U.S. considering laptops in cabin ban on flights from Europe

jaklgreen

They said they ban e-readers too. Not 1 Nook has ever caught fire and having my e-reader on a flight is a must for me. I love to read and can go through a book in 3-4 hours. I think that is going to far. As for the bomb thing, they can do their little swabbing thing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a laptop ban on domestic flights within a few months, frankly.

Then they might as well shut the airlines down as business travelers will avoid them in droves. And since you cant lock luggage and neither TSA not Airline responsible for theft well lets say business travellers aint putting their gear below to be stolen by the TSA employees who seem always to be deep in any large scale luggage theft bust.

Of course its NEVER occurred to anyone in TSA management that those who take stuff OUT can put other stuff IN like drugs or explosives no they worry about 'Hollywood Plots' like this one.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Thankfully, cooler heads from the EU prevailed and this isn't happening. They were even more concerned about putting that many lithium ion batteries in the hold of the plane. I'm headed to Europe this week and was extremely concerned about my camera gear but was glad to hear this isn't happening. I'm expecting somewhat more aggressive inspection of everything which I'm fine with vs fully banning it.

Otterhead

Then they might as well shut the airlines down as business travelers will avoid them in droves.
Absolutely! Or, my theory is that they would push more business travelers to use TSA PreCheck to take laptops onboard, so that they'd have fewer people lining up at security and make money from all the PreCheck sign-ups.

But as @donsullivan says, the US-EU laptop ban didn't go through, happily. A lot of airlines were really angry about the idea, both from the loss of business travelers and the idea of putting batteries in cargo.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thankfully, cooler heads from the EU prevailed and this isn't happening. They were even more concerned about putting that many lithium ion batteries in the hold of the plane. I'm headed to Europe this week and was extremely concerned about my camera gear but was glad to hear this isn't happening. I'm expecting somewhat more aggressive inspection of everything which I'm fine with vs fully banning it.

Myself and a few business traveler friends wrote letters to the FAA and TSA about the hazards of all those lithium ion batteries in the cargo hold being roughly handled and in proximity to flammable clothing with no one to either observe a battery fire starting or being able to take steps to extinguish it if its begun.

As you say the risk managers took a clearheaded look at this and came down on the side of sanity for once

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom