Polynesian

Nate_offroad

Original Poster
Just got back from a 4 day solo Disney trip last week and I'm already starting to plan another trip this fall with a friend. I just wanted advice, what are the major advantages of staying at a deluxe resort vs. a value resort. Is the extra $400ish a night worth it? What is your favorite resort? Why?

Weather_Lady

It's so relative, it's really hard to say.

For example, I think that the extra $100 or so per night to upgrade from a value to a moderate is worth it, for the in-room coffeemaker, bigger room, queen-size beds, more attractive theming and decor, second sink, privacy screen/doors around the vanity area, and in some cases, a Murphy bed so the kids don't have to share. These are all amenities that my family uses and appreciates, daily.

However, paying up to $450-$600 per night (or more) to upgrade to deluxe, for an even bigger room, an extra toiletry or two, an onsite fitness center or childcare center or spa, onsite signature dining and super-duper theming and decor (and in some cases, more convenient transportation to one or two parks) is NOT worth it to me, since these are things that don't really impact my family's vacation experience in any significant way. They're nice to have, but not at that cost!

(That being said, we have stayed -- and would again -- in deluxe resorts, but only by renting DVC points for a studio that comes out to $250-$300 per night, which in my opinion, does give us great value for what we're spending, as it gives us most of the same deluxe standard room amenities, plus an in-room kitchenette, for little more than the cost of a non-discounted moderate.)

Deno

We love the Poly, our favourite resort by far but coming in a VERY close second is POR. Thing is, we paid around $250 a night for the Poly in August and could no way justify £450+ a night. I love the Poly because MK is our favourite park by far and it's nice to be able to hop on the monorail at any time of day and be in the park within 15 minutes or so. It's also great to be able to walk over to the EPCOT monorail very quickly too. For us, that resort ticks all the boxes for a really good time.

zurgandfriend

It all depends on you. A deluxe resort is worth it to my family, the room size, the amenities of the resort, convenience of the monorail, a great selection of restaurants and shops close by are all factors. Others think it is just a place to sleep. You are not there most of the time so why incur the expense. Then again, I am very happy driving a Ford. It gets me where I want to go and the insurance is a lot less than the Audi my neighbor drives.

jimbojones

I am not a rich man but we always stay at a deluxe with my family. I'd rather a short visit at a deluxe than a long visit at a value or moderate. The deluxes are similar in quality to a mid range ($200-$300 a night) offsite hotel so don't expect an experience like a high end non-disney hotel. Its still a family vacation destination after all. But they are much better located, quieter , have nicer amenities and in my families opinion are themed better than the value or moderate resorts. My favorite is the Poly I love the themeing and it is one of the original WDW hotels. My wife prefers the Contemporary, you can walk to MK and she likes feeling as though she is in the middle of the action. My kids favorite is the Wilderness Lodge for the theme, as it reminds them of the national parks, and the boat ride to MK . All three give you very easy access to MK which is important to us with little kids. Its great to be able to walk, take a short boat ride or monorail ride back to the hotel to deal with little kid issues. The proximity to MK also makes me feel more immersed in the synthetic happiness of WDW. I also think that if you are a WDW buff you need to stay at the Poly or Contemporary at least once to experience a night at one of the original hotels.

All that said if you don't have kids just do a moderate and save some money for other adventures. My wife and I went to Disney a lot before we had kids and we completely regret spending the money there rather than seeing more of the real world while it was just the two of us.

deeevo

If you plan on spending 70% of your time at the resort then yes. We hit the parks in the morning and are back at the pool
by 11 AM and then go back to the parks after dinner so the pool is important and also being close to MK ( 5 year olds). But
if it is the other way around and you will be in the parks 70% of the time then the extra $400 in not worth.

Deno

If you plan on spending 70% of your time at the resort then yes. We hit the parks in the morning and are back at the pool
by 11 AM and then go back to the parks after dinner so the pool is important and also being close to MK ( 5 year olds). But
if it is the other way around and you will be in the parks 70% of the time then the extra $400 in not worth.

Yeah, totally agree with this and this is what we also do. It's great to quickly get out of the midday heat and it not seem a hassle to go back in later in the day.

We were watching TV with the kids one night around 10pm ready for bed and they obviously were not too tired so we were "shall we go to Magic Kingdom?". What?!?! NOW??? they said. 30 minutes later we were walking down Main Street USA. Such a cool resort...

correcaminos

We absolutely love the Polynesian. Being able to get to MK and Epcot (walk to TTC) is worth it. Love all the near by food options as well. The theme is right up my alley too.

We spend so much time in our room/at the resort that bigger rooms and more options are important to us. Part of why we are DVC members. Our trips are more relaxing and I like staying in places that really make me feel at home.

Minthorne

DVC member here - my favorite resorts are Boardwalk, Beach Club, BLT and Polynesian. If not staying on my points or renting points I tend to stay at the Dolphin.

bethymouse

Grand Floridian is my favorite, but again as many have mentioned, you should plan on enjoying the resort just as much if not more than the parks. My 76 year old Mom is treated like a queen, and I am treated like a princess when we stay there. If Magic Kingdom and EPCOT are your favorite parks, then the convenience of the monorail can't be beat! The Polynesian is our 2nd favorite. You really feel like you're in Hawaii. The ability to watch and hear the music to the fireworks ( now Happily Ever After) without the crowds is also an incredible experience. Splurge and stay Concierge/Club Level if you can at least once ( you truly do not have to book a restaurant if you don't need to/want to because of the food choices and the convenience of getting alcoholic beverages throughout the day ...or if you don't drink alcoholic beverages there is water and soda 24/7). We have not stayed at the Contemporary, not since 1973... I was only 4).
The EPCOT deluxe resorts are nice too if you like Hollywood Studios and EPCOT. There is boat transportation and walkways. It's all in how you look at it.;)

piglet1

One other thing no one seems to have mentioned that Deluxe resorts have that Moderate and Value don't is a private balcony. We really enjoy spending time sitting out on them, and the ones at The Poly are awesome (if you get one - some of The Poly buildings, the middle floor doesn't have them. From the water view balconies at The Poly, you can enjoy the Electric Water Parade in your pjs. :)

durangojim

We're not open to close park people. We enjoy staying at and spending time at the resorts so for us a deluxe is our preference. That being said, we spent a week at the poly in March and were very disappointed with many aspects, the room, housekeeping, and service in general. You can look at my other posts for more detailed reviews but the GF and YC/BC are our current favorites.

wdwmamamouse

My husband and I usually stay at POP Century when just the two of us go to WDW...when the whole family goes, we love WL - the theming is great, the watercraft is fun, the pool is nice, the new Geyser Point is good (and Roaring Forks will reopen soon) and it has a welcoming feel as soon as you walk in (and at Christmas they do a fantastic job of decorating and there is huge fireplace with a lovely fire going with rocking chairs all around). It all depends on what you like -- it is hard to for the two of us to justify spending $150 per night more for WL when we are not really using the pool and hanging out at the lodge...but when the family is with us, we take advantage of the resort amenities more and feel like we get the cost is justified.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
We stayed at the Contemporary last year and once thing I came away with is that I felt overall that the moderate resorts are at the sweet spot in terms of getting value for your money. With that said, the deluxe hotels like the Contemporary and the Poly have location and I think that goes a long way for the enjoyment of your vacation.

Our next trip will be at the Poly and while that is very expensive, I've been saving up since last year and I have all of 2017 and most of 2017 to stockpile my cash for this trip.

21stamps

One other thing no one seems to have mentioned that Deluxe resorts have that Moderate and Value don't is a private balcony. We really enjoy spending time sitting out on them, and the ones at The Poly are awesome (if you get one - some of The Poly buildings, the middle floor doesn't have them. From the water view balconies at The Poly, you can enjoy the Electric Water Parade in your pjs. :)

This. I love a balcony.
I also agree with others who said that spending time at the resort and convenience are "worth it" when deciding. The "deluxe hotel" doesn't interest me as much as specific resort amenities/convenience. I would choose POFQ over SSR and OKW.
Convenience is the only reason I haven't stayed at AKL.

I want to add this though, personal budget matters most.. I wouldn't shorten a trip to stay at Poly over a moderate if that's what my budget dictated, but that comes down to personal preference.

JIMINYCR

We enjoy POFQ because of its atmosphere, smaller size and usually its quieter with less kids running loose (more adult friendly). The convenience of having the boat transportation to DS and walking path to PORS adds to our decision to keep booking there. If we had found another resort that suited us as well we would book there. Money can be budgeted and saved up for whatever you deem fits your style and needs for a Disney vacation. You just work harder and save more for the extra luxury of a more costly room and the amenities that come with it.

Notes from Neverland

A lot of the price of a deluxe is about location. Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk let you walk to two theme parks. The MK deluxes let you take monorail or boat to MK. AK doesn't have that same capability, but it offers some unreal views of animals from your room. All in all, it depends on what you value.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom