Is this schedule crazy?

JChoma

I had our trip planned the week after Thanksgiving and just learned MK is closing super early (4:30) one night we'd planned to be there late to see happily ever after. I'm planning out of excitement vs. necessity right now :) but I am trying to figure out which parks to hit on which days since it affects the ADRs I can make soon. We had planned to park hop but now I'm not sure.

What are your thoughts on this schedule? It is too much? Kids are 6 & 10.

Sunday- arrive. Dinner at Ohana, low-key night.
Monday- MK all day, rope drop through fireworks.
Tuesday- MK morning arrival but not rope drop, leave in the afternoon. (It's MVMCP and we're not going). Dinner at 1900 park fare and decent bedtime.
Wednesday- Full Day (a.m. extra magic- Rivers of Light) at Animal Kingdom.
Thursday- Full Day- Epcot. We'll arrive for the a.m. extra magic hour and stay through Illuminations.
Friday- sleep in. Resort most of day, HS in afternoon/evening.
Saturday- last day, full day at MK. rope drop through fireworks.

So we'll have long days followed by a semi-restful time, but I'm wondering if this is pushing it. 3 rope drop through evening shows during a 6-day trip. Thoughts? We are staying at CBR, so I don't think a mid-day break would be worth the time lost. I would plan on finding opportunities to rest in the park....HOP, COP, etc.

We are morning people except after late nights :) which is why I'm a little worried.

KrzyKtty

As long as there are rest times through the day, basically don't be go go go every minute you should be fine. But only you really know your family. Our schedule looks similar, but I am leaving time to return to the resorts if we choose to.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Monday- MK all day, rope drop through fireworks.
Everyone is different, but I found that when we try to spend all day and night at the parks, my kids (they were 10 during our last visit) pooped out by dinner time. There was no way they wanted to spend the evening there.

My kids love the pool and so as their fatique increased, so did their desire (and whining) to go to the pool. If you ware looking to spend all day and nigh at a park, then take some time off at the resort for a nap, or laid back time at the pool.

Tuesday- MK morning arrival but not rope drop, leave in the afternoon. (It's MVMCP and we're not going). Dinner at 1900 park fare and decent bedtime.
Why go to MK the very next day? I would go to a different park the following day and then swing back to MK later on - that will keep things fresh for you and the kids.

Thursday- Full Day- Epcot. We'll arrive for the a.m. extra magic hour and stay through Illuminations.
My experience is that my wife and I struggled to keep the kids interested in Epcot for the entire day (never mind evening). Perhaps because we go to WDW quite often but our kids are not that interested in the world showcase so that basically cuts the park in 1/2.

Upvote 0

JChoma

Original Poster
Why go to MK the very next day? I would go to a different park the following day and then swing back to MK later on - that will keep things fresh for you and the kids.

The next day is MVMCP and I've read that lines are super low during the first part of the day at MK on Xmas party days. We aren't going to the Xmas party, so I don't think it would make sense to hop to MK second part of the day if we have to leave at 6 or 7. I had this same concern that if we're at MK all day the first day, going back the second might not be as magical.

My experience is that my wife and I struggled to keep the kids interested in Epcot for the entire day (never mind evening). Perhaps because we go to WDW quite often but our kids are not that interested in the world showcase so that basically cuts the park in 1/2.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but my thinking was we could rope drop Soarin, fast pass Frozen and then have a slow day until Illuminations. But you're right, on our last trip my kids thought the world showcase was boring so maybe I should re-think this plan.

Other planning option would be:
1. Day one AK all day (but I think ROL is at 7- so this wouldn't push Day 1 like MK would, where we'd be waiting until fireworks at 10)
2. Day 2 MK most of the day, hop to Epcot for Illuminations (still same park 2 days in a row, but also Epcot)
3. MK all day- see Happily ever after this night
4. Epcot in a.m. so we can fastpass Frozen and hit Soarin', pool in afternoon, HS at night (MK closes early for a cast event this night)
5. Friday- ?
6. Last day- MK all day

Upvote 0

21stamps

="JChoma, post: 7712887, member: 110083"]Why go to MK the very next day? I would go to a different park the following day and then swing back to MK later on - that will keep things fresh for you and the kids.

The next day is MVMCP and I've read that lines are super low during the first part of the day at MK on Xmas party days. We aren't going to the Xmas party, so I don't think it would make sense to hop to MK second part of the day if we have to leave at 6 or 7. I had this same concern that if we're at MK all day the first day, going back the second might not be as magical.

My experience is that my wife and I struggled to keep the kids interested in Epcot for the entire day (never mind evening). Perhaps because we go to WDW quite often but our kids are not that interested in the world showcase so that basically cuts the park in 1/2.
Same here, but my thinking was we could rope drop Soarin, fast pass Frozen and then have a slow day until Illuminations. But you're right, on our last trip my kids thought the world showcase was boring so maybe I should re-think this plan.

Other planning option would be:
1. Day one AK all day (but I think ROL is at 7- so this wouldn't push Day 1 like MK would, where we'd be waiting until fireworks at 10)
2. Day 2 MK most of the day, hop to Epcot for Illuminations (still same park 2 days in a row, but also Epcot)
3. MK all day- see Happily ever after this night
4. Epcot in a.m. so we can fastpass Frozen and hit Soarin', pool in afternoon, HS at night (MK closes early for a cast event this night)
5. Friday- ?
6. Last day- MK all day

Not to scare you, but don't count on "super low crowds" on a MVCMP day. That wasn't my experience. I talk about this all the time, but I highly, highly, recommend Early Morning Magic. It is typically offered on a party day, or was last year. I say skip the cost of the hoppers and do that instead :). Then you can get the longest waits out of the way, and ride multiple times, before even touching your first FP.

Epcot- Holidays around the World was incredible.. we missed a lot of the story tellers unfortunately, but the ones we did see were great! Your kids may really like it. Maybe just arrive at Epcot a little later instead of rope drop?

I'm also with the others who recommended mid day breaks instead of open-close MK. I think they're a must, but..that's for me, you know your family better. But if they are grouchy or falling asleep before fireworks it's not fun for anyone.lol

Upvote 0

JChoma

Original Poster
Not to scare you, but don't count on "super low crowds" on a MVCMP day. That wasn't my experience. I talk about this all the time, but I highly, highly, recommend Early Morning Magic. It is typically offered on a party day, or was last year. I say skip the cost of the hoppers and do that instead :). Then you can get the longest waits out of the way, and ride multiple times, before even touching your first FP.

Epcot- Holidays around the World was incredible.. we missed a lot of the story tellers unfortunately, but the ones we did see were great! Your kids may really like it. Maybe just arrive at Epcot a little later instead of rope drop?

I'm also with the others who recommended mid day breaks instead of open-close MK. I think they're a must, but..that's for me, you know your family better. But if they are grouchy or falling asleep before fireworks it's not fun for anyone.lol

Thank you SO much for these tips. We had to get the hoppers to get free dining. Hours aren't out yet, but "predicted" early morning magic at MK is on Friday 12/1. That's a party day. There's also early morning magic at AK on Wednesday, which is why originally I planned to go then. It's tough to plan this week when we only have 3 opportunities to see MK fireworks and 2 of those will totally push the kids!

Plan looks good, but that's a lot of Magic Kingdom and I think you'd do better with midday breaks. That helps make park hopping more feasible as well.

I think you're right, I'm going to re-work the plan to allow for more down time. I think my plan is a better idea in theory than in practice. Grumpy tired kids aren't so magical.....

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think you're right, I'm going to re-work the plan to allow for more down time. I think my plan is a better idea in theory than in practice. Grumpy tired kids aren't so magical.....
As you're working on your plan, keep in mind that you're planning for your specific family. Sometimes I get caught up in planning the "perfect" WDW itinerary that I forget the nuances of the way my family likes to travel, sleep, and eat. For instance, rope drop is easy for us even if we were out late the night before but morning EMH would be a stretch even on our best day. Another example is that we find it much easier to tour seven straight days at a moderate pace than to go two hardcore days followed by a day of nothing followed by two more hardcore days.

Upvote 0

JChoma

Original Poster
As you're working on your plan, keep in mind that you're planning for your specific family. Sometimes I get caught up in planning the "perfect" WDW itinerary that I forget the nuances of the way my family likes to travel, sleep, and eat. For instance, rope drop is easy for us even if we were out late the night before but morning EMH would be a stretch even on our best day. Another example is that we find it much easier to tour seven straight days at a moderate pace than to go two hardcore days followed by a day of nothing followed by two more hardcore days.
You are absolutely right and great points. It's funny, I just shared the possibility of rope drop through fireworks with my husband and he looked at me like I was crazy :) and reminded me that starting off the trip with a marathon day like that would not end well.
I've re-worked our plans.

Monday: MK all day...but leave after dinner, no fireworks. We'll quit while ahead
Tuesday: AK all day through ROL.
Wednesday: Rope drop Epcot in a.m. for Soarin' & FP Frozen. Afternoon break at resort. MK in evening for fireworks.
Thursday: Sleep in/relaxing resort time. HS in afternoon/evening.
Friday: MK extra magic in morning. Mid-day break at resort. Hop to Epcot in evening for Illuminations.
Saturday: MK all day

I think this builds in some breaks and down time, yet also allows us to see the night shows we want, take advantage of extra a.m. hours at MK one day, and pretty much get to everything we'd like to. Phew. I don't know how I'd ever plan a trip without everyone's help! :)

Upvote 0

correcaminos

You are absolutely right and great points. It's funny, I just shared the possibility of rope drop through fireworks with my husband and he looked at me like I was crazy :) and reminded me that starting off the trip with a marathon day like that would not end well.
I've re-worked our plans.

Monday: MK all day...but leave after dinner, no fireworks. We'll quit while ahead
Tuesday: AK all day through ROL.
Wednesday: Rope drop Epcot in a.m. for Soarin' & FP Frozen. Afternoon break at resort. MK in evening for fireworks.
Thursday: Sleep in/relaxing resort time. HS in afternoon/evening.
Friday: MK extra magic in morning. Mid-day break at resort. Hop to Epcot in evening for Illuminations.
Saturday: MK all day

I think this builds in some breaks and down time, yet also allows us to see the night shows we want, take advantage of extra a.m. hours at MK one day, and pretty much get to everything we'd like to. Phew. I don't know how I'd ever plan a trip without everyone's help! :)
This looks pretty good! I agree the rope drop to fireworks is likely a bit much. You could do MK and then do a break then come for fireworks if you like too. We just need time down still at that age because they do get pooped even if it isn't blazing hot.

I would possibly plan a wee more Epcot time but maybe not depending on the kids. Hard to say.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom