For the dudes sitting as a lady stands...

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
If you are able and you see someone who needs a seat, then get up and offer them your seat, I know your feet hurt, so did mine. At the very least offer your seat or find out if they need one. With that being said....Put your kid in the stroller and hang the bags from the grip if you are one of those people. Chances are the room you need is by the door anyhow.

Do you offer your seat to people who are your age, and your gender?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Holy hell. It's not special treatment. Special treatment would be Disney making a rule that says "able bodied men MUST offer their seat to women and the elderly." Nobody is arguing that. @Osh Popham is just saying "don't be a ****, dude."

I disagree. Anytime someone has some expectation that someone take an action for someone else, it's special treatment.

Weather_Lady

I'm a woman, but I'm in terrific health and well able to survive a 30-minute bus ride clinging to an overhead pole. I'll offer my seat to anyone older than I, anyone who appears physically disabled, parents holding babes-in-arms, pregnant women, and anyone wearing a veteran's cap or a uniform. Or, frankly, to anybody else who asks politely... I just pray that someday when I'm the person who is elderly/disabled, others will do the same for me.

(Edited to add: That being said, except for the short periods of my life when I was hugely pregnant or on crutches, I've never expected anyone to offer their seat to me, nor would I have accepted it if they had offered.)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm a woman, but I'm in terrific health and well able to survive a 30-minute bus ride clinging to an overhead pole. I'll offer my seat to anyone older than I, anyone who appears physically disabled, parents holding babes-in-arms, pregnant women, and anyone wearing a veteran's cap or a uniform. Or, frankly, to anybody else who asks politely... I just pray that someday when I'm the person who is elderly/disabled, others will do the same for me.
And if you were standing and a man offered you his seat, I assume you wouldn't fly into a rage. I imagine you'd sincerely say something like "no, but thanks for offering" and that would be the end of it.

Gender is a social construct. [/sarc]

Jedi Stitch

RustySpork, If there was a dude who was 42 and had a walking cast or a sleeping kid, then yes, I would see if he needed the seat, but as I said before if he is carrying the said sleeping kid, but had a stroller packed with everything but a kid I would suggest to him to put the kid in the stroller. If he had the kid with out a stroller, then yes I would offer him a seat, if he had the boot I would also offer the seat. I would be ready to relinquish the seat if he took me up on the offer. The situation OshPopham put forth is clear, would you give up your seat for someone who could really use it. The question I have for you, are you saying you wouldn't?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
RustySpork, If there was a dude who was 42 and had a walking cast or a sleeping kid, then yes, I would see if he needed the seat, but as I said before if he is carrying the said sleeping kid, but had a stroller packed with everything but a kid I would suggest to him to put the kid in the stroller. If he had the kid with out a stroller, then yes I would offer him a seat, if he had the boot I would also offer the seat. I would be ready to relinquish the seat if he took me up on the offer. The situation OshPopham put forth is clear, would you give up your seat for someone who could really use it. The question I have for you, are you saying you wouldn't?

What if that person who's your age was struggling with a bad back, but no had no visible external symptoms?

I'm not saying I wouldn't, no. I'm just taking the opposing position for the sake of the conversation.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What if that person who's your age was struggling with a bad back, but no had no visible external symptoms?
What if time traveling space aliens from Mars came and zapped a guy with magical pain rays that only activate when he's on the third seat on the left side of a moving bus and you were sitting in the fourth seat next to Johnny Depp and his pet unicorn but the one guy looked to be able-bodied except for a tail that grew out of his elbow and the only seat that could accommodate the tail was the one across from you, but you didn't know the person sitting there or if they were suffering from a similar condition?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
What if time traveling space aliens from Mars came and zapped a guy with magical pain rays that only activate when he's on the third seat on the left side of a moving bus and you were sitting in the fourth seat next to Johnny Depp and his pet unicorn but the one guy looked to be able-bodied except for a tail that grew out of his elbow and the only seat that could accommodate the tail was the one across from you, but you didn't know the person sitting there or if they were suffering from a similar condition?

I'd ponder the idea of giving up my seat, but only if they offered a golden FP+ to the alien ship.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
That's irrelevant though, if they were there first they don't have an obligation to move for anyone else even if they don't make up a reason. Having an expectation that someone else should inconvenience themselves for you is an entitlement.

Irrelevant? So someone who's faking a leg injury is entitled to that seat? You're probably okay with people who dont have anything wrong with them parking in handicap spots in store lots just because they have the sign hanging from their mirror.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
download (3).jpg

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Irrelevant? So someone who's faking a leg injury is entitled to that seat? You're probably okay with people who dont have anything wrong with them parking in handicap spots in store lots just because they have the sign hanging from their mirror.

How do you know that person is faking? If they have a sign hanging from their mirror that is assigned to them, yes because that means that they meet the minimum standard to be legally eligible to park there. Their ailment or lack of is not for me to judge.

Minthorne

These threads are akin to reminding people to flush the toilet or cover their mouth when they cough/sneeze. They do not reach the individual that prompted the post and only inform people that already know the information. Does anyone really have the delusion that some callous seat hogging healthy male will learn manners from a post on a message board? Oh man why am I posting here....ABORT ABORT!!

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Why can we not just be courteous people without having to analyze whether the courtesy is warranted? There are things in life that are worth questioning. Being courteous to others is not really one of things.

If you ever do find the rare and mythical courtesy at Walt Disney World, please let us know. :joyfull:

Osh Popham

Original Poster
These threads are akin to reminding people to flush the toilet or cover their mouth when they cough/sneeze. They do not reach the individual that prompted the post and only inform people that already know the information. Does anyone really have the delusion that some callous seat hogging healthy male will learn manners from a post on a message board? Oh man why am I posting here....ABORT ABORT!!

You really don't know that. Seeds are planted in various ways.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Yes, but Lying diminishes your SOUL !! IMHO !!

And - KARMA is a !!
so does this mean ginger people can lie as they have no soul ? ;)
Also don't women always have to sit ? It's only men who have the option to stand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom