New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Old Mouseketeer

To be sure this project, in some form or another, will happen. My guess is that Disney is working with city planners, and possibly in private with the impacted businesses, on an alternate solution which they will submit for public review at the appropriate time. As DisneyIrishGuy said, from all indications the proposed bridge across Harbor cutting off the businesses on that street is the primary roadblock to overcome.

Plus the fact that the mayor hates Disney. I agree completely with your assessment.

Old Mouseketeer

Another two weeks have gone by, tomorrow is the latest Anaheim Planning Commission meeting, and the Eastern Gateway project is not on the docket. Again. http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/ag_3vers/planning.pdf

That pushes us into mid July for the next opportunity for the Eastern Gateway to get approval.

But my hunch is that TDA will wait for D23 Expo and the inevitable splashy announcements of Marvel Land, buzzy details on the fabulous Star Wars Land, and whatever else they announce at D23. That would put more pressure on Anaheim to come back to the table and help prepare for the influx of tax-boosting visitors the latest Disneyland Resort expansions will soon be bringing in. So maybe a Planning Commission meeting in August or September?

I think this is the likely scenario. Disney is trying to emphasize what they are going to add to the desirability of the Resort District while Anaheim can dangle their trump card (pardon the expression) of the occupancy permit for SWL.

Poker, anyone?

lazyboy97o

I think this is the likely scenario. Disney is trying to emphasize what they are going to add to the desirability of the Resort District while Anaheim can dangle their trump card (pardon the expression) of the occupancy permit for SWL.

Poker, anyone?
The city cannot just withhold the certificate of occupancy. The building permit has been issued and without an established zoning requirement (I haven't read the zoning code) or agreement, the City has no grounds for denial. If the City has such a requirement, they really should have insisted that satisfying such requirements be present at the time of application and not allowed the matter to be deferred.

Old Mouseketeer

The city cannot just withhold the certificate of occupancy. The building permit has been issued and without an established zoning requirement (I haven't read the zoning code) or agreement, the City has no grounds for denial. If the City has such a requirement, they really should have insisted that satisfying such requirements be present at the time of application and not allowed the matter to be deferred.

Deny? Delay? Play with bureaucratic red tape? Bridgegate anyone?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Extortion doesn’t work if the other party doesn’t know the demands.

That would indicate that the extorting party (the city) wants something from the other party (Disney). In this case I don't think the extorting party wants anything other than to hold up the proceedings. Hence the bridgegate comment being very apropos as it was done just for political spite.

TP2000

...and in phantom garage adjacent property related news...

They've begun actual demolition on the former Bergstrom's building.

The Bergstrom family will at least be happy that Disney didn't get that property. Some seriously bad blood between Disney and the Bergstrom's, from chatter I heard at a cocktail party a few years ago with some prominent OC property agents.

Instead, that property is slated to become a Westin Element hotel opening in 2018.
omxkqz-b88905808z.120170316161623000gjhlsv2t.10.jpg

Curious Constance

The Bergstrom family will at least be happy that Disney didn't get that property. Some seriously bad blood between Disney and the Bergstrom's, from chatter I heard at a cocktail party a few years ago with some prominent OC property agents.

Instead, that property is slated to become a Westin Element hotel opening in 2018.
What exactly do you do at cocktail parties with prominent property agents?

TP2000

What exactly do you do at cocktail parties with prominent property agents?

Oh, you know, talk about prominent things done by prominent people. Like who is on what charity committee for Children's Hospital of Orange County, or who got what property deal done secretly for Disneyland (which actually came up back in '13), or whose Botox man likely did what to lesser prominent people (which comes up a lot).

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Oh, you know, talk about prominent things done by prominent people. Like who is on what charity committee for Children's Hospital of Orange County, or who got what property deal done secretly for Disneyland (which actually came up back in '13), or whose Botox man likely did what to lesser prominent people (which comes up a lot).

Sounds more exciting than my family gatherings. Just yesterday we had one, and my ridiculous sister in law got into a 20 minute argument with my teenage daughter about which direction north was from my house. My daughter was right, by the way. lol

NobodyElse

Like who is on what charity committee for Children's Hospital of Orange County,...

While there's still no real garage news, I'll stay off topic with a pet peeve. This fairly recent (last five/ten years?) marketing decision just rubs me the wrong way:
CHOCChildrens_logo_rgb.png

While Children's Hospital of Orange County has been justly referred to as the acronym "CHOC" for years. This new push sounds awkwardly redundant to me.

"Now I'll go to the ATM machine and enter my PIN number." :banghead:

Ismael Flores

It is funny when these people like Bergstrom family have issues with Disney but have no problem leaching off them to make money.

It's like, I hate you but I'm building a hotel that will make money from the thousands that come to visit your resort. Same thinkin as all those business in the area and city council of Anaheim. They just live to hate Disney but have no problem cashing in on the millions of revenue Disney brings to their pockets

Phroobar

It is funny when these people like Bergstrom family have issues with Disney but have no problem leaching off them to make money.

It's like, I hate you but I'm building a hotel that will make money from the thousands that come to visit your resort. Same thinkin as all those business in the area and city council of Anaheim. They just live to hate Disney but have no problem cashing in on the millions of revenue Disney brings to their pockets
Maybe Disney fans should boycott their little flea traps.

NobodyElse

Since there's still no garage / transportation center / bridge news...

The Arena Inn has been leveled down to the building foundations. Also of note, the gas station-sized lot on the corner that has been vacant for quite some time seems to now be part of the whole construction site.

Old Mouseketeer

Is the Bergstrom family building the hotel, or did they sell the property to a developer? Or are they leasing the land to a developer?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom