Sanaa or Disney Springs?

sophie_the_pooh

Original Poster
I will be staying at AKL next August with DH and DS 5, for 6 nights. We originally planned to spend 2 evenings at the resort, we have an ADR at Jiko on August 12th and another one at Sanaa on August 15. Not so sure about Sanaa since DH and DS aren't thrilled with the menu. DS mentionned last night wanting to go to Disney Springs, which wasn't planned for this trip... I don't want to change my other evening plans, this is the only one I'm not sure about... Would you switch, or you think we will regret not trying Sanaa while staying at AKL? What Disney Springs restaurant would you recommend? I was thinking Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe, would a 5 year old be welcome there?

Thank you!:)

correcaminos

Boer sausage and cury dishes are a bit of s tretch for us. The bread service is wonderful though.
I am not a fan of most curry, but all the food I have tried there was amazingly good. Boma was far too curry intense for my tastes. I've seen you post about this before and also that Sanaa is primarily Indian food... it is not even close to Indian food outside of the naan. The only curry at all listed is part of the bread service as well. The sausage is on two items and lunch only so you have a lot to choose from beyond that.

wdwmamamouse

Disney Springs is fun to visit if you like to shop and eat---how will you get there? I do want to mention that parking can be packed and when we ate at Homecomin (which we really liked and would recommend), we had a long walk from the parking lot. Disney Springs reminds me of shopping areas here in Atlanta--lots of people and activity. If you don't get to WDW often you may enjoy going to Disney Springs just for the experience:) Personally, we love Sanaa and I'm not an adventurous diner. We really like the salad sampler (3 delicious marinated salads that we share), the bread service is also really good...their butter chicken is very tasty - not at all spicy..i got the okra/tomato combo on the side which was also delicious. The restaurant's decor is really interesting and the service is great.

LeighM

We really enjoy Sanaa for dinner. And like others said, the bread service is fantastic. The next time I go, I would like to try their lunch. But we also really enjoy Disney Springs and can spend a lot of time in the Marketplace section. Our favorite place to eat at DS is Homecomin' with Raglan Road being a close second out of the DS places we've been to. I don't think you can go wrong with either option considering the food options at Disney Springs.

sophie_the_pooh

Original Poster
I wouldn't take those kids to Jiko. Way too young for a restaurant like that. Even if they're the most well behaved kids on the planet, you're going to get looks.
Thank you for your comment, but I wasn't asking about Jiko. "Those kids" should be fine, I only have one kid, my son will be almost 6 by then and he knows how to behave in a restaurant, everything was fine at places like Le Cellier, for example. Of course, he's still just a kid, he may be tired and crankier than usual, but if there is a problem, one of us will take him out for a little walk or run to calm him down... Don't worry, we'll be careful not to bother other diners...

CaptainAmerica

Thank you for your comment, but I wasn't asking about Jiko. "Those kids" should be fine, I only have one kid, my son will be almost 6 by then and he knows how to behave in a restaurant, everything was fine at places like Le Cellier, for example. Of course, he's still just a kid, he may be tired and crankier than usual, but if there is a problem, one of us will take him out for a little walk or run to calm him down... Don't worry, we'll be careful not to bother other diners...
Wow, defensive much? My suggestion was about your family being comfortable. I'm letting you know that other diners will be jerks, I'm not saying they'll be justified in being jerks.

And Le Cellier is nothing like Jiko. Miles apart in terms of atmosphere and elegance. Le Cellier is an expensive restaurant in an amusement park. Jiko is fine dining. There's a major, major difference.

correcaminos

Wow, defensive much? My suggestion was about your family being comfortable. I'm letting you know that other diners will be jerks, I'm not saying they'll be justified in being jerks.

And Le Cellier is nothing like Jiko. Miles apart in terms of atmosphere and elegance. Le Cellier is an expensive restaurant in an amusement park. Jiko is fine dining. There's a major, major difference.
I find this a bit baffling. They have a kids menu at Jiko so kids are welcome there. Honestly Disney's 'signature' dining is more like slightly upscale here and kids eat in them all the time - most without issues.

I take my kid everywhere, never once has anyone been a jerk to us because of it. Then again I don't believe kids should be standing and walking around, talking loud, playing on electronics, or anything else that would make someone look. I guarantee that unless the kid is doing something wrong, no one will notice. Your statements make it seem like all kids are not well behaved, and that isn't always the truth.

Personally I think you were out of line to comment about Jiko in the first place since that wasn't part of the issue anyway.

CaptainAmerica

I find this a bit baffling. They have a kids menu at Jiko so kids are welcome there. Honestly Disney's 'signature' dining is more like slightly upscale here and kids eat in them all the time - most without issues.

I take my kid everywhere, never once has anyone been a jerk to us because of it. Then again I don't believe kids should be standing and walking around, talking loud, playing on electronics, or anything else that would make someone look. I guarantee that unless the kid is doing something wrong, no one will notice. Your statements make it seem like all kids are not well behaved, and that isn't always the truth.

Personally I think you were out of line to comment about Jiko in the first place since that wasn't part of the issue anyway.
Did I say it would be "an issue"? Nope. Did I say kids aren't welcome? Nope. Did I say that Sophie's son is poorly behaved? Nope. I just said I wouldn't do it. In the context of this thread, I'm suggesting she go to Sanaa and Disney Springs and skip Jiko. Not because she is forbidden from bringing a child into Jiko, but because I think family restaurants like Sanaa are more comfortable for families with small children than fine dining places.

As to your comment on Disney signature dining being "slightly upscale," you can't make a blanket statement like that. "Signature" refers to price, not atmosphere. I wouldn't bring kids to Jiko, Narcoosee's, Citricos, or Artist Point. I would absolutely bring them to California Grill, Le Cellier, or the Brown Derby.

correcaminos

Did I say it would be "an issue"? Nope. Did I say kids aren't welcome? Nope. Did I say that Sophie's son is poorly behaved? Nope. I just said I wouldn't do it. In the context of this thread, I'm suggesting she go to Sanaa and Disney Springs and skip Jiko. Not because she is forbidden from bringing a child into Jiko, but because I think family restaurants like Sanaa are more comfortable for families with small children than fine dining places.

As to your comment on Disney signature dining being "slightly upscale," you can't make a blanket statement like that. "Signature" refers to price, not atmosphere. I wouldn't bring kids to Jiko, Narcoosee's, Citricos, or Artist Point. I would absolutely bring them to California Grill, Le Cellier, or the Brown Derby.
The 'issue' was me relating to the OP, not you saying there was an issue. They asked for thoughts on Sanaa - you gave yours on Jiko which was not even something the OP cared to discuss.

I just find it irksome that people suggest things that are not relevant to the discussion.

As for the 'slightly upscale' I can and will say it again. We live in an area of a lot of fine dining. Disney's idea of 'signature' is not the same as our "fine dining" here. It reminds me of our slightly upscale places. Unlike you, I feel if you raise children to be well adjusted any of the Disney restaurants that have kids meals are fine for children. Unlike you though, I don't think children are really all that different than adults. Sometimes kids are better behaved than adults.

If Disney has a kids meal, it is family location, pretty much end of story. I have zero hesitations bringing a child to any place that has one. We'll have to agree to disagree on this I am sure. I will say what I am very strict on behavior from children on matter where we dine though.

littleroo

My opinion is to definitely get over to DS no matter what!! There is so much to see and do. My children love it. Raglan Road is one of there favorites. Request a table in the center, you will wait a little longer but it is worth it to see the dancers up close.

Having said that, we love Sanaa!! As stated up the bread service is awesome. Maybe squeeze it in for lunch....

CaptainAmerica

I just find it irksome that people suggest things that are not relevant to the discussion.
Well I do it quite a bit, so I suggest you go ahead and block me if you don't like it. 99% of the time, people respond with something along the lines of "oh gee, I didn't even think of that... thanks for the suggestion!"

Just yesterday or the day before, someone was asking about 1900 Park Fare versus Crystal Palace for dinner. Based on the way he described his schedule, I suggested he look into Crystal Palace breakfast before the park opened. Though he decided against it, he was very appreciative of the suggestion.

correcaminos

Well I do it quite a bit, so I suggest you go ahead and block me if you don't like it. 99% of the time, people respond with something along the lines of "oh gee, I didn't even think of that... thanks for the suggestion!"
What's with the attitude? Just because I find something irksome doesn't mean I'll be that pathetic and block someone. I'm a mom, a lot irks me especially when working with a lot of kids, I get over it.

I just thought your comment was kind of out of left field. You didn't even say they should do Sanaa & Disney Springs in the post, just simply that you wouldn't do Jiko.

Then again we didn't care for Disney Springs. Too much like malls back at home with a large selection of Disney items to spend (waste) money on. So I wouldn't suggest there anyway for kids ;)

CaptainAmerica

What's with the attitude? Just because I find something irksome doesn't mean I'll be that pathetic and block someone. I'm a mom, a lot irks me especially when working with a lot of kids, I get over it.
My attitude? You went after me twice. First, telling me I'm "out of line" and following that up with a dig on my parenting philosophy.

correcaminos

My attitude? You went after me twice. First, telling me I'm "out of line" and following that up with a dig on my parenting philosophy.
What the.....? I don't even know if you have a kid or not let alone what your parenting philosophy is. You seem all hurt because I thought your suggestion was irrelevant and then suggested I block you because of it.

If you think disagreeing is 'going after' someone, I don't know what to tell you, but they are certainly not the same thing.

I think the OP should keep Jiko and Sanaa as both are wonderful places to eat and very different from each other too.

Last edited:

sophie_the_pooh

Original Poster

Thank you, this is exactly what I think. We have many restaurants in Montreal that would better fit the "signature dining" description, we took our son to a couple of them and never had an issue. Of course, he's not yelling and running or standing up on is chair! (Which he never does at home, humhum....:oops:)

sophie_the_pooh

Original Poster

Well, maybe I misread your post, but I didn't see it as a suggestion to skip Jiko instead of Sanaa, you just mentionned not to take "those kids" to Jiko since they're too young and I would get looks. Anyways, I was just answering your comment by telling you I don't see why taking my son, or any kid that can behave at a restaurant for that matter, to Jiko will be an issue. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom