Planning a Shanghai and Hong Kong Disney trip!

Juujuugurl

Original Poster
I've seen a few of these in the forum, but felt bad adding a post about MY trip on someone else's! It's like, "Oh, that's nice BUT LOOK AT ME AND MY PLANS". haha~

Anyways, I might be going in August to both Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland (I have the full month of August off with my job). For Shanghai, I plan on flying in, going straight to the hotel to either check in or drop my bags off and hang out at Disneytown until check in time (it just depends on what time my plane comes in). I want to stay in the Toy Story Hotel because it looks super cute, not too pricey and I don't trust staying anywhere else in Shanghai (I didn't have a good experience last time and I swore to never go back....until Disneyland opened).

I only plan on doing one day, since there is only one park. The next day I will fly over to Hong Kong, spend two days there eating the amazing food and sightseeing (I've been before, but my boyfriend hasn't), then head to Hong Kong Disney. I don't need to stay in a Disney hotel there, since I know the hostels there are pretty nice.

I'm pretty excited planning it out. I'm going through major Disney withdraws (I was suppose to go to Tokyo Disney two weekends ago, but plans got interrupted).

Feel free to share pictures, stories and experiences from either of these parks!

GiveMeTheMusic

I'd recommend taking 2 days for SDL. HKDL can be easily conquered in 1 day, but to really see everything SDL offers you'll need 2, especially if it's remotely crowded. Be there an hour before park opening, as the park opens 20-30 minutes before its actual opening time regularly. Soaring (if you do it) and Roaring Rapids should be your first hits, via FP or otherwise, and then the ropes course in Adventure Isle. Once you've done those, you can comfortably branch out to the rest of the park.

Juujuugurl

Original Poster
I'd recommend taking 2 days for SDL. HKDL can be easily conquered in 1 day, but to really see everything SDL offers you'll need 2, especially if it's remotely crowded. Be there an hour before park opening, as the park opens 20-30 minutes before its actual opening time regularly. Soaring (if you do it) and Roaring Rapids should be your first hits, via FP or otherwise, and then the ropes course in Adventure Isle. Once you've done those, you can comfortably branch out to the rest of the park.

Thank you so much for the advice! I was hoping for advice and tips like this! Have any recommendations when it comes to places to eat, snacks, or shops?

GiveMeTheMusic

Thank you so much for the advice! I was hoping for advice and tips like this! Have any recommendations when it comes to places to eat, snacks, or shops?

I found all the food at SDL to be very good, but overpriced. Barbossa's Bounty is good (especially if you like squid) as are the Mickey-shaped pizzas at Pinocchio Village Haus. Wandering Moon Teahouse is a must as well, just to see the inside - it's stunning. Merlin's snack kiosk in Fantasyland sells Mickey and Minnie bao buns that are cute and very tasty.

Juujuugurl

Original Poster
I found all the food at SDL to be very good, but overpriced. Barbossa's Bounty is good (especially if you like squid) as are the Mickey-shaped pizzas at Pinocchio Village Haus. Wandering Moon Teahouse is a must as well, just to see the inside - it's stunning. Merlin's snack kiosk in Fantasyland sells Mickey and Minnie bao buns that are cute and very tasty.

I can't thank you enough!! <3

david10225

Thank you for starting this thread. I've been thinking of doing this same trip in the fall. Just waiting for some saver seats to appear do I can do it with miles.

Absimilliard

Two days in Shanghai: did you look at booking your plane tickets with a long layover or another way to take advantage of no visa transit? It is one thing I would suggest to avoid spending over 100 usd for a visa.

Juujuugurl

Original Poster
Two days in Shanghai: did you look at booking your plane tickets with a long layover or another way to take advantage of no visa transit? It is one thing I would suggest to avoid spending over 100 usd for a visa.

I am now taking two days for Shanghai Disney. Also, I've already looked into the visa stuff. I'm planning on going to Hong Kong Disney as well, so I will be flying to there after Shanghai.

Absimilliard

I am now taking two days for Shanghai Disney. Also, I've already looked into the visa stuff. I'm planning on going to Hong Kong Disney as well, so I will be flying to there after Shanghai.

Excellent then. The Visa cost can be a little much for a short trip when you can only get the short term one.

I don't have the issue as canadians can get 10 years visas to China. I will be going for SDL specifically in October and the merchandise line for Tron Lightcycles looks amazing.

Juujuugurl

Original Poster
Well, my friends and I have booked the hotel for Shanghai Disney! We are staying in the Toy Story Hotel! Gah, it looks so cute and I can't wait!
shanghaidisneyland11.jpg

We have to wait until July to book the park tickets though, and along with that we will reserve dinner at the Royal Banquet! The Royal Banquet looks delicious and you can meet Mickey and friends in their Royal Attire!

Last edited:

Juujuugurl

Original Poster
Excellent then. The Visa cost can be a little much for a short trip when you can only get the short term one.

I don't have the issue as canadians can get 10 years visas to China. I will be going for SDL specifically in October and the merchandise line for Tron Lightcycles looks amazing.
I heard the end of October is the best time to go to Shanghai Disney! And I am super interested in the Tron Minnie Ears XD
s-l400.jpg

Bartattack

Interesting read and tips. We have also booked a trip to hong kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland this august. I had originally booked Disney's Hollywood Hotel at HKDL, but I was able to switch to the just opened Explorer's Lodge. Really looking forward to visiting Shanghai Disneyland.

Juujuugurl

Original Poster
Interesting read and tips. We have also booked a trip to hong kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland this august. I had originally booked Disney's Hollywood Hotel at HKDL, but I was able to switch to the just opened Explorer's Lodge. Really looking forward to visiting Shanghai Disneyland.

Oh, I hope you enjoy the Explorer's Lodge! It looked amazing, but couldn't afford to stay in Disney hotels for both parks. Chose Shanghai Disney, because 1. TOY STORY and 2. I don't feel comfortable getting an AirBNB or hostel in Shanghai.

What are you most excited for in each park? For me, I am most excited for the Toy Story land and Mickey and the Wondrous Book show. At Shanghai I am definitely looking forward to Tron and Pirates of the Caribbean. Plus the Royal Banquet Dinner!

GiveMeTheMusic

Good call! Explorers Lodge will have much nicer rooms than Hollywood, which is due for a refurb.

Just in case you don't know, by staying in an HKDL's Disney Hotels:
1. You can enjoy the facilities of ALL THREE hotels
2. You will get 2 priority pass for attractions and 1 priority pass for the "Festival of Lion King" show

For the attraction priority pass, it works exactly like a fast pass. You just show it to a cast member at the entrance of that ride, and he/she will lead you through another walkway and then get straight onto the ride. Here's the list of attractions that accept priority pass:
1. Hyperspace Mountain
2. Iron Man Experience
3. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
* These three attractions already have the Disney FastPass system. So I do not advise you to waste your priority pass on them.
Instead, you should utilise the pass on attractions that do not have a FP machine:
4. Mystic Manor
5. Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Minecarts
6. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
7. Toy Soldier Parachute Drop
8. Slinky Dog Spin
9. RC Racer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom