Streets of America Development Watch (no longer DEMO)

rocketraccoon

I'm never sure if I should post these in this thread or the Muppets Courtyard thread.

Going through photos from my trip to HS yesterday. A metal awning has been put up at the end of the remaining SoA facades at the old Chevrolet building. I wonder what that'll end up being. Some sort of shop, maybe?

XeFS4vo.jpg

Plus some pics.

CtGmcxR.jpg

nTnbUa0.jpg

tSX7Dff.jpg

One big thing of note is that the Writer's Shop has no walls anymore.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm never sure if I should post these in this thread or the Muppets Courtyard thread.

Going through photos from my trip to HS yesterday. A metal awning has been put up at the end of the remaining SoA facades at the old Chevrolet building. I wonder what that'll end up being. Some sort of shop, maybe?

XeFS4vo.jpg

That awning is probably decorative. I don't think there is enough room behind the façade for a shop.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Now I made myself sad knowing WDW no longer does parades like this at HS (Even if they aren't as common as they used to) imagine how a Zootopia parade would had been like if they still done this? Also what ever happened to WDW putting that much effort into parades like this?

Iger and his infernal share buyback program, Disney's customer since Iger took the helm is Wall St as such we the guest no longer count in Disneys calculus except as sources of funding

Disney will buy back enough shares this year alone to build 1 3/4 SDL's yet disney continues the cutbacks at wdw at an accelerated pace

rocketraccoon

That awning is probably decorative. I don't think there is enough room behind the façade for a shop.
I think it could work. The shop/shops can be built out behind the facade without much fuss.

Realistically you could fit this into the space without knocking down anything major:
beSagRD.jpg

Could put a few stores in there honestly. Not huge ones, but still.

NiarrNDisney

I think it could work. The shop/shops can be built out behind the facade without much fuss.

Realistically you could fit this into the space without knocking down anything major:
beSagRD.jpg

Honestly I hope they would make use of the facades instead of just leaving them there unused! Now that SoA is no longer what purpose does the three "buildings" serve beside scenery? Might as well put them and the space behind them to good use, even if its only for a puppet show much like the Great moments in History in Liberty Square.

NiarrNDisney

They will block the view of the rear of Sci Fi, Commissary and GMR from the MV courtyard.

Understandable but as I said why not put them to more use and have a small shop, QS or M&G? Though the Mouse doesn't always make the most rational choices so I guess there's no point in mentioning it!

roj2323

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 1.26.07 AM.png

In this photo (thanks bioreconstruct) There's a few things to see.

• The facade of the coffee shop has been stripped back to it's studs.
  • There's a staircase in the center of the photo (could be just for the scaffolding however)
  • There's a big ring of colored concrete which could be for a planter or water feature.
  • There's several foundation piers that are 12-18 inches square. These could be for any number of things but I'd bet on this area becoming a seating area like a bistro/cafe (Think Starring rolls cafe relocated) so it's probably for brick built columns to delineate the space from the open pathway beyond
  • There's a long curved concrete form (far right of construction area) this is probably the start of a raised planter box similar to the other ones around Sci Fi and ABC commissary

roj2323

beSagRD.jpg

This completely ignores the operational uses of the area. The top left peak of red points to one of the main cast break areas in the park which needs to remain accessible. Just below and to the left of that is the roll off trash compactor and cardboard bailer for Scifi and ABC commissary. At the center of the photo is merchandise / dry good storage for 3 different areas. Things like those souvenir cups you buy for way too much money as well as formerly all the storage for the coffee/book shop was in there. The area also serves as one just a few cast smoking areas (bottom Left). The thing is they could convert about half of this to actual shop space (the right half starting at about the center of the photo) but they won't, simply because they don't need to.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
  • There's a long curved concrete form (far right of construction area) this is probably the start of a raised planter box similar to the other ones around Sci Fi and ABC commissary
Yep. This will be a landscaped area with a curved edge to separate the new Writers Stop patio to the main pathway.

The main pathway with follow the curve of the former and the orange fence that edges into it. Then it'll run in a straight line all the way past the existing facade into the SWL entrance tunnel.

mousekedoc

Premium Member
Marn, if ST is going away, leaving everything open from MV onwards, is there even a hint or thought as to what may go into that Indiana Jones, ST area? Seems like a lot of "dead space". Thanks for any thoughts.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Marn, if ST is going away, leaving everything open from MV onwards, is there even a hint or thought as to what may go into that Indiana Jones, ST area? Seems like a lot of "dead space". Thanks for any thoughts.
ST as a theme will go away. The ride facility should remain and be repurposed.

Anything around Indy has gone quiet since SWL was moved.

Movielover

Big fan of the stunt show and Indy so this is great for me. Although I wouldn't mind seeing them update the show with new stunts. Maybe since DHS is moving away from the behind-the-scenes aspect they could redo the show to be a complete story. Add a couple new show scenes while re-purposing the old ones.

HauntedMansionFLA

Is that a good or bad thing or don't know? Wasn't the original plan for SWL was to take over that area and build outwards toward the parking lot? So much has changed in the DHS project it's hard to keep track of what's what. I'm a big Indiana Jones fan too. It brings a smile to my face when they hit the first notes to the Indy theme music.

Kman101

Big fan of the stunt show and Indy so this is great for me. Although I wouldn't mind seeing them update the show with new stunts. Maybe since DHS is moving away from the behind-the-scenes aspect they could redo the show to be a complete story. Add a couple new show scenes while re-purposing the old ones.

I wish they'd do this. I love the Stunt Show but it could be retooled and still work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom