For the dudes sitting as a lady stands...

Osh Popham

Original Poster
If you are sitting on the monorail, bus, boat, etc. and a woman, child or another dude holding his sleeping child gets on and has to stand as you sit, you may want to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Society will never "evolve" to the point at which offering your seat to these folks will not be the right thing.

Saying so may make me unpopular but if anyone takes this to heart, well worth me saying so. It really does feel good to be a gentleman.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If you are sitting on the monorail, bus, boat, etc. and a woman, child or another dude holding his sleeping child gets on and has to stand as you sit, you may want to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Society will never "evolve" to the point at which offering your seat to these folks will not be the right thing.

Saying so may make me unpopular but if anyone takes this to heart, well worth me saying so. It really does feel good to be a gentleman.
Also: elderly people and small children.

I can't wait for the first poster to pop in here and tell you that you're an oppressor of the patriarchy.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
What if that person sitting, while visibly young and visibly male has a non-visible back, leg, or foot problem and is only sitting because standing is much more painful than not? Do you still expect them to stand so someone else can sit? Have you ever heard the phrase don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes? So what if someone else has to stand, that person always has the option of being first in line for the next monorail so they can sit.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
To the OP
Your an oppressor of the patriachy.

To @RustySpork

images (3).jpg

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
What if that person sitting, while visibly young and visibly male has a non-visible back, leg, or foot problem and is only sitting because standing is much more painful than not? Do you still expect them to stand so someone else can sit? Have you ever heard the phrase don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes? So what if someone else has to stand, that person always has the option of being first in line for the next monorail so they can sit.

In this day and age, people can easily lie and say they have those injuries just so they dont have to move.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
In this day and age, people can easily lie and say they have those injuries just so they dont have to move.

That's irrelevant though, if they were there first they don't have an obligation to move for anyone else even if they don't make up a reason. Having an expectation that someone else should inconvenience themselves for you is an entitlement.

Osh Popham

Original Poster

Valid point and obviously not the intended audience. No call to judgement either other than the guilty judge themselves.

And there are those who are guilty. Being first does not entitle you to ignore those more needy than yourself.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It's not an obligation, it's common courtesy and basic human decency. At least it used to be.

Who decides and defines that moral code though? I'm not saying I won't give up a seat myself, because I do it all the time. I'm just saying it should never be an expectation because at that point, it becomes an entitlement.

Valid point and obviously not the intended audience. No call to judgement either other than the guilty judge themselves.

And there are those who are guilty. Being first does not entitle you to ignore those more needy than yourself.

Ignoring those needier than yourself doesn't define an entitlement. That other person can wait just like everyone else.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Who decides and defines that moral code though?
What an asinine question. Do you pick your nose and wipe it off under the table when you sit down at a restaurant? Do you walk up to random fat people and say "lose some weight, porky"? Do you point and laugh when you see a wounded veteran with a prosthetic leg? No? Why not? Who decides and defines that moral code?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
What an asinine question. Do you pick your nose and wipe it off under the table when you sit down at a restaurant? Do you walk up to random fat people and say "lose some weight, porky"? Do you point and laugh when you see a wounded veteran with a prosthetic leg? No? Why not? Who decides and defines that moral code?

Except that all of these things are very much unlike giving up a seat on a monorail because some imaginary moral code says if you are young and able you must give up your seat to someone who may not even want it because someone else will judge you if you don't.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Except that all of these things are very much unlike giving up a seat on a monorail because some imaginary moral code says if you are young and able you must give up your seat to someone who may not even want it because someone else will judge you if you don't.
The reason to offer your seat is not because someone else will judge you. You do it because it's the nice/kind/polite thing to do. Someone judging you is just a side effect.

Osh Popham

Original Poster

RustySpork, I realize you are playing devil's advocate as you say you actually practice this courtesy yourself. My intention was not to stir the pot but to impress upon someone that there may be a better course of action.

I would say it's indefensible to not help when you can in any situation. As @CaptainAmerica said, it's common decency and that's what I'd like to highlight.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
RustySpork, I realize you are playing devil's advocate as you say you actually practice this courtesy yourself. My intention was not to stir the pot but to impress upon someone that there may be a better course of action.

I would say it's indefensible to not help when you can in any situation. As @CaptainAmerica said, it's common decency and that's what I'd like to highlight.

I do practice it myself, but even if I didn't that wouldn't make me a bad person. What we were talking about a young lady, should we have the same expectation that she give up her seat for an older gentleman? It's all subjective, and an unreasonable expectation to obligate them to do something through peer pressure.

The person standing always has the opportunity to wait for the next monorail, ferry, bus, etc. They shouldn't get special treatment.

Jedi Stitch

If you are able and you see someone who needs a seat, then get up and offer them your seat, I know your feet hurt, so did mine. At the very least offer your seat or find out if they need one. With that being said....Put your kid in the stroller and hang the bags from the grip if you are one of those people. Chances are the room you need is by the door anyhow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom