New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Old Mouseketeer

Drove by the new CM lot on Anaheim Way yesterday. They're putting in foundations for the buildings now. Looks like in a few months they'll be ready to close Pumbaa. At the rate they're (not) moving with the City on Eastern Gateway, that should be about right. LOL

TP2000

Drove by the new CM lot on Anaheim Way yesterday. They're putting in foundations for the buildings now. Looks like in a few months they'll be ready to close Pumbaa. At the rate they're (not) moving with the City on Eastern Gateway, that should be about right. LOL

Is this the construction going on behind that Lopez & Lefty's sports bar, directly east of the freeway? If so, it's not a very big piece of land.

jmuboy

Is this the construction going on behind that Lopez & Lefty's sports bar, directly east of the freeway? If so, it's not a very big piece of land.
The parking deck construction site is the dirt piles you see JUST on the edge ( right side ) of the Southbound 5 Freeway around Disney Way exits. You

NobodyElse

The parking deck construction site is the dirt piles you see JUST on the edge ( right side ) of the Southbound 5 Freeway around Disney Way exits. You

One or more of us is super-confused. I think what you describe is the proposed "Transportation Center" that would connect directly to the "Bridge". I think what TP and I are looking for is the location of the new Cast Member parking location.

troy.

Concerning the mention of Cast Member parking. Are you referring to Anaheim way across the freeway? Just noticed it shows "Disney work parking" on Google maps. I did not know that Disney had land over there.

parking.png

NobodyElse

Concerning the mention of Cast Member parking. Are you referring to Anaheim way across the freeway? Just noticed it shows "Disney work parking" on Google maps. I did not know that Disney had land over there.

View attachment 210753
That's the lot I was wondering about earlier. (As of today) it's entrance on Claudina looks like this?
upload_2017-6-17_17-18-25.png

It features the famous main power transmission lines, a few scattered cars, some dusty buses, and this transportation hub:
upload_2017-6-17_17-20-52.png

(Closer shot of sign, indicating this lot is used for construction workers, not Registered Trademark Cast Members.)
upload_2017-6-17_17-22-58.png

The parcel that @Old Mouseketeer and @TP2000 are likely referring to is directly below the word "work" on your photo. It has been cleared, and indeed has some forms being laid out.
upload_2017-6-17_17-28-4.png

...and a different angle.
upload_2017-6-17_17-29-21.png

I hope some of this helps us know what we're talking about.

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

Now I'm confused. I thought the new CM parking was going into the RV lot Disney purchased a few years ago near Ball Rd (marked in red). Is the area in yellow new additional CM parking or did Disney change their mind on Ball Rd?

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 10.23.57 AM.png

NobodyElse

Now I'm confused. I thought the new CM parking was going into the RV lot Disney purchased a few years ago near Ball Rd (marked in red). Is the area in yellow new additional CM parking or did Disney change their mind on Ball Rd?

View attachment 210850

I believe the Ball/Harbor lot might already be in use? Perhaps the other lot would be in addition to it.

I also thought I remembered talk of building multi-level CM parking on the Ball/Harbor plot. If so, they would probably use the new lot in it's place while doing construction.

Obviously somebody knows exactly what the plans are. I'm just not that guy. Perhaps the right person will stop by and fill us in. (I don't think any of this really needs to be top secret code name stuff.)

TP2000

Thank you @NobodyElse and @troy. ! Those photos and aerials answer the questions here perfectly.

I'll go dig around on the Anaheim Planning Commission website and see if I can't find the permit for this new parking lot someone is building on Anaheim Blvd. It's very likely Disney, and very likely for CM's. The construction workers are already parking nearby and must then be shuttled to/from Star Wars Land each day. That project still has at least 18 months of mega-work left, and it sounds like Marvel Land will be gearing up later this year. Lots of construction guys to park for the next few years, and lots of new CM's to park for the next few decades.

And what a wise and forward-thinking decision by TDA senior executives for the past decade to hold off on building that Pumbaa Parking Structure that received its build permit from the city a decade ago! Those TDA suits are crackerjack strategists, aren't they?!? :rolleyes:

Old Mouseketeer

I believe the permit was posted here months ago and it is specifically listed as employee parking with support facilities (like Harbor/Ball). That's when I started driving by it every couple of months.

TP2000

Another two weeks have gone by, tomorrow is the latest Anaheim Planning Commission meeting, and the Eastern Gateway project is not on the docket. Again. http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/ag_3vers/planning.pdf

That pushes us into mid July for the next opportunity for the Eastern Gateway to get approval.

But my hunch is that TDA will wait for D23 Expo and the inevitable splashy announcements of Marvel Land, buzzy details on the fabulous Star Wars Land, and whatever else they announce at D23. That would put more pressure on Anaheim to come back to the table and help prepare for the influx of tax-boosting visitors the latest Disneyland Resort expansions will soon be bringing in. So maybe a Planning Commission meeting in August or September?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Another two weeks have gone by, tomorrow is the latest Anaheim Planning Commission meeting, and the Eastern Gateway project is not on the docket. Again. http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/ag_3vers/planning.pdf

That pushes us into mid July for the next opportunity for the Eastern Gateway to get approval.

But my hunch is that TDA will wait for D23 Expo and the inevitable splashy announcements of Marvel Land, buzzy details on the fabulous Star Wars Land, and whatever else they announce at D23. That would put more pressure on Anaheim to come back to the table and help prepare for the influx of tax-boosting visitors the latest Disneyland Resort expansions will soon be bringing in. So maybe a Planning Commission meeting in August or September?

So approval by fall, construction starts by winter (with stops for weather). That would mean potentially it could be finished (with how fast parking garages can be built) by winter 2018/spring 2019. Just in time for Star Wars Land to be finished.

TP2000

So approval by fall, construction starts by winter (with stops for weather). That would mean potentially it could be finished (with how fast parking garages can be built) by winter 2018/spring 2019. Just in time for Star Wars Land to be finished.

Cutting it close, but it's conceivable. This project was announced almost a year ago with a big splash. Then it sank.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go at all, and TDA apparently had no Plan B. So it will be interesting to see what they come up with after D23 Expo puts some pressure on things. There will be pressure on both sides after D23, I'd imagine.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Cutting it close, but it's conceivable. This project was announced almost a year ago with a big splash. Then it sank.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go at all, and TDA apparently had no Plan B. So it will be interesting to see what they come up with after D23 Expo puts some pressure on things. There will be pressure on both sides after D23, I'd imagine.

Since the issue and holdup is the bridge I think Plan B is simple. Plan B should be just build the parking garage without the bridge with a path to the street. Then let the onslaught of guests try crossing that intersection and see the mess it'll make. And see how much those Harbor St business will NOT actually get much uptick in business they claim is being affected by the bridge. The city will be begging Disney to build the bridge and even offer to help pay for it.

D

Deleted member 107043

To be sure this project, in some form or another, will happen. My guess is that Disney is working with city planners, and possibly in private with the impacted businesses, on an alternate solution which they will submit for public review at the appropriate time. As DisneyIrishGuy said, from all indications the proposed bridge across Harbor cutting off the businesses on that street is the primary roadblock to overcome.

truecoat

Since the issue and holdup is the bridge I think Plan B is simple. Plan B should be just build the parking garage without the bridge with a path to the street. Then let the onslaught of guests try crossing that intersection and see the mess it'll make. And see how much those Harbor St business will NOT actually get much uptick in business they claim is being affected by the bridge. The city will be begging Disney to build the bridge and even offer to help pay for it.

Gondola!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom