New speciality cruise takes guests around World Showcase Lagoon

TaoBoxer

Wait...wait.....I GOT IT!!! Boats...With CABANAS!!!!
maxresdefault.jpg
I think you're on to something. Or on something. Not sure. LOL !

peter11435

LOL so I made a point people will buy anything with the world disney on it. This is a classic example, anyone who would even think this is a deal is crazy. To spend $150 on a boat with bagged snacks and bottle soda? Right lol. They could have at least given a QS voucher to use at a restaurant.

I can take the boat for free, enjoy the sights then go have my fish and chips all for a grand total of $14.
It's not meant to be a deal. It's meant to be an experience available to those wishing to participate. If you're not interested you don't have to do it.

JoeCamel

I thought the reason the friendships didn't make the loop any longer was that the lagoon was silted up and they couldn't? If this is a pontoon it would have less draft but is that enough for it to make loops or will it go to a dock, back to the center and then to the other dock? Or have they dredged the lagoon?

Disone

I thought the reason the friendships didn't make the loop any longer was that the lagoon was silted up and they couldn't? If this is a pontoon it would have less draft but is that enough for it to make loops or will it go to a dock, back to the center and then to the other dock? Or have they dredged the lagoon?

They don,t make loops anymore? I never use them but thought I have seen them in use recently. Do not they not still dock overnight behind China which requires Traversing the world showcase lagoon to get to the boardwalk and studios canal

JoeCamel

They don,t make loops anymore? I never use them but thought I have seen them in use recently. Do not they not still dock overnight behind China which requires Traversing the world showcase lagoon to get to the boardwalk and studios canal
Nope just back and forth. They do dock behind China but they go back to the front of the showcase to get there. The shallow part is near Italy and Japan.

Disone

Ohhhh. It's never been a loop for as long as I can remember including my first visit in 1986. Back then they ran 4 on the lagoon. Two on each line. If you look at old 1980 EPCOT Center maps you can see the routes marked and it's not a loop. Just two out and back lines like it is today but today they only run one friendship per line. I have always wished it was a loop.

peter11435

Ohhhh. It's never been a loop for as long as I can remember including my first visit in 1986. Back then they ran 4 on the lagoon. Two on each line. If you look at old 1980 EPCOT Center maps you can see the routes marked and it's not a loop. Just two out and back lines like it is today but today they only run one friendship per line. I have always wished it was a loop.
I believe it was always intended as two separate lines. The loop came about as a cost savings measure where a single boat would service all 4 docks.

Nj4mwc

This is something my grandma would love probably my mom also. My only enjoyment of this would come at listening to my dad bi$&@ about the price to my mom, I hate the idea of upcharge fireworks viewing areas. Any charging for access to what once was accessible is a rip off to guests. But as long as the view from shore isn't ruined by 40 pontoon boat cruises at once I'm okay with this, I think seeing 1 or 2 more boats cruising around the lake adds a little more to the overall atmosphere. So I'll benefit without being charged

Do you also wonder why people do the hot-air balloon ride at Disney Springs, at $20 a person? You aren't seeing anything new, right? It's because it's a ride, and it's interesting and unique, and some people enjoy it.

While I wouldn't do this, personally, I completely understand its target: people at Yacht & Beach Club. They're staying at a boat/cruise themed hotel next to Epcot. For $10 a person you get a relaxing "cruise around the world" for an hour with snacks and drinks. In that setting it makes complete thematic sense.

You couldn't be any further from correct with that statement. You are seeing Disney Springs from a highly elevated position that would NEVER be possible any other way. World Showcase...you are already looking at the other countries over the water from across the lake. Being ON the water doesn't make much of a difference.

The entire cruise makes no sense no matter how you try to defend it.

natatomic

Nah, they can still traverse anywhere in the lagoon (which is how they boats get to and from the marina at night). One of the reasons they stopped doing one big loop with all four docks was the ECV limit. Each boat can only take 2 at a time. If a boat loads two in Mexico, and those two plan on just going for a trip around the lagoon and not actually getting off at any of the docks, then no more scooters can get on at the other three docks till the next round (or at least the next boat). But if there's two in Canada, the other two docks still have to wait yet another round, assuming there aren't more at Mexico when the boat returns. And during F&W or F&G when there are scooters every single round? Scooters would be waiting all day. By doing the two docks back and forth, people are more likely to use the boats as transportation rather than just go for a ride. There are other factors too, but that's one of the big ones.

Biff215

Well, $10. Ten bucks for an hour long boat trip with snacks & drinks. Just to be clear.
No, $15/person plus tax (and gratuity), IF you happen to have a party of 10. Typical family of four, now closer to $40/person. Not the worst pricing, but let's not pretend it's a bargain either.

If this is your thing, that's fine. What bothers me is it's in the park in an open boat. If it were actually popular, multiple pontoons at a time would take away from WS for me. Fortunately this likely won't happen, but I'd prefer that it stay by the resorts. Even the fireworks cruises stay far enough out to be mostly unseen, and the Friendships are mostly enclosed and nicely themed.

There has to be better ways to increase profits, but of course those require more thought and work...

NearTheEars

If only it were April 1st.

Next up; a tour of the parking lot with one of the new trams. Snacks included.

Whatever next. :facepalm:

I recently took a pontoon boat tour around a nearby lake in Central Fla. as part of a work outing. All we saw were some big vacation homes and we received no snacks or drinks. I think if you had 10 people on hand that didn't want to pay full admission but wanted a glimpse inside EPCOT, it's surprisingly reasonable compared to other recent offerings from WDW.

I have yet to take part in any upcharge event they've thrown out there. Only about 2-3 have even piqued my interest. As with the others, if it fails, it fails. If it's successful, so be it.

Goob

Yeah, I could see how this would be kinda cool for someone who isn't going to Epcot but staying at The Yacht Club and wants to see Epcot and cruise around on a boat. I get it.

spresso81

I think this might be big with corporate clients/conventions. A number of conventions are held or have guests stay at the Swan/Dolphin or YC so it is near by and a good activity for these events. Also, if they like it I could see them doing add-ons like food and alcohol.

I would not do this on a family vacation but think it is a good offering for a certain segment of Disney's clientele.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom