Original Disneyland sketch by Herb Ryman is going to auction

rob0519

I had the same thought.

My preference would be for it to be donated to The Disney Family Museum. As much as I love the WDCo it would be nice for something this personal to be displayed in an environment less commercial than a Disney theme park.

I would think the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco would be a great place to display this too. Definitely not at a theme park.

D

Deleted member 107043

Wow. I kinda wish they wouldn't crap on their own legacy just to keep the price down.

Which is exactly why I think an artifact like this ought to go to the Walt Disney Family Foundation nonprofit and displayed in their museum.

dweezil78

Lol, apparently he has never stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. What a tool.

40Bday_R3_N10.jpg

dweezil78

Sorry, just read the article... I mean, the guy is kind of right. It doesn't really resemble the park today. Doesn't seem like he's trying to discredit the map or this piece, just talking more so about how it connects to what we see today.

Old Mouseketeer

The original drawing has a well-documented history. What does Dave Smith have to say about this? The gallery has a legal obligation to tell everything it knows about the provenance of the specimen they are offering for auction. What does the auction entry say about it?

EDIT...

I see from the Gallery's website (should have clicked on the link first) that the provenance is given in detail. It details the various iterations of the original Ryman pencil drawing over the months leading up to Disneyland's opening.

It seems that this is an enhanced version of the illustration that was taken by Roy to New York. I'm less clear as to whether this is an alteration of the physical specimen that Roy took, or an enhanced copy. Probably I should have taken more time to absorb the details of the Gallery's entry.

Here is the link to the Gallery's entry for this piece: https://vegalleries.com/themap

Last edited:

donaldtoo

If this is indeed the original presentation board Roy O. took to New York, this piece is legendary.
The story of how it made it out of the Disney Studios sounds reasonable... "Oh, you want this ol' thing. Sure, take it, it's yours!"
Funny thing is, I never knew it wasn't in the possession of TWDC. :cyclops:
Now, as to the original vellum sketch...where is that...?! o_O

D

Deleted member 107043

Where is the Ellenshaw painting now? For years it was displayed in The Disney Gallery above Pirates.

donaldtoo

Where is the Ellenshaw painting now? For years it was displayed in The Disney Gallery above Pirates.

The last time I saw it was in the old Disneyland Exposition Hall (I believe?) in Town Square back in June of '10. Many of the things from The Disney Gallery had been moved there after the original location above PotC had been transformed into the Disneyland Dream Suite.
It was sooooo awesome to see it in person...!!! :happy: :)

D

Deleted member 107043

The last time I saw it was in the old Disneyland Exposition Hall (I believe?) in Town Square back in June of '10. Many of the things from The Disney Gallery had been moved there after the original location above PotC had been transformed into the Disneyland Dream Suite.
It was sooooo awesome to see it in person...!!! :happy: :)

Oh yeah, I remember seeing it there too. Humph... Now I'm wondering where it is now.

Miceberg

armoir.jpg
So this is sitting upstairs in my house...and I have been trying to get rid of it for 2 years.

xfxIzv-hLtIp3xER0AZldfi3onrqBh3SSuUxVhcM_FyuGSAfiZ5lKcIy_sYoH7JVuyxRFpzZNcQGOGm4V-khs1qzL9dwku_a8CUB1abSmoxNVB8CnTGzzBBsxFtCTSe9EFWwXGSQdZoZveJVTh9i7PcrhdNCABk_MLOx0Q_TCGuofVqNqK40Uu9okwsDVZ-WaPySXt-CRIkEtkoCzRGJM39kvB6RwIsACvThXrz830SINWXSZ7MwuL6i6Yzs70rgbmYo5bxppWd7Y2F-TdxPk3BHiqDcvNtF5MELYUdY8Xv1ly7-MKeLj1rcckmZWwrfg1G_HlwMQx97ehkzEltR-0SsqvpMTk5LtYfeYCTyUVMx9EHJ9407DkeLh_DZRyuqLdx2nS9wGehsmyCf5Q0xr0SnZLC4_jZFTEfJisC9qSRXqn4DBGIUpBk1pflXqtTztf6HASzt1dutKQNcYi0e3Iyk0Y_373e4HrDm8s3hZt9sFROmreeOXcWuGwm00HDVTzuYNtvXoe-ah1D4WX68uOE3PEgpNc--tXSxZfjDQcUZA9mAf95LE_a_Mj9ZpjrYaBdH7NNtZVfSb76Uo5HhtaLPvpcHag3J560XqziSlxxb34Dg9Yw4kg=w1078-h808-no

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

If this is indeed the original presentation board Roy O. took to New York, this piece is legendary.
The story of how it made it out of the Disney Studios sounds reasonable... "Oh, you want this ol' thing. Sure, take it, it's yours!"
Funny thing is, I never knew it wasn't in the possession of TWDC. :cyclops:
Now, as to the original vellum sketch...where is that...?! o_O

Wasn't it displayed four years ago at D23 in the WED/Imagineering exhibit in an alcove under low light with no photography allowed? IIRC, it was part of a display of historic architectural renderings. I think the flow past it was very tightly controlled. I'm pretty sure there was an original DL rendering rarely seen, and the Ellenshaw "bulletin board" with black light was seen for years the The Disney Gallery, as noted in this thread.

Old Mouseketeer

donaldtoo

Wasn't it displayed four years ago at D23 in the WED/Imagineering exhibit in an alcove under low light with no photography allowed? IIRC, it was part of a display of historic architectural renderings. I think the flow past it was very tightly controlled. I'm pretty sure there was an original DL rendering rarely seen, and the Ellenshaw "bulletin board" with black light was seen for years the The Disney Gallery, as noted in this thread.

The vellum sketch?
I have no clue, as I have never attended D23, and have never heard of it being displayed there. Although, of course, it very well could have been, and it would be cool if Disney still had possession of it, and we're taking the best care if it. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom