Planning February 2018 trip...

paul436

Original Poster
I'm going down to WDW the last weekend of February 2018 for the Princess Half Marathon. We hope to stay 4 nights (Friday - Monday) at one of these 4 resorts:
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Wilderness Lodge
Yacht or Beach Club

There will be 4 adults staying in the room. Which one do you think will be the cheapest at that time of year? And how much do you think it might be (we would take Standard/least expensive rooms)?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think AKL will be your cheapest bet, with rack rates around 400, followed by WL. YC/BC rack rates are usually around 500. It could depend on what kind of room discounts come out though, but generally, AKL will be the cheaper deluxe.
To add to this, a lot of people turn their noses up at AKL standard view rooms (not me). If you're "savanna view or bust," AKL could actually become the most expensive option of the three.

@paul436 will you have a car? I believe Disney designates certain resorts as "race resorts." Not all of them offer the early morning bus you might need on race day.

belledream

To add to this, a lot of people turn their noses up at AKL standard view rooms (not me). If you're "savanna view or bust," AKL could actually become the most expensive option of the three.

@paul436 will you have a car? I believe Disney designates certain resorts as "race resorts." Not all of them offer the early morning bus you might need on race day.
Very true. There's much more to a room than your view. Resorts are experiences for sure.

Also good point about transportation. AKL is furthest from MK (which likely contributes to the lower cost) so it may make sense to stay at WL even if you end up having to pay a little more.

paul436

Original Poster

Standard View Room is fine for us. I don't depend upon experiencing the resort by looking out the window (although Savannah View wouldn't be bad). We like walking around.

I don't have a car. I will have to look into transportation to the race.

ColinDoesDisney

Okay what i did was we planned months ago and didn't got tickets or anything or hotel we where about to stay at shades of green but i was stressing and didn't know what to do you can't use magic bands the transportation then i looked online and found animal kingdom lodge and i heard it's one of the best of property and worried because it was a lot of money for a night but it was worth it so i can book ahead Because i'll be going in 33 days so yeah But I think Animal kingdom would be the best idk never stayed there going to stay there It depends on parks and I heard great things about wilderness lodge to but more AKL and there are way more cheaper options than these that are great to but what i would done is check floor plans and how big here's another great option Art of anamation it's cheaper big rooms suites it's in the value resort sides i stayed there once a long time ago little after opening of its nice big and affordable so what ever works for your family

wdwmamamouse

WL ...great resort with watercraft for your transportation...AKL is challenging because of transportation distance...(isn't this race in the MK?)

wdwmamamouse

WL is less expensive than BC/Yacht ---rack rate this past year around that time was in the neighborhood $470..Yacht and Beach were $570..hopefully you'd be able to snag a room discount of 30% --no guarantees on that tho. The Yacht and Beach would be easier for sure but more expensive--here is a link to the rack rates this year:

https://www.mousesavers.com/2017-disney-world-room-rates-season-dates/

just click on each resort name to see their rates-

hope this helps!

BigRedDad

If it 4 per room, then DVC would be tough unless 2 are OK on the sofa bed or a blow up mattress. That is a tough weekend. Mardi Gras next year is the week before President's weekend. That week is going to be insane. Daytona 500 is on the 18th, Presidents day on the 19th.

I think that last weekend will actually be very good. It is after the big weekends and before Spring Break.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If it 4 per room, then DVC would be tough unless 2 are OK on the sofa bed or a blow up mattress. That is a tough weekend. Mardi Gras next year is the week before President's weekend. That week is going to be insane. Daytona 500 is on the 18th, Presidents day on the 19th.

I think that last weekend will actually be very good. It is after the big weekends and before Spring Break.
Mardi Gras being a big deal is a very regional thing. Most potential WDW guests don't celebrate it or get time off for it.

BigRedDad

Mardi Gras being a big deal is a very regional thing. Most potential WDW guests don't celebrate it or get time off for it.
Almost the entire state of Louisiana is off work. A ton of them go to Disney World this week. It is like Jersey week in November. Add all of the northern schools on Winter Break at this time and all of FL off for Presidents weekend, that weekend at the back of the week is going to be as bad as Xmas/NYE.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Almost the entire state of Louisiana is off work. A ton of them go to Disney World this week. It is like Jersey week in November. Add all of the northern schools on Winter Break at this time and all of FL off for Presidents weekend, that weekend at the back of the week is going to be as bad as Xmas/NYE.
Five years ago, I'd agree with you. But most of the schools up here aren't getting that winter break in February anymore. It's moved to the Spring. It used to be a full week off in February followed by a long weekend around Easter but that's shifted in recent years.

ETA: Just for kicks, I ran a few major metro school districts. Hartford and Providence have a week in April but not in February. Boston has a week in April and in February. Philadelphia doesn't get either one.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom