Space Mountain Finally Normal Again This Summer

180º

Original Poster
I wonder if someday they'll revisit the original dome projections and asteroid lighting that was planned and eventually abandoned for 2005. Even in between Ghost Galaxy's first year and Hyperspace Mountain you can see a major improvement in the projections. In 2009, the projections were dim and there was a very noticeable "halo" effect that made each projection look like a spotlight. Now, the projections are vibrant, clear, and there is remarkably no halo effect. They don't even cause a lot of light pollution, which is impressive.

I would like to hear the return of some sound effects that have been lost since 2006, and some more that have been lost since then.
Compare the first lift and strobe tunnel in this video (ride starts at 5:05):

To how the ride appeared last time we saw it:

The crackle at the top of Lift 1 was lost in 2006 after Rockin' Space Mountain, never to be heard again. The strobe tunnel had layers of sound effects that were gradually lost over the years, and as you can hear in the 2015 video, the off-board sound effects are completely gone (the remaining ascending tones are in the on-board track). And is it too much to ask for them to finally replace all the bulbs in the blue tunnel? I don't much care for the lame, slow wipe effect they settled for to draw attention away from the burnt out bulbs. The original programming was a very fast, row-alternating, staggered pattern that was very effective when the tunnel was firing on all cylinders. I'd also like to point out that the original programming only lit up the tunnel as far as the riders could see it, so that when the RV turned the corner, the portion of the tunnel behind it, which the next rocket can see when approaching Lift 1, is dark. In the 2015 video, you can clearly see the blue lights before you reach the scene. Kinda ruins the surprise and contrast.

For gosh sakes, all I want is for them to fix a couple of speakers and light bulbs.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I wonder if someday they'll revisit the original dome projections and asteroid lighting that was planned and eventually abandoned for 2005. Even in between Ghost Galaxy's first year and Hyperspace Mountain you can see a major improvement in the projections. In 2009, the projections were dim and there was a very noticeable "halo" effect that made each projection look like a spotlight. Now, the projections are vibrant, clear, and there is remarkably no halo effect. They don't even cause a lot of light pollution, which is impressive.

I would like to hear the return of some sound effects that have been lost since 2006, and some more that have been lost since then.
Compare the first lift and strobe tunnel in this video (ride starts at 5:05):

To how the ride appeared last time we saw it:

The crackle at the top of Lift 1 was lost in 2006 after Rockin' Space Mountain, never to be heard again. The strobe tunnel had layers of sound effects that were gradually lost over the years, and as you can hear in the 2015 video, the off-board sound effects are completely gone (the remaining ascending tones are in the on-board track). And is it too much to ask for them to finally replace all the bulbs in the blue tunnel? I don't much care for the lame, slow wipe effect they settled for to draw attention away from the burnt out bulbs. The original programming was a very fast, row-alternating, staggered pattern that was very effective when the tunnel was firing on all cylinders. I'd also like to point out that the original programming only lit up the tunnel as far as the riders could see it, so that when the RV turned the corner, the portion of the tunnel behind it, which the next rocket can see when approaching Lift 1, is dark. In the 2015 video, you can clearly see the blue lights before you reach the scene. Kinda ruins the surprise and contrast.

For gosh sakes, all I want is for them to fix a couple of speakers and light bulbs.

I agree. It looks like it is in bad shape. Maybe they will actually take the time to fix things and return it to its 2006 show.

mickEblu

I want to hear that other worldly space sound that you used to be able to hear in the tunnels leading up the load area? Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can mimic the sound perfectly but can't quite describe it. Is it gone or do I not hear it anymore because I always FP?

Last edited:

mickEblu

Underneath the dialogue, is that the one?

It sounds like it could be part of this sound track but I didn't hear it. The sound was like an echo that would get louder and faster. It only lasted about 8 seconds and would repeat over an over in the tunnels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom