Pandora, more or less of a success than you predicted?

Pandora, better or worse than you expected

• Total voters

mergatroid

Original Poster
So it's been open a few weeks now. The reviews have come back regarding the two attractions, along with the opinions about the land as a whole. FOP seems to have hit a home run with many, whilst NRJ is judged as good but too short. Crowds are still there and merchandise is flying off the shelves.

Well has this gone better or worse than you thought it would?

Cosmic Commando

This is from someone who hasn't gone yet, but it has surpassed or met my expectations in every way.

- The look of the land is great, just like I expected it to be. The depth effects for the distant rockwork and waterfalls look incredible in photos; it could be the best version of that I've seen. That beats my expectations, so far.
- The rides are about what I expected them to be. FoP always seemed like it was billed as a huge E-ticket, and NRJ was labeled as a C-ticket way back in those leaked blueprints. We knew NRJ was going to be short for a long time now, but what's there seems to be pretty solid. I wouldn't mind a few more animal figures in NRJ, but the ride still seems to be quality. Most seem very impressed with FoP.
- The food and beverage is either at or slightly above my expectations. I think they did a really good job of making good, familiar food seem strange. It's also a type of QSR that I don't think the resort had on May 26th, so it fits in that real world way, too. The Night Blossom is pretty much exactly what I expected for their "butterbeer", and kudos to them for making a "glow seed" instead of the standard glow cube for their glowing drinks. Not really into alcohol, so no opinion there.
- The merchandise surprised me, both in the amount of stuff and that people seem to be eating it up. They have a bona fide hit with the little banshees, which I don't really think anyone saw coming. The create-your-own-avatar figurine is probably the best use of that tech yet. The real question, of course, will be what that store looks like in 5-10 years, but the merchandise team obviously worked their butts off for a movie that didn't generate a ton of merchandise even while being the biggest grossing film of all time. Weird, but true, that they may have actually underbuilt the retail space in the land when we all thought they wouldn't sell much of anything.
- To be fair, I've only watched about 30 seconds of the drum show, but it seems "meh" to me. I wasn't expecting any live entertainment, though.

Edit: I forgot... the biggest way that it exceeded expectations was how well it seems to fit into DAK. I always liked the movie, so I thought, "I'm sure the rides will be good, and it will look good, but it won't really belong in Animal Kingdom." The way they use Pandora as a lens through which we can look at the Earth really, really impressed me... I didn't see it coming. I don't remember who it was, but someone here thought it was sort of like WDI parodying itself by having people learn so much about this fictitious culture. Granted, learning to speak Na'vi probably won't have much practical value, but you will understand Earth better after visiting Pandora. There are lots of little touches. I highly recommend everyone read the Joe Rohde Instagram thread.

Last edited:

SeanWM48

have not seen the place and probably far too early to call it a success but i'll say i was very skeptical going into this.

i was NOT skeptical of Disney's ability to create a detailed, fascinating land to visit. i was skeptical of Avatar and its popularity. i just feel like everybody's moved on from it and the perception on the Avatar movie franchise (if you can even call it that) is very different now than it was 4-5 years ago when this project began.

so far so good from what i read and i honestly do look forward to seeing it myself.

djkidkaz

I think why it works is because the majority of people have either never seen avatar or have only seen it once. So you have no connection to the franchise. When you walk in to the area I don't think about Avatar at all. The floating mountains are just floating mountains, not "the floating mountains from Avatar". The Navi River Journey is just a boat ride through a glowing forest, not "the bioluminescent forest of Pandora". And even for Flight of Passage, flying on the back of an Ikran mine as well just be a made up dragon, I don't think about it as an "Character from the Avatar franchise". For me, I saw the movie once, would never watch it again and have no connection to any of it. To me the land is almost like Beastly Kingdom, made up of mythical creatures, not "Pandora the world of Avatar".

Kevin_W

I think why it works is because the majority of people have either never seen avatar or have only seen it once. So you have no connection to the franchise. When you walk in to the area I don't think about Avatar at all. The floating mountains are just floating mountains, not "the floating mountains from Avatar". The Navi River Journey is just a boat ride through a glowing forest, not "the bioluminescent forest of Pandora". And even for Flight of Passage, flying on the back of an Ikran mine as well just be a made up dragon, I don't think about it as an "Character from the Avatar franchise". For me, I saw the movie once, would never watch it again and have no connection to any of it. To me the land is almost like Beastly Kingdom, made up of mythical creatures, not "Pandora the world of Avatar".

I think that's a good summation of why it works in AK.

I voted "met expectations", which I think is a good thing since I had reasonably high expectations. I am one that doesn't think the boat ride is too short - since it's a world to which I don't have an emotional connection I think it could run the risk of getting boring if it were much longer.

FoP met my expectations for being a phenomenal simulator, even though those are not my favorite type of ride. I would still prefer to ride Everest or even 7DMT over FoP. But I still liked it.

RSoxNo1

I think that's a good summation of why it works in AK.

I voted "met expectations", which I think is a good thing since I had reasonably high expectations. I am one that doesn't think the boat ride is too short - since it's a world to which I don't have an emotional connection I think it could run the risk of getting boring if it were much longer.

FoP met my expectations for being a phenomenal simulator, even though those are not my favorite type of ride. I would still prefer to ride Everest or even 7DMT over FoP. But I still liked it.

When this was first announced I was cautiously optimistic and presented the land as follows, "If AVATAR didn't exist and Disney announced that they teamed up with James Cameron to make a land full of mythical animals from an Alien planet, we would all be on board." That's essentially what they did. The treatment of this IP in a purpose built area was excellent. You can like or dislike the attractions held within, but the treatment of the IP was phenomenal.

Daveeeeed

When this was first announced I was cautiously optimistic and presented the land as follows, "If AVATAR didn't exist and Disney announced that they teamed up with James Cameron to make a land full of mythical animals from an Alien planet, we would all be on board." That's essentially what they did. The treatment of this IP in a purpose built area was excellent. You can like or dislike the attractions held within, but the treatment of the IP was phenomenal.
Very well put.

cjkeating

Spot on.

No Name

Is the question whether the land is better/worse than I expected, or whether it's more/less successful than I expected?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I don't fit into any of these categories. FoP was significantly better than I was expecting, but the rest of Pandora wasn't nearly as impressive as it had been hyped up to be. I would have been just as happy if they had opened FoP 2 years ago without the rest of the land and attractions around it.

Kman101

Well said. I've said this about a lot of things. If Rat weren't from a movie more people would be much more open to it going into France. Not talking about the quality of Rat, and it's not exactly the same as a whole land, but just using it as an example.

aw14

I was in pandora for many hours yesterday and I have to admit I was a skeptic. But Disney it a homer in here imo. It's rides were excellent, FOP was amazing, the overall theming truly makes you feel outside of AK, and we loved Satuli Canteen. Had breakfast and lunch there. The sausage with pork hash for breakfast is delicious.

We went back last night just to see the bioluminescence. It was totally worth it. To my family, Pandora really payed off.

yeti

I've heard mention that the bioluminescence at night was ever so slightly disappointing. would you guys recommend seeing it for the first time during the daytime or in the evening?

Figment2005

I've heard mention that the bioluminescence at night was ever so slightly disappointing. would you guys recommend seeing it for the first time during the daytime or in the evening?
It is very dark at night, so going during the day to get your bearings would be a good idea. However I believe that the darkness is what allows you to forget that your in a theme park and just wandering through another world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom