New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

TP2000

Is this still accurate anyone know?

According to Disneyland.com it was moved up, the Monorail now closes on Monday, May 15th.

And no one can blame Micechat for that, as TDA made that change of plans all on their own after initially saying the Monorail wouldn't close until May 25th.

D

Deleted member 107043

I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm sure Disney is mishandling the situation, but they can build these parking garages remarkably fast nowadays.

I agree with you. Traffic, congestion, and accessibility in and around the area are only going to get worse, so sooner or later the City has no choice but sit at the negotiation table with Disney and resolve these issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

As each month of inaction ticks by, it makes me think Mr. Colglazier is kind of an idiot. Or at the very least he doesn't have a good grasp on what his business needs to succeed.
This matter is hardly limited to Colglazier. Every Disneyland Resort president for more than two decades has avoided this issue.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm sure Disney is mishandling the situation, but they can build these parking garages remarkably fast nowadays.
If you're using precast pieces in a typical design. Once you start going custom you're going to push out your timeline.

jbradway

I'm still a little unclear what benefit the mayor and council see in delaying this project? The city wants to see the foot traffic vastly reduced on Harbor in order to help the traffic flow better around the resort as a whole. The city can't really agree with the few Harbor hotels and eateries complaining because it's not in their interest either because they want the foot traffic to remain on Harbor. It's a brewing disaster for Disney and the city to keep kicking this down the road.

Ismael Flores

I'm still a little unclear what benefit the mayor and council see in delaying this project? The city wants to see the foot traffic vastly reduced on Harbor in order to help the traffic flow better around the resort as a whole. The city can't really agree with the few Harbor hotels and eateries complaining because it's not in their interest either because they want the foot traffic to remain on Harbor. It's a brewing disaster for Disney and the city to keep kicking this down the road.
I really don't think the mayor or council care what's best for the city. It's all about revenge and trying to show force. Seems like every official from the top person running this nation to the mayors of some cities that were elected this past election have one agenda. It is to try and prove to everyone that they get what they want and if they don't they get their feelings hurt and retaliate.
Some of those city council members lost previous battles and now they are trying to get their way.
The city also promised not to impose the entertainment tax and in exchange Disney was going to spend certain amount of money by a certain time
Who knows maybe the mayor and council secretly are trying to delay this as much as possible to try and force Disney to not fulfill their part of the contract.

Hopefully if that is the case Disney turns around and sues the city and makes them pay for their ignorance. All this is doing is hurting the future of the city which depends largely on the revenue collected from the resort. Many cities which they could be Anaheim

Phroobar

As long as the dome lets people in and out and isn't controlled by aliens or the EPA.

Simpsons-movie-dome-1.png

TP2000

The Anaheim Planning Commission updated the Anaheim Resort Status Map last week, that tracks all proposed or approved projects in the Resort District.

The Eastern Gateway project, #11 on the map, is still firmly listed as "Application Submitted".
https://ca-anaheim.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/10614

This thing isn't moving ahead anytime soon.

My hunch is TDA has retrenched and has gone back to the drawing board and if push comes to shove they will re-submit a new proposal that allows for a double-deck access way on the Carousel Inn plot. This could allow a lower level pathway from Harbor Blvd. back to the security screening area, a big shortcut over the walk down to Disney Way and back alongside the parking structure, while visitors who have cleared security walk on the skybridge above over to the parks.

Of course, I just thought of that in about 10 seconds, so the new plan may be more elaborate. Or not as smart and simple as that. :cool:

Last edited:

NobodyElse

My hunch is TDA has retrenched and has gone back to the drawing board and if push comes to shove they will re-submit a new proposal that allows for a double-deck access way on the Carousel Inn plot.

Great minds, and all that - I had this very idea running through my head a few weeks ago.

Indeed, on the Harbor end if the "ramp", if they chose to build a suspended structure rather than the proposed dirt-supported one, there would be a natural area for pedestrian access. Clearance would be fine for probably half the distance back of the old hotel lot. If they were willing to put up with a bit of a bottle-neck at the base of the ramp, the Harbor folk could come out from underneath the ramp and skirt to one side, making their way to one of the security checkpoints.

It's not ideal, but if would get things moving I'm sure they could make it work. (Maybe I'll do some drawings...)

Ismael Flores

When the proposal artwork was first released somewhere they all these threads I remember pointing out what almost seemed like a long walkway on one side of the bridge that ended in the new security area. The pathway lead to a planted section then curved and joined the secure area section.
For some reason I thought it would be a direct employee access or emergency access to harbor.

I wondered why not have that be a lit up walkway for the hotel guests that were concerned about the extra walk south. Seems like it would be a simple solution and they can have a security point at end of walkway. I personally would just rather walk around though because the small extra distance would mean being able to choose one of the twenty something security points to go thru compared to maybe two thru a walkway like that. It would be something small like the GCH entrance security and could mean long waits for the amount of guests that would try to use it

George Lucas on a Bench

Parking is a disaster yet again this weekend. DL closed to capacity yesterday. People are blaming it on Grad Nite (something they should put an end to, yet don't) and the last weekend to use those discount passes (what the heck were they thinking offering those?), and those are certainly major contributing factors, in addition to being a weekend. There seemingly isn't enough capacity for the amount of people coming in. A second parking garage would obviously help, but do the parks have the capacity for the people as it seems to get more and more crowded each year? I fear the Star Wars land will only make things worse? It seems like the resort is set to implode like the house from Poltergeist if they don't remove all the bodies.

TP2000

Parking is a disaster yet again this weekend. DL closed to capacity yesterday. People are blaming it on Grad Nite (something they should put an end to, yet don't) and the last weekend to use those discount passes (what the heck were they thinking offering those?), and those are certainly major contributing factors, in addition to being a weekend. There seemingly isn't enough capacity for the amount of people coming in. A second parking garage would obviously help, but do the parks have the capacity for the people as it seems to get more and more crowded each year? I fear the Star Wars land will only make things worse? It seems like the resort is set to implode like the house from Poltergeist if they don't remove all the bodies.

How could anyone blame the lack of parking on Grad Nite? Those kids get dropped off by buses streaming in off Katella to the unused access road behind Screamin'/Cars Land, and then the bus drivers drive away for the day, to return 12 hours later to pick the kids up again. I've seen the long line of buses on Katella myself dropping off kids this month.

If anything, Grad Nite has the least impact on parking spaces of any demographic.

But it does appear that the Disneyland Resort is SLAMMED with crowds this weekend. They stopped letting people in the gates for several hours yesterday according to Disneyland Today Twitter feed, and the wait times on the app have been horrendous.

180 minutes for Splash Mt. and Grizzly River Run (it's 90 degrees this weekend)
150 minutes for Radiator Springs Racers
120 minutes for Space Mt. and Matterhorn and Soarin'
90 minutes for Indy and Star Tours
60-75 minutes for Pirates and Screamin' and Haunted Mansion and Submarines

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom