Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

montyz81

people advocating adding still more spinner rides to Adventureland

Somewhere, Phil Holmes is smiling.
For the current administration, that probably means adding Disney characters to these:
upload_2017-5-19_14-11-0.jpeg
and selling them in Adventureland.

Rumrunner

The remains of the Tropical Serenade aka The Enchanted Tiki Room (aka a Top 10 Fanboi nostalgia lovefest) looks like it is about to fly the coop for good.

According to multiple sources, the attraction, which saw a reprieve a few years ago when it went back to a shortened version of the original 1971 show from the poorly received Under New Management update following a fire that damaged the facility, is on the chopping block and very, very likely to leave.

At this point, I will only call this a rumor (but the gondola system is a rumor and happening, the Rat ride at EPCOT is only a rumor and is happening, the Speedway removal is a rumor and is happening, the new DVC at CBR is a rumor and is happening and the Star Wars themed BOUTIQUE resort experience is a rumor and is most definitely happening).

As to what will replace it, that is unclear at present and one source even suggests it could remain with a new Stitch overlay reusing the pricey AA just like TDL has, but I don't see that.

And with other plans for Adventureland percolating, and Disney having no care for its past beyond shilling merchandise and D23 events and the like, I would expect Jose and Fritz and Company to fly away for good in the near future.
Hope Tiki Birds stay-our kids and grandkids enjoyed the show. It is unique and entertaining.

jt04

It's only a matter of time before @jt04 suggests this as a great place for Guardians of the Galaxy.

You must have me confused with someone else. I want an AV closer to the original vision except the birds and flying carpets.

I suggest that entire group of buildings receive refurbed kitchens and be turned over to f&b and continue with facilities on par with skippers. I suggest Haunted restaurant, NO Square, Tianas, Club 33, and something pirates or Moana where tiki and terrace is.

Or something.

grnflash

As much as I love the Tiki Room, it'd be interesting to see if they start looking at MK as its own park rather than Disneyland's big brother.

Sorry but this cracks me up. Ain't nobody out West that thinks MK is DL's big brother. If WDW would stop envisioning themselves as such, perhaps they could figure out how develop an actual "soul" for MK, with or without Tiki. A big castle will only get ya so far.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
A 34 foot pink one isn't awe inspiring. There's always the Disney family museum for historical artifacts that no longer draw a crowd. Different markets and customer bases.

Otterhead

Ain't nobody out West that thinks MK is DL's big brother.
I mean more in terms of size than spirit. MK is physically larger than Disneyland, and much of its early rides were repurposed clones of DL attractions. But DL has always felt like a much better designed park than MK; it just feels better landscaped and organized. I'm always interested in things they do to differentiate the two, such as Temple of the Forbidden Eye or Dumbo's Circus.

grnflash

A 34 foot pink one isn't awe inspiring. There's always the Disney family museum for historical artifacts that no longer draw a crowd. Different markets and customer bases.

Well sure to all of that but it misses my point. The thing is that any honest debate of which is the best castle park comes down to two locations - Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland. MK is never in the running. Sure people can "like" MK better than the others, but that isn't an argument why it would actually be better. Because what's better? The castle. What else? Splash. And then what? Again, where is MK's "soul" (once you pass the castle)?

DL knows it's soul. It is in it's history and rich detailing. And it was reborn after being lost for a decade, so hope is not gone that MK couldn't find its soul as well. Clearly it won't be in it's history (skyway, subs, snow, toad, possibly tiki point to that.) Tokyo also knows its soul, the no-expense-spared ride and show/performance attitude. With no night parade at MK or even in development, pretty sure that's not their soul.

Getting rid of Tiki at MK isn't the worst thing imaginable. But if it's replacement doesn't create a new point of soul in the park (and I have zero faith that it will), well MK will continue to stay out of the running in the best castle park debate all the while pointing to their castle and fantasizing about being the big brother.

Cake

OMGoodness this rumor has practically made me cry. I love, love the Tiki room. Maybe if they connected the theme to Pirates or Moana then people might be more interested. People who aren't familiar with MK might walk right past it and not notice there is an attraction.

cheezbat

Well sure to all of that but it misses my point. The thing is that any honest debate of which is the best castle park comes down to two locations - Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland. MK is never in the running. Sure people can "like" MK better than the others, but that isn't an argument why it would actually be better. Because what's better? The castle. What else? Splash. And then what? Again, where is MK's "soul" (once you pass the castle)?

DL knows it's soul. It is in it's history and rich detailing. And it was reborn after being lost for a decade, so hope is not gone that MK couldn't find its soul as well. Clearly it won't be in it's history (skyway, subs, snow, toad, possibly tiki point to that.) Tokyo also knows its soul, the no-expense-spared ride and show/performance attitude. With no night parade at MK or even in development, pretty sure that's not their soul.

Getting rid of Tiki at MK isn't the worst thing imaginable. But if it's replacement doesn't create a new point of soul in the park (and I have zero faith that it will), well MK will continue to stay out of the running in the best castle park debate all the while pointing to their castle and fantasizing about being the big brother.

I agree with you that either Disneyland or Tokyo Disneyland have to be the best castle park...BUT there are exceptions that show that MK has a soul...even if it's somewhat lost in the jumble of things...the Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain are fantastic versions at the park. Liberty Square is an area unlike any other in a castle park. MK also has the classic Country Bear Jamboree, Carousel of Progress, and the Peoplemover. Yes, the CoP needs love, and the Peoplemover could use some more things too...but these are classic attractions that give me the same 'feels' I get whenever I'm at Disneyland.
What's so neat about each castle park is that they are all similar, but also very different. It's a shame that not every park has a different icon though. With Hong Kong changing theirs, it will help give them their own identity. Now if only Tokyo would do something similar to differentiate it from MK.
Every park has its charm. Every park seems to have a soul in some way...but none can match the original magic touch of Walt's park.

The Duck

Anyone who walks through Adventureland and doesn't see the huge pagoda with the TIKI ROOM sign underneath must be blind.
A few years ago, someone on this forum told the story about his neighbors who took a WDW trip and came home disappointed. In spite of all of the pre-vacation info he had given his neighbor, they only visited the MK and not the three other parks (or anything else on property). They walked right past most of the attractions and since they were mostly indoors, they thought that they were all gift shops and didn't bother to go in. They thought that the only attractions in the park consisted of the carousel, the tea cups and the speedway which they considered to be "Kiddie Rides" and not worth their time. The rest of the week, they hung out at the hotel pool wondering why they took their neighbor's advice to take a Disney vacation. I hope he was pulling our legs.

Otterhead

The rest of the week, they hung out at the hotel pool wondering why they took their neighbor's advice to take a Disney vacation. I hope he was pulling our legs.
I can't possibly imagine being that immensely stupid or vapid, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

A few years back I took a trip down there with my housemate's nephew. He and his dad used to go every year but hadn't been able to go in quite awhile, so we took him. He kept asking about the hotel pool at Saratoga Springs and seemed confused when we talked about the attractions. We took him to MK the first day and he was just speechless and had an amazing time. He explained later that for years, the way he and his dad did their Disney trips was to sleep until noon, spend the afternoon at the hotel pool, order room service, and then go on Space Mountain. That's literally all he ever did. He wasn't aware there was more to do at WDW until his mid teens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom