News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

BrianLo

One should consider TSMM as part of TSL.

After all, Universal created Hogsmeade at the outset with just one new ride and repurposed two existing coasters to be part of the land. And as incredibly fantastic was the theming of Hogsmeade and FJ, the extremely light retheming of the two coasters, if it had been done by Disney, would have been constantly jeered on these forums.

But regardless of that, TSL was built around TSMM so that it would be part of it and be a 3-ride land.

Agreed. As much as it is a missed opportunity still (and I actually like the aesthetic result in Hong Kong); TSMM is infinitely superior to any of the Playland flats, as will be the coaster.

Frankly, I think Mater's is way better than slinky dog spin and certainly the ugly 'drop' tower.

So comparing this to playland is wildly off base. It was a missed opportunity to cut the show, meet and greet and retail to flush it out. But this is much, much different on paper than what they currently have in Paris, HK or soon to be Shanghai.

WildcatDen

Really, one of the worst movies they have ever seen? Might want to reconsider who's judgement you trust:p.
I trust my kids. Now, re-read my post. One of the worst movies they have ever paid to see. Unlike some, they only pay to see movies they think they will like. Since this movie dealt with theme's they both have experience in, they assumed they, like the "expert" critics, would like the movie. WRONG. I heard the words Crap, Unbelievable, Stupid, Horrible Singing, etc.
So, there it is. Still, I was one of the people who could not believe Chicago beat Fellowship or that Shakespeare in Love beat Private Ryan. Oh, and I also paid to see Joe versus the Volcano and enjoyed it. Maybe I have a Brain Cloud?

FigmentForver96

That depends. Alien and Indiana Jones came out not long before GMR opened, and the dialogue was changed in the 90's to add a hint of The Sixth Sense as well.

I'd personally consider La La Land a modern classic, but that's just me.
I love La La Land. Saw it on my flight to South Africa and had to watch it on the way back because it was so good! It has this cool vibe of the older musicals where the dancing outshines the singing most of the time. The dance routines were amazing.

Now I'm done

ToTBellHop

From what I gather, La La Land is a love it or hate it. I have not seen it yet myself, but my two daughters, one a Band/Jazz musician and the other experienced in Choir/Theater/Media Production both chalk it up as one of the worst movies they have ever paid to see. I trust their judgment and may opt to see it if it comes out on Netflix. . .
I struggled to stay awake but I see why the Academy would love a musical about being an actor. I never mind seeing Emma Stone (and I'm sure the other half of people feel that way toward Ryan Gosling) but I've appreciated some of her other roles more (The Help and even Crazy, Stupid Love).

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I trust my kids. Now, re-read my post. One of the worst movies they have ever paid to see. Unlike some, they only pay to see movies they think they will like. Since this movie dealt with theme's they both have experience in, they assumed they, like the "expert" critics, would like the movie. WRONG. I heard the words Crap, Unbelievable, Stupid, Horrible Singing, etc.
So, there it is. Still, I was one of the people who could not believe Chicago beat Fellowship or that Shakespeare in Love beat Private Ryan. Oh, and I also paid to see Joe versus the Volcano and enjoyed it. Maybe I have a Brain Cloud?
Oh if I could only remember the junk I paid for, I beleive Nacho Libre was one of those, but I kind of knew that was going to be bad haha.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
By the time SWL opens I expect 2 of those to be 'different'. I mentioned earlier that 1 could be sooner, I am hearing next year for 1 and another by the close of 2019 but that one requires some infrastructure work. The other 2 should be refreshed by 2021. I also heard a rumor about a potential new show in a newish location. Serpico was pretty cryptic though on that one. Still, I really think we are trending the right way. . .

BatB's theater has been mentioned by a few sources as most likely to be changed after the two lands and GMR. Most likely to be enclosed, or, demo'd for something new.

I would love to see a new show in place of VotLM.

Meeko77

If GMR wasn't seeing a hostile takeover by Mickey, aside from completely updated AAs, i'd love to have seen La La Land added as a scene... I think it would've blended nicely. Maybe replace footlight parade?

I would, too. La La Land is one of my favorite films - love the music. Would be fun for those of us who used to watch MMC to have Ryan be part of the Great Movie Ride. :)

Mat Cauthon

I struggled to stay awake but I see why the Academy would love a musical about being an actor. I never mind seeing Emma Stone (and I'm sure the other half of people feel that way toward Ryan Gosling) but I've appreciated some of her other roles more (The Help and even Crazy, Stupid Love).
Zombieland for me thanks.
Someone's ear is in danger of having hair brushed over it...

AndrewsJ

GOTG has already butchered one thrill ride. Just say no to half-assed overlays no one asked for.
Actually I wouldn't say butchered. The DCA TOT was an afterthought. A butchered version of the TOT at DHS. Reviews for GOTG:MB have been stellar. My review being one of them. The outside of the building not so much but the attraction itself is a winner. If it wasn't obvious by the exterior one might never know it was once a poor man's version of TOT. The new attraction is far superior. Don't get me wrong. The DHS version should never be touched other than maintenance. It set the precedent in the theme park industry for immersion in my opinion and is the best attraction ever built. I couldn't say the same for the DCA version.

AndrewsJ

And he wasn't happy after he first rode it. Just like Imagination Two....
I didn't know much about it before I rode for the first time. I was shocked to say the least. The hallway between the boiler room and the actual elevator just blew my mind. Still a fun ride but just not up to the standards I had come to expect.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I didn't know much about it before I rode for the first time. I was shocked to say the least. The hallway between the boiler room and the actual elevator just blew my mind. Still a fun ride but just not up to the standards I had come to expect.
Awkward doorway corridor as it came to be known. How hard could it have been to install two doors per load/unload (even manually operated ones) to mask the corridor either side for loaders??!!

lazyboy97o

Awkward doorway corridor as it came to be known. How hard could it have been to install two doors per load/unload (even manually operated ones) to mask the corridor either side for loaders??!!
Without really looking at it, I could see such doors being a life safety issue.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

That still would've been awkward.

The awkward corridor didn't bother me that much. I think I was more annoyed by always having to go up the stairs to the second level. Always a pain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom