Southwest at Thanksgiving

MickeyMomV

Original Poster
Anybody have any experience with Southwest Pricing at Thanksgiving? We have our trip scheduled from 11/20 to 11/27. Flights out are fine but coming back they are only listing Business Select and Anytime rates, No Wanna Get Away. Business Select and Anytime run about $450 per person for the way back and that is just crazy! Its only $174 going out per person. We thought coming back on a Monday after the holiday would be better but I'm not so sure.

rob0519

Not surprising. It's Thanksgiving. They only allocate so many seats to the Wanna Get Away promotions and at the holidays, those seats go fast. You'll see the same type of pricing on other airlines as well.

rob0519

Anybody have any experience with Southwest Pricing at Thanksgiving? We have our trip scheduled from 11/20 to 11/27. Flights out are fine but coming back they are only listing Business Select and Anytime rates, No Wanna Get Away. Business Select and Anytime run about $450 per person for the way back and that is just crazy! Its only $174 going out per person. We thought coming back on a Monday after the holiday would be better but I'm not so sure.

You may want to look at returning on Southwest out of Tampa. It may be cheaper than Orlando. It's only two hours away and might save you money even with the cost of a rental car.

MickeyMomV

Original Poster
I just checked and Tampa is running within a couple of dollars of Orlando. Switching from a Sunday or Monday return to a Wednesday return saves us $1000 in flight costs for a family of 3! We will have to do some juggling and hope things can shift easily.

dreamfinder

Everyone tries to shift their return to save a few bucks. And remember, on Monday not only will you get other people on vacation trying to avoid the higher rates over the weekend, but you also get business travelers heading out on trips after being home for the weekend. Not sure when those dates went up for sale, but they probablly sold out of the Wanna Get Away fares pretty darn quick.

MickeyMomV

Original Poster
Not sure when those dates went up for sale, but they probablly sold out of the Wanna Get Away fares pretty darn quick.
We have been checking daily and when they released the dates the "Wanna Get Away" fares never posted for either day. :( Might give it a couple of more weeks to see if they post otherwise we will have to give serious consideration to shifting. If it wasn't for the DS being in Jr High we wouldn't care. We would just move it around. We are trying to keep him out of school for the shortest amount of time as possible.

monykalyn

I just checked and Tampa is running within a couple of dollars of Orlando. Switching from a Sunday or Monday return to a Wednesday return saves us $1000 in flight costs for a family of 3! We will have to do some juggling and hope things can shift easily.
Same problem here. Condo from 11/19-11/26, but prices coming home on the 26th:eek: by moving to wed we save nearly over $300/pp (family of 4)-course that means paying for accommodations for 3 extra nights/food etc. Oh and there is a MVMCP in there too:p. We don't have the SW CC but seriously thinking of it with the 60.000 point offer. I can easily meet the requirements with my work travel!

MickeyMomV

Original Poster
Finally got tired of watching prices only to have them slowly go up. Changed vacation dates to the 22nd to the 29th, added an extra day at the park and still saved $500+! Only draw back is the DS will miss a total of 3 days of Jr High.

Rob562

We're almost in the same boat. Our trip ends the 19th, which is the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Flight prices have been astronomical.

-Rob

monykalyn

Allegiant for us isn't any better (we'd rent a car either way as we stay offsite). I'm pretty sure we will be driving. DH is usually adamant against driving (likes having a car there though) but when I told him flight prices he even said we'd be driving. Unless frontier comes out with an amazing sale we will be having a 16 road trip each way. Still want to do Christmas party though that means kids miss that Monday after holiday (possibly Tuesday too depending on how far we get coming back Monday)

ninjaprincesst

We booked our southwest flights returning on the 24th of November for decent fares, however I also booked them at 5:00am on May 18yh the day the fares were released, and noticed they had gone up quite a bit just by the afternoon of the 18th, and the cheapest fares were sold out in a matter of days.

MickeyMomV

Original Poster
We booked our southwest flights returning on the 24th of November for decent fares, however I also booked them at 5:00am on May 18yh the day the fares were released, and noticed they had gone up quite a bit just by the afternoon of the 18th, and the cheapest fares were sold out in a matter of days.
I think we notice the afternoon of the 18th that they were posted. The trip down on the 20th was ok but the "wanna get away" for the 25th - 27th was blank until just recently. And even now it only has 1 or 2 flights at higher prices and odd time. .

MickeyMomV

Original Poster
Allegiant for us isn't any better (we'd rent a car either way as we stay offsite). I'm pretty sure we will be driving. DH is usually adamant against driving (likes having a car there though) but when I told him flight prices he even said we'd be driving. Unless frontier comes out with an amazing sale we will be having a 16 road trip each way. Still want to do Christmas party though that means kids miss that Monday after holiday (possibly Tuesday too depending on how far we get coming back Monday)
If we weren't able to change days we would have drove even though we have said we will never drive it again. Something about $2000+ In flight for 3 people makes you rethink thinks. Coming from MI it would have been about 18 hours......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom