News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

TabulaRasa

I just don't understand the logic of turning this into a Mickey Mouse attraction, with ONE IP. Mickey already sells merchandise without needing an attraction. Since Disney is all about synergy at the moment, and looking to profit off of any expansion they put into the parks, one would think that they would just refresh the Great Movie Ride with multiple "relevant" IPs. Keep Mary Poppins, Indy, and Wizard of Oz, and then add in Zootopia, Guardians of the Galaxy, Inside Out, and other franchises not represented in the parks, and it would provide them a reason to push multiple merchandise and promote synergy for multiple films. The Great Movie Ride would be the perfect opportunity to do something like this.

Tavernacle12

I just don't understand the logic of turning this into a Mickey Mouse attraction, with ONE IP. Mickey already sells merchandise without needing an attraction. Since Disney is all about synergy at the moment, and looking to profit off of any expansion they put into the parks, one would think that they would just refresh the Great Movie Ride with multiple "relevant" IPs. Keep Mary Poppins, Indy, and Wizard of Oz, and then add in Zootopia, Guardians of the Galaxy, Inside Out, and other franchises not represented in the parks, and it would provide them a reason to push multiple merchandise and promote synergy for multiple films. The Great Movie Ride would be the perfect opportunity to do something like this.

As far as I know no insider has said exactly what the Mickey ride will be, and it's possible we'd get Indy or Poppins segments but with Mickey added. I assume it'll just be shorts and Fantasia in the new ride, though. They also don't sell much Indy or Mary Poppins things based on the attraction that already exists, and I don't think adding more IP would improve that necessarily.

Obviously, updating GMR and putting a Mickey ride in Launch Bay would be the ideal version of events, but I assume they figure a whole new ride is worth more than moving more merch with an older one.

bcoachable

How does the attraction count increase? We lost Lights Motors, jack sparrow, backlot tour. We're gaining one. But people count it differently I guess. Either way it's still a poor amount. You could say the two SW rides replace Motors and Backlot and one of the TSL rides replaced Jack. An attraction is an attraction to me regardless of whether you rode it or sat for it or walked through it.

I am NOT going to allow you to call the Jack Sparrow thing a ride.... No way that counts :)

Biff215

I just feel like people ignore the fact it has all of those shows because they don't want to see them anymore. A first timer friend is going this summer and she doesn't know how she is going to get everything she wants to do there done in one day.
Many guests, first timer or not, will ignore the shows. Some people just come for the rides, especially those with children. Shows are great people eaters that fill out the experience, but they shouldn't be the main focus. DHS has moved beyond just being a studio, so the attraction offering needs to reflect that. And updating the shows that are offered should be a priority, not an afterthought. This would encourage repeat guests to come back and give marketing something to promote, even to first timers.

wdwfan4ver

We still have to remind ourselves that people that visit there that often are a huge minority. Believe this or not, some people can go just once in their lifetime and be OK with that and never feel slighted at all. And there are still millions and millions of people in the world and even in the states that have never seen it once. It is only old to those of us that have obsessed about the place and feel the need to go again and again and again. We are not the majority, by even a close margin. In other words, we don't pay the bills. We contribute a great deal to the bonus account, but, we do not support it. The fact that some of it is getting old, is really just our problem, it is not a problem for them.
Disney has theme parks outside of WDW, but don't keep live day shows going for over 25 plus years at those parks unlike DHS that has . The live shows I'm talking about is stuff that has no AA's and you can't say Enchanted Tiki Room as an example

Disney got a rid of the Aladdin Musical from Disney California Adventure despite being there only from January 2003 to January of 2016. All you are doing giving an excuse for Disney as why DHS should be treated differently. While shows always be a part of Disney theme parks, Disney changed the day time live shows without AA's so often because they don't want them to get stale for the first time guest or for a new games.

Goofyernmost

The amount of guests who are truly once-in-a-lifetime guests is much smaller than you seem to think, but TDO thanks you for excusing their lack of will to replace shows that are pushing 30 years old.
I'm not defending anything other than reality. Would it be good, sure it would, however, it is only the few that really care and at some point in time it might be a good idea to tone down our own self-aggrandizing that we are the majority and that this is the best way to run their business. It is completely self centered to think that this is an issue. It's like changing the Sound of Music or The Wizard of Oz because we have seen it a million times.

Goofyernmost

Disney has theme parks outside of WDW, but don't keep live day shows going for over 25 plus years at those parks unlike DHS that has . The live shows I'm talking about is stuff that has no AA's and you can't say Enchanted Tiki Room as an example

Disney got a rid of the Aladdin Musical from Disney California Adventure despite being there only from January 2003 to January of 2016. All you are doing giving an excuse for Disney as why DHS should be treated differently. While shows always be a part of Disney theme parks, Disney changed the day time live shows without AA's so often because they don't want them to get stale for the first time guest or for a new games.
As soon as someone tells me why I have any say or any ability to alter their way of doing things. They must know that not changing them has cost them nothing, why can't you accept that?

FigmentJedi

As far as I know no insider has said exactly what the Mickey ride will be, and it's possible we'd get Indy or Poppins segments but with Mickey added. I assume it'll just be shorts and Fantasia in the new ride, though. They also don't sell much Indy or Mary Poppins things based on the attraction that already exists, and I don't think adding more IP would improve that necessarily.

Obviously, updating GMR and putting a Mickey ride in Launch Bay would be the ideal version of events, but I assume they figure a whole new ride is worth more than moving more merch with an older one.
They can still bill it as "The New Great Movie Ride" or some crap like that and market it as a mostly new attraction.

I mean, it worked for the Jack Sparrow'd Pirates.

lazyboy97o

I'm not defending anything other than reality. Would it be good, sure it would, however, it is only the few that really care and at some point in time it might be a good idea to tone down our own self-aggrandizing that we are the majority and that this is the best way to run their business. It is completely self centered to think that this is an issue. It's like changing the Sound of Music or The Wizard of Oz because we have seen it a million times.
Guest satisfaction scores with the park are falling. That is reality.

Goofyernmost

Guest satisfaction scores with the park are falling. That is reality.
Sure, but, that isn't necessarily what the problem is. It may have a factor but the fact the Beauty and the Beast has been there for a gazillion years isn't the driving force. I'm also curious as to where those scores are coming from and how they are reality. The total numbers at the parks seem to defy that theory, but, who know maybe they have dropped. If I were a betting man, I'd say that it is probably the lack of "Rides" that is what is upsetting people not the shows.

Herbie

I can't help but remember the Spirit of Pocahontas and the Hunchback show.. such relics of the past that it would be nice to see them again, admittedly, just for the fresh-ness and something else to do and the fact they're underutilized properties now. (Hard to believe DHS once had four film-stage adaptions). But some things are not sacred, and how they could justify changing/replacing those and leaving Beauty and Mermaid running is beyond me. Maybe because those two IPs didn't have a presence elsewhere at the time? Idk. Just rambling here.

Biff215

It's certainly not helping DHS retain or attract visitors. WDW had the perfect opportunity to freshen up the entertainment offerings before the construction kicked into gear. They have added a few things which is great, but keeping 25-30 year old shows is bad business. Just because guests fill the seats doesn't necessarily mean they're satisfied, in some cases they're simply looking for things to do.

Herbie

Just because guests fill the seats doesn't necessarily mean they're satisfied, in some cases they're simply looking for things to do.

Especially in DHS' case. The first time I went, my sister (not as big of fan as I) was telling me, "You know this park better than me, what is there to do?" Clearly dissatisfied. Another friend of mine who works at Disney Springs called the park "trash." :/

SteamboatJoe

Aw, the park lacks, but the front half is really nice. I'd never call it "trash" :(

I completely agree. I had a great time when I was there last month.Though I am only there every couple of years so I don't get quite as fatigued with the attractions and shows as those here who attend more regularly. I hope whatever long-term plans they have don't ruin the Hollywood that never was and always will be design aesthetic and vibe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom