IN ONE MONTH!! We've booked our Muir Woods/Sausalito tour and decided to upgrade to include the Golden Gate cruise, because who knows when we'll get the chance to see San Francisco again?

We're looking at the Sights and Bites Hollywood tour through Tourific Escapes. We're also planning some time at Santa Monica Beach. We know all the tourist stuff will be crowded in August but we're prepared to take things slow and not kill ourselves trying to see everything.

I also booked the World of Color Dessert Party for our DCA day. I've been going back and forth on this one but I think that having seating for what may be our one and only time seeing WOC will be worth the price. Reviews indicate that it's a lot of food as well so I've moved Wine Country Trattoria to lunch and WOC will serve as dinner, dessert, drinks, and entertainment for the night.

I also have great tooth news! I had my follow-up with the endodontist and he said my tooth is healing even more quickly than he expected! I also don't have to go back to the regular dentist for the restoration because the endo was able to use my old crown.

tumblr_mv7s15QCsg1s392ayo1_500.gif

Quick poll for those will read my TR: will you want to read about our non-Disney days?

PS Happy Fourth to my fellow Americans. We're making Portobello burgers with goat cheese on pretzel buns!

DisneyGigi

ONE MONTH DANCE!!!

BertDancing.gif

We've been fine-tuning our California plans since we leave IN ONE MONTH!! We've booked our Muir Woods/Sausalito tour and decided to upgrade to include the Golden Gate cruise, because who knows when we'll get the chance to see San Francisco again?

We're looking at the Sights and Bites Hollywood tour through Tourific Escapes. We're also planning some time at Santa Monica Beach. We know all the tourist stuff will be crowded in August but we're prepared to take things slow and not kill ourselves trying to see everything.

I also booked the World of Color Dessert Party for our DCA day. I've been going back and forth on this one but I think that having seating for what may be our one and only time seeing WOC will be worth the price. Reviews indicate that it's a lot of food as well so I've moved Wine Country Trattoria to lunch and WOC will serve as dinner, dessert, drinks, and entertainment for the night.

I also have great tooth news! I had my follow-up with the endodontist and he said my tooth is healing even more quickly than he expected! I also don't have to go back to the regular dentist for the restoration because the endo was able to use my old crown.

Quick poll for those will read my TR: will you want to read about our non-Disney days?

PS Happy Fourth to my fellow Americans. We're making Portobello burgers with goat cheese on pretzel buns!

I definitely want to read about the rest of the trip!

susan lees

ONE MONTH DANCE!!!

BertDancing.gif

I would love to read about your whole trip.

amjt660

Premium Member
First off I would like to hear about the entire trip
As I mentioned early in the report we did a San Fran - Muir Woods- Jelly Belly Factory- Monterey - DLR - San Diego trip in 2012
So I am really looking forward to travel back vicariously through the two of you to recapture/remember/relive those great memories.

I did a Golden Gate cruise one time on a business trip (think it was 2002) and really enjoyed it.
We went to Alcatraz in 2012 - cannot remember if that is on your agenda.
San Fran is one of my favorite cities to visit - hope to return someday

Feel free to ask any last minute questions - we are all here to help if we can.

Glad to hear the tooth issues are going well and that it will/should not impact your singing (?)

And Happy 4th of July to my friends south of the border - make good choices today ;)

Max

Figgy1

Premium Member
I would love to read about your whole trip.

Definitely yes to the non Disney days!! I want to hear about the entire trip!

As I mentioned early in the report we did a San Fran - Muir Woods- Jelly Belly Factory- Monterey - DLR - San Diego trip in 2012
So I am really looking forward to travel back vicariously through the two of you to recapture/remember/relive those great memories.

I did a Golden Gate cruise one time on a business trip (think it was 2002) and really enjoyed it.

Glad to hear the tooth issues are going well and that it will/should not impact your singing (?)

And Happy 4th of July to my friends south of the border - make good choices today ;)

Max
All of the above

bee

Original Poster
M and I are so excited for our trip!! We bought some new leggings for the parks AND some Star Wars tshirts at Target, which was having a 20% off clothing sale!

For M:

For me:

Max
Thanks, Max! We won't be visiting Alcatraz but the cruise goes by it (part of the reason we booked it!) so we'll at least get to see it. I know I'll think of questions as we get closer. :D

I'm so happy the tooth stuff hasn't been worse and I'm pretty much back to normal singing-wise. The main singing issue I had during the first week or so was I couldn't open my jaw as large as I needed to sing high notes, due to the general soreness of the area. The other thing is, while vocal fold hemorrhage is rare, the risk increases with NSAID use, and I was taking quite a lot of ibuprofen the first few days so I was just very cautious with singing. If I wasn't being paid to sing I kept my mouth shut. :) (Of course, I did-and continue to do-as much mental language/memorization work as possible in preparation for the opera. The good news is lots of singing prep work can be done without singing at all!) But now I'm back to normal, singing-wise!

@figmentfan423 you got it!

@PacNWTigger check your inbox.

LisaBelle

So glad you are going to post the non Disney parts of your trip. I was too late to chime in on the poll, lol!
Glad to hear your recovery from your tooth procedure is going so well! It must be a huge relief!
Grilled portobello burgers with goat cheese on pretzel buns sound delicious! Hope you and M enjoyed the 4th!

amjt660

Premium Member
M and I are so excited for our trip!! We bought some new leggings for the parks AND some Star Wars tshirts at Target, which was having a 20% off clothing sale!

For M:

For me:

Thanks, Max! We won't be visiting Alcatraz but the cruise goes by it (part of the reason we booked it!) so we'll at least get to see it. I know I'll think of questions as we get closer. :D

I'm so happy the tooth stuff hasn't been worse and I'm pretty much back to normal singing-wise. The main singing issue I had during the first week or so was I couldn't open my jaw as large as I needed to sing high notes, due to the general soreness of the area. The other thing is, while vocal fold hemorrhage is rare, the risk increases with NSAID use, and I was taking quite a lot of ibuprofen the first few days so I was just very cautious with singing. If I wasn't being paid to sing I kept my mouth shut. :) (Of course, I did-and continue to do-as much mental language/memorization work as possible in preparation for the opera. The good news is lots of singing prep work can be done without singing at all!) But now I'm back to normal, singing-wise!

@figmentfan423 you got it!

@PacNWTigger check your inbox.
Glad to hear your voice is back to its normal exceptional level

The boat will give you good view of Alcatraz IF it is a clear day

Fingers crossed!!!

Max

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom