Two additions - And I would purchase an AP for DLP

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
I went to DLP the last time in 2014 and so far I have no plans for returning in the near future. Although I have to finally concede that Marni was right, the DLP is beautifully designed and even superior to the MK in some aspects (PotC is better for example), it lacks new major attractions desperately, the last major addition being Space Mountain in 1995! if I am correct.
If they would add these two attractions I would not only consider a visit the moment they open but I would purchase an AP. Build Indiana Jones Adventure in Adventureland (where at the moment only one of the weakest Disney rollercoaster is a sub-par substitute) and build the TDS-Version of Journey to the Center of the Earth in Discoveryland (without Mysterious Island and Mt. Prometheus however, only the ride) and I become an AP-holder!
Of course I know it will not happen, just my two cents.

Stevie Amsterdam

I presume you're only speaking of the castle park? WDS opened in 2002. And 12 years later we got the Ratatouille ride. Not my favorite, but at least not a cloned attraction. I much rather see the entire WDS park revamped before they add new attractions to DLP ;)

The Empress Lilly

Don't count on it.

Instead, as a welcome gift from our new American overlords, we get closures, upcharge events and vip spaces. For just €68 / €85 you get to go to Europe's lamest Techno party:

hd13451_2024mar16_electroland-2017_900x360.jpg

Well it is your best bet if you wanted to actually visit the parks after 19:00, in the middle of July, you know, when you booked your summer holiday with the kids.

nerdboyrockstar

Don't count on it.

Instead, as a welcome gift from our new American overlords, we get closures, upcharge events and vip spaces. For just €68 / €85 you get to go to Europe's lamest Techno party:

Well it is your best bet if you wanted to actually visit the parks after 19:00, in the middle of July, you know, when you booked your summer holiday with the kids.

You wanted it to be successful.. so they're gonna have to incorporate some of that good old-fashioned American greed.

Stevie Amsterdam

Don't count on it.

The security at this event must be out of this world, since this could actually backfire pretty hard at them. The European electronic (techno) music scene is known for it's free flow of drugs. Especially in London, Amsterdam, Berlin and... Paris. Disney is opening it's gates to a group of people, of which (at least) some will want to experiment with drugs in this unique environment. I'm curious if Disney has thought of what to do to entertain these people once the party ends?

I'm not saying it will end badly - let's hope not - but Disney as a brand should not take on such a risk. Which is just my opion, of course ;)

The Empress Lilly

The security at this event must be out of this world, since this could actually backfire pretty hard at them. The European electronic (techno) music scene is known for it's free flow of drugs. Especially in London, Amsterdam, Berlin and... Paris. Disney is opening it's gates to a group of people, of which (at least) some will want to experiment with drugs in this unique environment. I'm curious if Disney has thought of what to do to entertain these people once the party ends?

I'm not saying it will end badly - let's hope not - but Disney as a brand should not take on such a risk. Which is just my opion, of course ;)
They may have misunderestimated that aspect, yes. That should be fun! :p

But surely Disney lacks the street cred to attract the techno demograph? Then again, they may be eyeing a few spins on Crush helped by some friends...

The Empress Lilly

You wanted it to be successful.. so they're gonna have to incorporate some of that good old-fashioned American greed.
Or incorporate old-fashioned park management, the difference between the castle and the studio park. We can only dream where DLP would be today with two world class theme parks, like Tokyo and LA.

Stevie Amsterdam

They may have misunderestimated that aspect, yes. That should be fun! :p

But surely Disney lacks the street cred to attract the techno demograph? Then again, they may be eyeing a few spins on Crush helped by some friends...
Steve Aoki is a major name in the industry and just him alone will attract techno enthusiasts. Don't get me wrong, most people will just visit to have a good time. But some of them tend to travel to exotic locations - such as a Disneypark - to aim for that ultimate high. I thought the party ended at 11pm but it appears to be midnight. If it's mostly Parisians that are visiting, there won't be much trouble since they won't stay overnight. It's the European guests that travel from far to attend this party that concern me.

Brummyboy92

Afternoon all, first time poster, and as I will be making my second trip to Disney Paris in September, I felt this topic would be a good place to start.

Im slightly underwhelmed with the lack of new attractions for the resorts 25th, however what I would like to see over the next 5 years would more than compensate.

First off Indiana Jones has to go, and either be replaced with the actual Indiana Jones Attraction, or a large Moana inspired attraction.

Next, Ive also always felt Journey to the Centre of the Earth would be completely in keeping with Discovery Land (Obviously). It would be such an awesome attraction to add to the park, with room available behind Hyperspace Mountain.

I want to see Fantasy Land expanded as well, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train would be completely appropriate, Be Our Guest Restaurant would also be a bonus, and either a Frozen Ever After attraction, or Ariel's Undersea Adventures. I believe Frozen ever after would fit in better along Side Snow White though.

As for Frontierland, Splash Mountain all the way, I believe with a bit of reconfiguration, there would be space near the Frontierland Rail depot. (I don't understand the water ride hate, we have plenty of water rides all over Europe, and one here would do really well).

As for WDS Park, well its a tough one. Even with all the new attractions its still pitiful. Studio Tours has to go, it takes up far too much space, or at least be completely reconfigured to free up some space. But for me its a confusing park, and I personally have no idea what I would do with it. Rumours of an Avatar themed area seem silly to me, and will further push this park into a more confused state. Its as though the park does not know what it wants to be. I guess Toy Story Mania could be a realistic possibility, but even that wont fix this park.

Disney Village also needs a bit of love, and just more to do in general. Again, I don't claim to have the answers to this one, its just missing something.

And finally a new park for the Resorts 30th, more importantly an Indoor Water Park over a Theme Park. This would secure Paris as a must visit attraction. 3 Diverse Parks, Disney Village Entertainment, less than an hour from the centre of Paris. These factors mean a long weekend, can become a week long break. Rumours already seem to be floating around regarding a Water Park anyway, so watch this space I suppose.

cjkeating

Afternoon all, first time poster, and as I will be making my second trip to Disney Paris in September, I felt this topic would be a good place to start.

Im slightly underwhelmed with the lack of new attractions for the resorts 25th, however what I would like to see over the next 5 years would more than compensate.

First off Indiana Jones has to go, and either be replaced with the actual Indiana Jones Attraction, or a large Moana inspired attraction.

Next, Ive also always felt Journey to the Centre of the Earth would be completely in keeping with Discovery Land (Obviously). It would be such an awesome attraction to add to the park, with room available behind Hyperspace Mountain.

I want to see Fantasy Land expanded as well, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train would be completely appropriate, Be Our Guest Restaurant would also be a bonus, and either a Frozen Ever After attraction, or Ariel's Undersea Adventures. I believe Frozen ever after would fit in better along Side Snow White though.

As for Frontierland, Splash Mountain all the way, I believe with a bit of reconfiguration, there would be space near the Frontierland Rail depot. (I don't understand the water ride hate, we have plenty of water rides all over Europe, and one here would do really well).

As for WDS Park, well its a tough one. Even with all the new attractions its still pitiful. Studio Tours has to go, it takes up far too much space, or at least be completely reconfigured to free up some space. But for me its a confusing park, and I personally have no idea what I would do with it. Rumours of an Avatar themed area seem silly to me, and will further push this park into a more confused state. Its as though the park does not know what it wants to be. I guess Toy Story Mania could be a realistic possibility, but even that wont fix this park.

Disney Village also needs a bit of love, and just more to do in general. Again, I don't claim to have the answers to this one, its just missing something.

And finally a new park for the Resorts 30th, more importantly an Indoor Water Park over a Theme Park. This would secure Paris as a must visit attraction. 3 Diverse Parks, Disney Village Entertainment, less than an hour from the centre of Paris. These factors mean a long weekend, can become a week long break. Rumours already seem to be floating around regarding a Water Park anyway, so watch this space I suppose.

Welcome to the forums!

That list will probably cover Disneyland Paris for the next 25 years so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Realistically in the next 5-10 years I would imagine we could see one major attraction in the main park and a wide scale place making with supporting attractions in the studio park.

Regarding a water park I believe that idea is generally dead as Village Nature is this year with it's own water park within the Disneyland Paris site. There were rumours of an additional hotel that would go behind Sequoia Lodge but I doubt we would see that until the hotel refurbishments are complete.

Brummyboy92

I imagine it would, but Im an optimistic kind of guy. :)

Realistically there is no reason the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train & Be our Guest Restaurant could not replace the Le Pays des contes de fees, as well as the Casey Junior Train attraction, in the next 3 years. Indiana Jones could be either replaced in that time, or in time for the Resorts 30th.

But as Spike-in-Berlin mentioned, Journey to the Centre of the Earth would be a massive pull for the Resort. Plus there is room for such an attraction, behind Hyperspace Mountain.

If WDS Parks are going in the direction of theming around big budget films, rather than a film studio theme, then simply get rid of Studio Tram Tours, which would free up lots of space, and go from there.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
Thanks for posting in this thread, sorry that I didn't respond earlier.

I presume you're only speaking of the castle park? WDS opened in 2002. And 12 years later we got the Ratatouille ride. Not my favorite, but at least not a cloned attraction. I much rather see the entire WDS park revamped before they add new attractions to DLP ;)

I consider WDS nearly a stillbirth , sorry. The entire park design and attraction roster is so underwhelming, that it would need a DCA-level revamp! to change it from "worst Disney park on the planet" to "good". It's a lost cause so they should instead concentrate on what is good already and improve it, the Disneyland park. A revamp of the WDS would cost at least 600 Mio. €, perhaps more. Add TWO E-Tickets, JttCotE and IJA, to DL would cost something in the range of 150-200 Mio. and would be a very substantial addition.

Add Splash Mountain to that list as well and I would fully agree.

It's neither Orlando nor Anaheim, you have to take the weather into consideration. Splash Mountain is not a good idea in the Parisian climate, it would be very unpopular in late fall and winter to be drenched with water. And Europeans have far less connection to the topic of the ride, than US citizens. Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear etc. says nothing to them, they are not familiar Disney characters.

Don't count on it.

I don't. Actually I would be surprised beyond recognition if they would add only one of both rides. And I am definitely not surprised, that they do everything else but no additions to the Disneyland park, it is, sad enough, the slowliest growing Disney park in the world.

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster

Welcome to the forum from me too, good post, but you will find out quite quickly that we are planning the parks as armchair imagineers all the time in these forums. At least I hoped for ONE major addition in the remaining years until the anniversary but as I already mentioned DLP is a park that grows with the pace of plate tectonics. That's the reason why DLP saw me for ONE vacation in the 21st century so far and WDW for 5.

Brummyboy92

Its a shame really, because whilst WDS still needs work, we've not seen anything major in the Magic Kingdom Park for quite some time.

Im looking forward to visiting in September, as Ive not been since pre Crush Coaster, but after that it will be Orlando 2019 and California the year after. Unless we see some drastic changes, it wont be at the top of my list.

Thanks for the welcome all. :D

AndyS2992

It's neither Orlando nor Anaheim, you have to take the weather into consideration. Splash Mountain is not a good idea in the Parisian climate, it would be very unpopular in late fall and winter to be drenched with water. And Europeans have far less connection to the topic of the ride, than US citizens. Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear etc. says nothing to them, they are not familiar Disney characters.
I don't really get the climate argument people and Disney themselves make, the UK, Norway, Sweden etc many colder countries than France have log flumes and rapid rides that operate all year without a problem. Tokyo is freezing in winter but still has a Splash Mountain and have a system that stops the splash. And the subject matter can be changed easily, doesn't have to be themed to SotS. Here's some old concept art which would work with Paris's 'Thunder Mesa Mining Town' theme and storyline which would compliment both Big Thunder Mountain and Phantom Manor.
812ce113788f3d7df3b34121d5276f79.jpg

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
I don't really get the climate argument people and Disney themselves make, the UK, Norway, Sweden etc many colder countries than France have log flumes and rapid rides that operate all year without a problem. Tokyo is freezing in winter but still has a Splash Mountain and have a system that stops the splash. And the subject matter can be changed easily, doesn't have to be themed to SotS. Here's some old concept art which would work with Paris's 'Thunder Mesa Mining Town' theme and storyline which would compliment both Big Thunder Mountain and Phantom Manor.

Correct me if I am wrong, but DLP is the only theme or amusement park in Europe that operates during winter season.

peep

Correct me if I am wrong, but DLP is the only theme or amusement park in Europe that operates during winter season.

Many European parks open in the Winter. Some open their water rides, others close them. For example, Phantasialand in Germany opens over Winter, closes the rapids but keeps the log flume open (when it isn't frozen over).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom