(Rumor) Harry Potter being added to express pass

Scuttle

Original Poster
It seems to be that UO wants to end the maintenance nightmare that is EPA. In doing so they will add Harry Potter to the express pass lineup.

Note: this is a rumor, albeit from a credible person, but still a rumor.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
untitled.png

Tom Morrow

I wish it would not. I enjoy that Forbidden Journey and Gringotts typically have very manageable wait times and, being the two biggest draw attractions at the resort, Express would absolutely put an end to that.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I wish it would not. I enjoy that Forbidden Journey and Gringotts typically have very manageable wait times and, being the two biggest draw attractions at the resort, Express would absolutely put an end to that.

I disagree, FJ and Gringotts probably won't see much of a standby wait time increase at all. Kong usually has a 60 minute wait during peak times and the Express wait is 10 minutes. They manage it by splitting the ride car entrance into sections, and use separate team members to load. During slow times they can allocate more standby to the whole ride and during busy times they can allocate less. It's actually pretty efficient. Same story for other rides. Best case scenario your 60 minute standby wait becomes 50 minutes if they eliminate express, or your wait grows from 50 minutes to 60 with it.

It's managed all around much better than WDW's FP+.

captainkidd

I highly recommend only staying at one of the BIg 3 if you plan to do so every time. Once you do, you won't want to go back. I sure as heck won't.

Tom Morrow

I disagree, FJ and Gringotts probably won't see much of a standby wait time increase at all. Kong usually has a 60 minute wait during peak times and the Express wait is 10 minutes. They manage it by splitting the ride car entrance into sections, and use separate team members to load. During slow times they can allocate more standby to the whole ride and during busy times they can allocate less. It's actually pretty efficient. Same story for other rides. Best case scenario your 60 minute standby wait becomes 50 minutes if they eliminate express, or your wait grows from 50 minutes to 60 with it.

It's managed all around much better than WDW's FP+.

Yeah, but the way they keep the Express wait time down to 10 minutes is at the expense of the standby line. Kong is such a high capacity attraction that I bet the standby line would often be 15-20 minutes without Express, the same way Forbidden Journey is.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yeah, but the way they keep the Express wait time down to 10 minutes is at the expense of the standby line. Kong is such a high capacity attraction that I bet the standby line would often be 15-20 minutes without Express, the same way Forbidden Journey is.

In what math does 60-10 become become 15-20? I've literally been on Kong a dozen times, I know how they manage the line and I know how long the express wait is because I've timed it multiple times. If they take the capacity that they use for Express and move it back to standby it will literally improve standby when it's at peak by only about 10 minutes at best. If there aren't enough people in the Express line to fill the capacity that's been given to express, the rest of that capacity is automatically given to the standby line.

Tom Morrow

In what math does 60-10 become become 15-20? I've literally been on Kong a dozen times, I know how they manage the line and I know how long the express wait is because I've timed it multiple times. If they take the capacity that they use for Express and move it back to standby it will literally improve standby when it's at peak by only about 10 minutes at best. If there aren't enough people in the Express line to fill the capacity that's been given to express, the rest of that capacity is automatically given to the standby line.
Generally, for the popular attractions, Universal takes about a 2:1 ratio of Express to Standby. However, for something like Kong, it's probably more often 3:1 or 4:1.

This is still better than Disney's Fastpass system, where by being free and available to everyone, there is always a sustained demand from the Fastpass line, and their standard is 4:1 Fastpass to Standby and increases from there.

If you ever want proof of how awful Fastpass and Express Pass really are, enter Kong or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train right before closing, meaning no more Fastpass holders will be entering. The standby line can be physically full but you will only wait 15-20 minutes.

JoeCamel

Generally, for the popular attractions, Universal takes about a 2:1 ratio of Express to Standby. However, for something like Kong, it's probably more often 3:1 or 4:1.

This is still better than Disney's Fastpass system, where by being free and available to everyone, there is always a sustained demand from the Fastpass line, and their standard is 4:1 Fastpass to Standby and increases from there.

If you ever want proof of how awful Fastpass and Express Pass really are, enter Kong or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train right before closing, meaning no more Fastpass holders will be entering. The standby line can be physically full but you will only wait 15-20 minutes.
When I was there lately they were loading rows 8 - 12 from express. Rest from standby. Not very busy at all, so I did three rides in a row through standby

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
When I was there lately they were loading rows 8 - 12 from express. Rest from standby. Not very busy at all, so I did three rides in a row through standby

Yes, this is what they were doing the last few times I've been there as well.

Except that the line won't be physically full. Right before closing a large number of people in the park leaves.

Tom Morrow

FWIW I have seen them alternate between devoting 3/4ths of a truck to Express and then the standard 1/3rd. Basically the busier it is, the more people have Express passes, the more the Express line will inflate the standby line.
Except that the line won't be physically full. Right before closing a large number of people in the park leaves.
True for Kong, however I have definitely waited through almost the entire Seven Dwarfs queue after closing and was on in 20 minutes or less. Same with Frozen. Disney's Fastpass system is awful when you know the logistics behind it.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
FWIW I have seen them alternate between devoting 3/4ths of a truck to Express and then the standard 1/3rd. Basically the busier it is, the more people have Express passes, the more the Express line will inflate the standby line.

True for Kong, however I have definitely waited through almost the entire Seven Dwarfs queue after closing and was on in 20 minutes or less. Same with Frozen. Disney's Fastpass system is awful when you know the logistics behind it.

Disney's FP+ system needs significant optimization and a near complete overhaul, I don't know why it was implemented the way that it was it just doesn't make sense.

Tom Morrow

You know how you rarely ever have to wait further than the garden queue at Forbidden Journey? Now you will, frequently. You know how the line almost never stops moving? Now it will. Mark my words!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom