Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figment Newton

Overlay Rock "N" Roller Coaster with GOTG. It's that simple.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall RRC getting an update in recent memory.
I was just thinking the same thing, possibly a rare chance for a new ride to fit better within the park's theming than current/old ride. DHS is now seemingly focusing more on immersive (and IP) worlds like GOTG and less on production of media like music and specifically Aerosmith. GOTG in DHS is far better fit than the same in Epcot and probably better than RRC in future DHS.

lazyboy97o

I feel like Imagineering wants to put it off until the Short Attention Span riddled execs forget about Inside Out and they have a better position to pitch Dreamfinder and Figment from again.
Attractions are not just developed based on Walt Disney Imagineering proposals. Others can, and often do, make a request/demand.

HMF

I feel like Imagineering wants to put it off until the Short Attention Span riddled execs forget about Inside Out and they have a better position to pitch Dreamfinder and Figment from again.
I just hope Energy has been delayed for the same reason.

MerlinTheGoat

In my opinion, better than now. It won't be 1982. It'll be its own self. That's better than a hodgepodge like we have now.
Being better or worse than now still depends on whether Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land and (on the WS side) American Adventure have a place in this supposed EPCOT v3 project. These remaining greats from 82 must at least exist in a form still recognizable and respectful to their originals. No IP overlays, no gutting and replacement (like Test Track, Mission SPACE or Time Racers), and no perma closure like WoL.

The rest of the park needs major help. And some respectful refurbs and plussing could even be welcome for the three above attractions IF they can do it right (SSE 94 is how to do it right). But we've lost too much of the original park as it is, I don't want anything to do with this "Epcot v3" project if those three classics (at the very least) aren't still a part of it.

It sounds like Universe of Energy has no future. The Ellen Overlay really ruined the original's quality of course, but losing those fantastic dinosaur scenes will still be heartbreaking. My only hope is these scenes and figures will have a home elsewhere in WDW. Like a gutting and replacement of C&H's Dinorama. But as for the UoE itself, none of the rumors sound as good as even Ellen's crappy version of the ride, let alone the original.

MerlinTheGoat

Spirit's already been suggesting that seems to be the plan.
Difficult to discern, but would be welcome. @WDW1974 can correct me if I misread, but here's the rundown from what I gathered he thinks is "likely" to happen-

- Chester & Hester's Dinorama (carnival) considered to be demolished
- The replacement is based on a never built concept for another park
- This resurrected concept will have updated effects and "old friends"

Old friends makes me think it's the dinosaur figures from UoE. But I can't recall any unbuilt dinosaur-related concepts off the top of my head besides the Excavator coaster. And that was a "wooden" coaster through a dinosaur dig area, no "live" dinos like the UoE animatronics. He said the concept was intended for another park anyways, any ideas what he means? Guess he could be referring to a concept that isn't known to the public though.

EDIT- I did manage to find an old concept from 1976 called Voyage Through Time originally intended for the Discovery Bay expansion that was never built. This was apparently a boat ride (like POTC but no drops) that would travel through different prehistoric eras and included a dinosaur portion. Could this be what Spirit meant?

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Difficult to discern, but would be welcome. @WDW1974 can correct me if I misread, but here's the rundown from what I gathered he thinks is "likely" to happen-

- Chester & Hester's Dinorama (carnival) considered to be demolished
- The replacement is based on a never built concept for another park
- This resurrected concept will have updated effects and "old friends"

Old friends makes me think it's the dinosaur figures from UoE. But I can't recall any unbuilt dinosaur-related concepts off the top of my head besides the Excavator coaster. And that was a "wooden" coaster through a dinosaur dig area, no "live" dinos like the UoE animatronics. He said the concept was intended for another park anyways, any ideas what he means? Guess he could be referring to a concept that isn't known to the public though.
Hong Kong Disneyland had a version of Excavator featuring living dinosaurs in early plans and the Discovery Bay concept developed for Disneyland would have featured a boat ride with the Magic Skyway/Primeval World dinosaur figures.

MerlinTheGoat

Hong Kong Disneyland had a version of Excavator featuring living dinosaurs in early plans and the Discovery Bay concept developed for Disneyland would have featured a boat ride with the Magic Skyway/Primeval World dinosaur figures.
Ah thanks. And I just found the Discovery Bay concept myself. I actually hope that could be what they're considering. A boat ride travelling through prehistoric eras sound like it would be my sort of thing, would be a fantastic replacement for this area too. I've considered this idea myself, not realizing it had actually been a real concept at one point.

geekza

I'm not so sure that an Inside Out attraction in Imagination is a terrible idea if the suits are adamant that Epcot include more IP-related attractions if it is well-designed. That's a pretty substantial "if." Look, I experienced EPCOT Center in 1983 and fell in love with Journey Into Imagination, but we're never going to get our beloved Imagination '82 attraction back. A good chunk of the track and ride system was demolished during the first awful change. However, an Inside Out ride could use ideas from the original attraction, some similar rooms, etc., and even include Figment in a couple of places for us old fogeys. It would certainly be better than what is there now. Well, not certainly, but it has potential.

I'm not against using IP in the park as long as the characters are in service to the original ideas behind Future World and aren't simply there to exploit the characters. For example, I think the Frozen ride is not a good fit because it has nothing to do with Norway. Wreck-It Ralph characters or Tron (hey, let me dream) could be used in an attraction about the history of computers and their evolution from academia to space travel to video games and the Internet. You keep the "edutainment" aspect that was great about EPCOT Center and still feature the characters to sell plushies and satisfy the people who just want to see things they recognize from the movies. It could work. It helps the modern Epcot keep its distinct identity and broaden its appeal at the same time. Stripping the park completely of its initial mission just turns it into a lame catch-all. I know that Iger doesn't seem to give a rat's patootie about quality and consistency. Even though he will be leaving in the next few years, his replacement will likely be hand-picked by him and have a similar view. You never know, though. I have to remain hopeful that the parks, though they will never be the amazing place I knew as a child, can experience a renaissance and return to a time when quality was the rule, not an accidental byproduct of an expansion or replacement of an older attraction in the name of commerce.

geekza

Inside Out is a terrible idea for Imagination. It is not a terrible idea for Wonders of Life however.

I don't know that we'll ever see Wonders of Life come back in any form. None of the attractions in the original iteration kept the public's interest strong enough to survive. I do agree that if they were to try and bring back the pavilion, Inside Out could fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom