Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

TP2000

Where on the net are folks finding these early reviews of GOTG:MB? I'd love to read them.

I was wondering that too.

Quick Twitter search...

View attachment 206144

And it appears the "reviews" people are talking about are just stuff like that; vague and rather pointless Tweets from the Tweeter.

There's no proof the Tweeter people have even been on the ride, they are just parroting what they've heard to keep their Tweet followers thinking they are still cool.

I could write a Twitter review for Guardians of the Galaxy too. Here's my review;

OMG just rode Guardians of the Galaxy and it is AMAZING! Kinda made me nauseous but Rocket made me laff! But where's the physical sets? #TP2000 #SoFancy #TheSportCoatMakesTheMan

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So if it doesn't bother you, why make smart alecky comments and complain about some of us being so negative?
I'm just a smart aleck all the time, so why should in here be any different. :cool: In addition, I'm just trying to understand WHY y'all are so negative all the time. I will be the first to admit that I do not like everything that TWDC has done over the last 40 years that I have been going to Disney parks, but there have been loads of things that I have liked as well, and I simply concentrate on those, instead of the negative side. Guess I'm more of a glass half-full type of person, rather than the glass is empty type of people that seem to inhabit the DL threads. Sorry if my being a smart aleck upsets you - as that is not my intent at all.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I was wondering that too.

And it appears the "reviews" people are talking about are just stuff like that; vague and rather pointless Tweets from the Tweeter.

There's no proof the Tweeter people have even been on the ride, they are just parroting what they've heard to keep their Tweet followers thinking they are still cool.

I could write a Twitter review for Guardians of the Galaxy too. Here's my review;

OMG just rode Guardians of the Galaxy and it is AMAZING! Kinda made me nauseous but Rocket made me laff! But where's the physical sets? #TP2000 #SoFancy #TheSportCoatMakesTheMan
that is 100% the trouble with social media. I can post either the most glowing or the harshest "review" of something (yelp comes to mind) and people are most likely going to take me at my word.

In reading some of the other tweets, there was nothing concrete that communicated, "this person definitely rode it!" It's just the hype machine at work and everyone wants a turn in the spotlight.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'm just a smart aleck all the time, so why should in here be any different. :cool: In addition, I'm just trying to understand WHY y'all are so negative all the time. I will be the first to admit that I do not like everything that TWDC has done over the last 40 years that I have been going to Disney parks, but there have been loads of things that I have liked as well, and I simply concentrate on those, instead of the negative side. Guess I'm more of a glass half-full type of person, rather than the glass is empty type of people that seem to inhabit the DL threads. Sorry if my being a smart aleck upsets you - as that is not my intent at all.
Some of us see the glass as being twice as big as it needs to be ;)

dweezil78

You know, I just went and checked. There hasn't been an attraction built in DL that WASN'T IP related since 1979 when BTMRR opened. Not one that I can see. So I think the pendulum swung the IP way a LONG time ago, and y'all just didn't seem to realize it.

The majority before 1979 were also tied to existing IP - and if they weren't, were just generic versions of other IP from the time OR sponsored attractions that served as experiential commercials for brands. Prior to Pirates and HM, there were plenty of movies about pirates and haunted houses. It's not like either were entirely original ideas, they were just very well executed and immersive.

lazyboy97o

The majority before 1979 were also tied to existing IP - and if they weren't, were just generic versions of other IP from the time OR sponsored attractions that served as experiential commercials for brands. Prior to Pirates and HM, there were plenty of movies about pirates and haunted houses. It's not like either were entirely original ideas, they were just very well executed and immersive.
Yes, if you strip the term intellectual property of all meaning, then you have a point.

dweezil78

Yes, if you strip the term intellectual property of all meaning, then you have a point.

Sorry, not really getting what you're trying to say here. I'm not defending projects based on pre-existing IP, just making an observation as to the history of Disney attractions. IP is literally just ownership of a creative concept/idea... it's all IP in the end.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

There is no such thing as an original idea. Everything is recycled.

“There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.”

Mark Twain

For example I've always thought that Treasure Island (1950s Disney Film) was the jumping off point for PotC. In fact there is a section of the film that discusses stashing their treasure in caves.

dweezil78

“There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.”

Mark Twain

For example I've always thought that Treasure Island (1950s Disney Film) was the jumping off point for PotC. In fact there is a section of the film that discusses stashing their treasure in caves.

Totally. I don't necessarily have anything against use of existing IP. I take more issue with either use of live action talent (people age - like Ellen & Bill Nye @ Epcot, characters are represented by different actors in different iterations) OR placing an attraction (existing IP or not) in a place where it doesn't belong. GotG potentially hits on both of those.

Spider-Man at IOA, on the other hand, works well because it is not tied directly to any iteration of the movies but rather it exists on its own -- more closely linked with the actual comics. I'm assuming Guardians will feature Chris Pratt most likely. 10, 15 years from now he will be older and have moved on from the franchise no doubt. This is probably why they're using screens... Kind of lame, but at least forward thinking?

2351metalcloud

Mark Twain

Old Disney tv shows and movies frequently fit in well with at least one or more things at Disneyland. Even the animals and nature films sometimes fit in well. You can look at the timeline of construction and the timeline for tv shows and movies produced and see tv shows or movies would sometimes be similar to a new attraction at the park (see the movie Third Man on the Mountain for an obvious example). The show 'Disneyland' was somewhat a commercial for the theme park.

http://www.finddisney.com/Timeline_Data.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_anthology_television_series_episodes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_anthology_television_series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films

lazyboy97o

Sorry, not really getting what you're trying to say here. I'm not defending projects based on pre-existing IP, just making an observation as to the history of Disney attractions. IP is literally just ownership of a creative concept/idea... it's all IP in the end.
The idea that everything is IP because pirates or haunted houses were already a known concept is nonsense that does not work with the actual definition of intellectual property. There is no such thing as "generic IP."

BrianLo

Certainly not. Because even amongst "us" you would get differing opinions. But some probably would, yes!

What we're annoyed with is the idea that they seem to have truly lost sight of what even they are capable of when they push themselves outside the IP box and are instead just jumping on board with whatever the hot thing is right now and looking for ways to make a quick profit with it rather than returning to their roots. POTC and HM are both classic iconic attractions that have stood the test of time. Do you think the Guardians Tower is going to have that kind of longevity? Neither do we. But Disney doesn't appear to be hearing the voice of dissent because they're too busy swishing dollars in their ears.

First, yes I am a fan of some of the what people are calling "original" WED attractions. However, I don't totally agree with this entire moral superiority over something spring boarding from a movie versus something from a general genre.

There is a right way of doing things though and a wrong way. Marketing deciding to mandate a quick change for a few bucks obviously is not an original. At the opposite end of the spectrum I find it extremely hard to turn around and say Tony Baxter's vision for DLP wasn't original because he threw Tomorrowland and the Jules Verne's IP into a blender. The Nautilus walk through doesn't suddenly lose its lustre because he didn't reinvent the entire wheel from scratch and write his own story about a steam punk oceaneer. I don't look to Indy and think this isn't as original of an attraction as Pirates because someone produced a movie of it first. Likewise I don't look to Mysterious Island and think it is bogged down in its tie to literature.

The same things apply in my mind to an IP when imagineers are actually let loose to create something from scratch, just because there is an end goal request (i.e. please make a cake, or use Star Wars) doesn't suddenly mean the process can't be as original as them spontaneously deciding to make a cake on their own. The problem is when the recipe itself starts being passed from on high, not the IP request.

People are laser focused on the IP, that's really not the main issue though. It's when the creative reins are too ham fisted to save a few bucks.

dweezil78

The idea that everything is IP because pirates or haunted houses were already a known concept is nonsense that does not work with the actual definition of intellectual property. There is no such thing as "generic IP."

I never said everything is IP or that generic IP was a thing. I just said projects that weren't tied to existing IP were often generic versions of things that already did exist. As someone noted previously, PotC could have just as easily been Treasure Island or any number of pirate movies from the 40s, 50s, and 60s with some small tweaks. 1958's 'The Buccaneer' , for example, is literally about Jean Lafitte...

No Name

Ask any teenager who Rod Serling is and they will have no clue.

So the ride is outdated because the IP is outdated? What a terribly poor thought.
A great attraction thrives on its own merit, and doesn't benefit from be carried on the shoulders of the latest and greatest franchise.

ToT is/was one of those. In fact, it's such a good ride that many people who've never been to a Disney park know of the Tower of Terror. It's thrived on its own merit. Similarly, hardly anyone knows what Song of the South is, but Splash Mountain is a popular ride. These rides have become their own IP.

By your logic, I guess Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, the Haunted Mansion, the Matterhorn, the Jungle Cruise, and, Soarin' are all dated, since they don't have any latest and greatest movie IP. They're definitely NOT among the most popular rides... no... of course not!
:banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom