News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

jt04

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant but wanted to be sure. Again, enough strong fits from Disney's catalog of classic animated films and then there is also Zootopia that fits well as a far less "classic" and more recent movie.

Zootopia has next to nothing to do with the natural world.

K.B

So GMT MICKEY looks a go from Marnis Intel. Integrating trackless vehicle animatronics, projection, fiber optics, all kinds of fun. I want concept can anyone dish basic plot?

Goofyernmost

That's a great marketing slogan for a premium quality and price Disney Park! Buyer Beware!
and certainly the thousands of tourists that don't follow the blogs get what they deserve when they find that Disney's Hollywood Studios only has 4 rides and is covered with construction walls...
It only had two rides when it opened and the price was full price. The rest required hours of walking, they should have been paying us to go there.

Goofyernmost

And it was a full day park. It was never about "rides".
Yes, I know however, like now, and a certain person I know, many tend to not always want to see anything that isn't a ride and left. That was true back then and still is. Same with DAK except that now the half of the day will be spent standing in line in Pandora, so that problem is solved.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, I know however, like now, and a certain person I know, many tend to not always want to see anything that isn't a ride and left..
With so many theatre based attractions when it opened - which partly led to issues later on - the park didn't pretend to be anything it wasn't.

Much like EPCOT Center you needed more than one brain cell to appreciate Disney MGM when it opened. But the expansion rush and hugely extended hours for its early years suggest many guests fitted the bill.

Goofyernmost

With so many theatre based attractions when it opened - which partly led to issues later on - the park didn't pretend to be anything it wasn't.

Much like EPCOT Center you needed more than one brain cell to appreciate Disney MGM when it opened. But the expansion rush and hugely extended hours for its early years suggest many guests fitted the bill.
Why then did it get the reputation of a half day park? If I might venture a guess it is because there were very many people that where ride oriented and didn't stay for the shows. I was one that thought of it as a half day, but, it wasn't because there wasn't enough to do, it was because, at the time, I had kids that weren't into shows and being on their feet that many hours. (Oh, and a wife that was that way too.) So I always considered it a half day. Did the highlights and hopped to MK or Epcot or DTD for the rest of the day. It just didn't have the holding power over time. Whatever the case it was widely regarded as not an evening park by a lot of people.

Cesar R M

We still have to remind ourselves that people that visit there that often are a huge minority. Believe this or not, some people can go just once in their lifetime and be OK with that and never feel slighted at all. And there are still millions and millions of people in the world and even in the states that have never seen it once. It is only old to those of us that have obsessed about the place and feel the need to go again and again and again. We are not the majority, by even a close margin. In other words, we don't pay the bills. We contribute a great deal to the bonus account, but, we do not support it. The fact that some of it is getting old, is really just our problem, it is not a problem for them.
Still does not affect them to get a comparable high quality show.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I just don't understand the logic of turning this into a Mickey Mouse attraction, with ONE IP. Mickey already sells merchandise without needing an attraction. Since Disney is all about synergy at the moment, and looking to profit off of any expansion they put into the parks, one would think that they would just refresh the Great Movie Ride with multiple "relevant" IPs. Keep Mary Poppins, Indy, and Wizard of Oz, and then add in Zootopia, Guardians of the Galaxy, Inside Out, and other franchises not represented in the parks, and it would provide them a reason to push multiple merchandise and promote synergy for multiple films. The Great Movie Ride would be the perfect opportunity to do something like this.

IMO, Disney needs to get more guests visiting the other parks and away from MK since it's always overcrowded...having a big Mickey ride in DHS will definitely help do that

Goofyernmost

Still does not affect them to get a comparable high quality show.
It does affect them when you factor in the cost of producing, rehearsing, setting, etc. a new show that won't ring the register on it's own. I'm not saying that it would be a problem, guest wise, to have something new, but, I am trying to explain why when you look at it through Disney's contact lenses, the expense does not translate into new dollars. In other words, no one is going to make a long trip to WDW because they just heard that there was a new show, especially if they have never even seen the old one yet.

ToTBellHop

The problem with DHS is more that they went entertainment-heavy and have since allowed the major shows to sit for decades. Unless it is Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, you can't do that.

Meanwhile, Disneyland regularly updates entertainment. DHS entertainment has stagnated even by Disney standards.

Goofyernmost

The problem with DHS is more that they went entertainment-heavy and have since allowed the major shows to sit for decades. Unless it is Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, you can't do that.

Meanwhile, Disneyland regularly updates entertainment. DHS entertainment has stagnated even by Disney standards.
Why can't you? How often does one see the Phantom of the Opera in their lifetime. As long as people keep coming and theaters are being filled up... there is no reason to change anything. It is in demand.

Goofyernmost

Aren't you the guy that wants to keep Tomorrowland Speedway?
If you're talking to me... yes I am. But, for an entirely different reason. I remember how important it was for my kids when they were little. How they talked about it endlessly among themselves and their friends and with us. I also get so tired of listening to adults complain endlessly about the noise and smell and particularly the pollution considering the footprint they all left just getting to WDW. I resent alleged "grown ups" being so self involved that they want to deny that experience to kids because of their petty little hypocritical gripes. I have said upgrade to electric with sound affects more times then I care to think about, but, no... some will not be happy until it is something with a high thrill factor that kids cannot participate in. That, as far as I can tell will always be my stand on that situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom