Pop Century Room Rehab

Bocabear

It is really not bad, but when you compare it to what they did at Cabana Bay for the same price point/style room... Universal I have to say, has beat them at this game. All of the Disney resorts need to upgrade to make their properties better match their competitors in the real world... even the resort facilities like swimming pools... Aside from Stormalong Bay, and the Polynesian Volcano pool, most of the Disney resorts have very plain pool areas...they could and really should be upgraded...

allgiggles

With the Gondolas coming to Pop and this new theme or lack of theme clearly has nothing to do with the resort theme
is it possible Pop itself is looking at a re-theme down the line? It is like they ran to Target to pickup some Disney
stuff for there little apartment. I like it better than the old room but I think that is because it looks new and clean
and the Pop rooms were not really that. Good luck keeping that white clean though.

My thought from the first time I saw pictures of the mock-up room was that they will re-working the whole resort. I envision them redoing all of the exterior and main building areas after the rooms are completed. I think they'll stick with the current "theme", but will make it more subtle and not so in-your-face (not that I mind it the way it is). Time will tell.....

Cmdr_Crimson

My thought from the first time I saw pictures of the mock-up room was that they will re-working the whole resort. I envision them redoing all of the exterior and main building areas after the rooms are completed. I think they'll stick with the current "theme", but will make it more subtle and not so in-your-face (not that I mind it the way it is). Time will tell.....

I've noticed this as well as it has become more of a Val-Mod (Value hotel with Moderate prices) I would be surprised if down the road Everthing Pop gets a makeover to make it more appealing.

grim-grinning_toast

I freakin' love it. I think it is a really smart way to implement the POP theme in a more Pop Art way, as opposed to Pop Culture. I think the rooms look super crisp and updated. I am a massive fan.

(Also, just for the record, I have never liked Pop Century. My husband and I literally call it Poop Century. But this might change things!)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It is really not bad, but when you compare it to what they did at Cabana Bay for the same price point/style room... Universal I have to say, has beat them at this game. All of the Disney resorts need to upgrade to make their properties better match their competitors in the real world... even the resort facilities like swimming pools... Aside from Stormalong Bay, and the Polynesian Volcano pool, most of the Disney resorts have very plain pool areas...they could and really should be upgraded...
I agree, but it helps that Cabana Bay is only a few years old. POP has the disadvantage of being around for 25 plus years. Sometimes, even when you do refurb a property, age will still show.

Epcot82Guy

I agree with most of the "positive but" comments. I really like the new set up and general feel. I do miss the posters and see way too much white. I actually wish they had painted the back wall an accent color and affixed (strongly) the poster to the sliding door (leaving it white). That could have been a nice way to bring some color and call attention to the Disney a bit more.

I will say, this isn't as jarring at the Swan/Dolphin redo. The Swan was previously my favorite place to stay, but the new rooms are SO sterile and with such a markup (let alone an add cool color palate to the outside's very warm and bring palate) I simply won't stay there any longer.

Really hoping Disney adds a little more "character" (pun totally intended) as these updates continue.

AndrewsJ

I agree with most of the "positive but" comments. I really like the new set up and general feel. I do miss the posters and see way too much white. I actually wish they had painted the back wall an accent color and affixed (strongly) the poster to the sliding door (leaving it white). That could have been a nice way to bring some color and call attention to the Disney a bit more.

I will say, this isn't as jarring at the Swan/Dolphin redo. The Swan was previously my favorite place to stay, but the new rooms are SO sterile and with such a markup (let alone an add cool color palate to the outside's very warm and bring palate) I simply won't stay there any longer.

Really hoping Disney adds a little more "character" (pun totally intended) as these updates continue.
I almost said the same thing about the Swan and Dolphin. I feel exactly the way you do. I was in utter shock when I saw those rooms in person for the first time. I felt like I was in a hospital room. Plus there are so many coats of paint on the walls and trim that it looks like it should be striped or replaced. I'm so glad that it's not just me.

I know I'm repeating myself but I say "well done" on the Pop rooms except the wall color. I think the setup is actually really cool. They were able to fit 2 queen sized beds without losing the table and chairs and mounted the TVs on the wall. It looks much more modern. I also really like the pop art touches reminiscent of Brito who does a lot of Disney art and somewhat like Andy Warhol with the headboard. I guess pop art and pop culture are close enough lol. The market is younger families with younger kids I think so there just should have been more color.

AndrewsJ

That is what Art of Animation is for! :p
True! I guess I hadn't thought of that! Ha ha. Maybe they were thinking malong the lines of Animator's Palate on the cruise ships that started in black and white and as the meal progressed so did the colors of the surroundings and the wait staff's uniforms. I think you may be on to something!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom