Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Hatbox Ghostbuster

So you honestly believe that if they listened to y'all, that all the attractions they build would be that much better?
Certainly not. Because even amongst "us" you would get differing opinions. But some probably would, yes!

What we're annoyed with is the idea that they seem to have truly lost sight of what even they are capable of when they push themselves outside the IP box and are instead just jumping on board with whatever the hot thing is right now and looking for ways to make a quick profit with it rather than returning to their roots. POTC and HM are both classic iconic attractions that have stood the test of time. Do you think the Guardians Tower is going to have that kind of longevity? Neither do we. But Disney doesn't appear to be hearing the voice of dissent because they're too busy swishing dollars in their ears.

Phroobar

Certainly not. Because even amongst "us" you would get differing opinions. But some probably would, yes!

What we're annoyed with is the idea that they seem to have truly lost sight of what even they are capable of when they push themselves outside the IP box and are instead just jumping on board with whatever the hot thing is right now and looking for ways to make a quick profit with it rather than returning to their roots. POTC and HM are both classic iconic attractions that have stood the test of time. Do you think the Guardians Tower is going to have that kind of longevity? Neither do we. But Disney doesn't appear to be hearing the voice of dissent because they're too busy swishing dollars in their ears.
What's the big deal? Once the ride is outdated they will retheme it or tear it down just like every other ride. Disney has gotten rid of unpopular stuff in the past. Just like society, they are not looking long term and probably never will.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Well I mean, why should they? In the end they are a corporate entity who has one goal... so far they've been meeting or exceeding that goal. Clearly the forumula is working, for now.

Maybe once they start making less money, not breaking attendance records, maybe then they'll worry and ask us Disney purists how and when they went wrong, but until then I'd expect more IP's, as the merchandise sells and the crowds surge.
For now....that's the key. The pendulum is swinging too far to one side and will (I hope) eventually balance itself out.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
What we're annoyed with is the idea that they seem to have truly lost sight of what even they are capable of when they push themselves outside the IP box and are instead just jumping on board with whatever the hot thing is right now and looking for ways to make a quick profit with it rather than returning to their roots.
Now that I cannot disagree with. We all know that WDI has ideas for attractions that aren't based on anything other than their imagination, and I completely agree that these should be built as well.

POTC and HM are both classic iconic attractions that have stood the test of time. Do you think the Guardians Tower is going to have that kind of longevity? Neither do we. But Disney doesn't appear to be hearing the voice of dissent because they're too busy swishing dollars in their ears.
Longevity for the new tower is obviously a complete unknown, but the fact that it has garnered over $650,000,000 in just a few weeks says that it is extremely popular at the moment. And those kids that go to see it will flock to the new tower for years to come. Remember that this change only took several months to complete. In 5 or 10 years, if attendance is down, it really wouldn't take that much to retheme it to the next big thing, and that I do not have a big problem with. Keeps it fresh, instead of stale.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Now that I cannot disagree with. We all know that WDI has ideas for attractions that aren't based on anything other than their imagination, and I completely agree that these should be built as well.

Longevity for the new tower is obviously a complete unknown, but the fact that it has garnered over $650,000,000 in just a few weeks says that it is extremely popular at the moment. And those kids that go to see it will flock to the new tower for years to come. Remember that this change only took several months to complete. In 5 or 10 years, if attendance is down, it really wouldn't take that much to retheme it to the next big thing, and that I do not have a big problem with. Keeps it fresh, instead of stale.
Sadly too in 5 to 10 years we'll have GOTG Vol 6 to keep fans interested...

I guess that's where we differ. For me, Disney shouldn't be focusing on the "next big thing" but on timeless, classic things. If I want the flavor of the month IP attraction I can drive up the freeway to Universal.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sadly too in 5 to 10 years we'll have GOTG Vol 6 to keep fans interested...

I guess that's where we differ. For me, Disney shouldn't be focusing on the "next big thing" but on timeless, classic things. If I want the flavor of the month IP attraction I can drive up the freeway to Universal.
I think it needs to be a mixture of both, just like Walt did it.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Quick Twitter search...

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 12.46.32 PM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom