Teppan Edo Food Quality?

Raineman

Original Poster
We will be going to Teppan Edo for the first time during our next WDW trip in October, and I am curious as to what people think of the food quality there. I have seen a few YouTube videos, and the presentation of the cooking and plating of the food looks good, but I have seen some comments online that the food itself is sort of "meh".

correcaminos

So I last went to Teppan Edo around 2012 I think. It was great back then. Similar in quality to Benihana.
This is a great comparison to make IMO. It's cute and fun to do. The food isn't bad, but it isn't WOW. Honestly none of these teppan styles are anything to really shout home about. My FIL absolutely LOVED IT!!! But they think Texas Roadhouse has awesome steaks.

So it isn't bad and honestly all the food in the Japan pavilion is better than the average Disney restaurant IMO. They were absolutely amazing with an allergy as well. I have to commend them big time on handling that well.

contrariwise

We have always liked it, but I get the "nothing special" comments. It is basically stir fried meats and veggies. I like it better than Benihana as well because the dipping sauces at Teppan Edo are really good. I will also say that my veggie hating kid ate all the veggies there. Something about watching them being cooked, I guess. So that was a bonus for us!

Phonedave

Comparing it to both other teppan places (of which I have eaten in a LOT of) and other food in general, I don't find it so special. Garden variety food service meats and fish. Not bad, but not jaw dropping either. Show quality is luck of the draw, as it is in most teppan places, it depends on the both the chef and the atmosphere of the table.

The food was OK, nothing really special. The sushi at teppan edo on the other hand is pure garbage. It is pre-packaged sushi, that is made who knows when. There are no substitutions, or items not on the menu. My daughter asked for a cucumber roll once, and they told her they could not make one. She said, "You have a california roll on the menu, so you must have the ingredients for a cucumber roll" and thats when we found out that they just have pre-made items that they serve as is.- bleah

-dave

mouse_luv

It's one of our always "must do" restaurants. Understand that I have been to these kinds of places all over the World and Teppan Edo ranks up top for me. The filet was fantastic in January.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We've been every year for the past five years. The food is decent but nothing special. The experience is obviously very dependent on the chef but we've always enjoyed ourselves. We're stuck in the "well we've always done it" mindset and it has not gotten bad enough for us to stop going like Trattoria al Forno or Via Napoli.
This^^^

It is comparable to pretty much any average Teppanyaki restaurant you will find in any city in America. We stopped going there quite some time ago as the Kobe that is just off property and less than 5 minutes from Disney Springs is better and costs less.

There are way too many dining options in Epcot to do anything that you can find on nearly every corner in the real world.

SeanWM48

fun time and i have no complaints but as others stated there is a lot of competition for your dinner dollars at Epcot. Teppan is solid but unspectacular and probably not much different from any other decent hibachi type restaurant in a city near you

wdwmamamouse

We think the food quality is solid - we live in Atlanta, but we never go to this style of restaurant so for our crew of 12, we really enjoy the experience and the food. Toyoko Dining next door is very good as well -

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The food at Edo is good. If you've never been you will enjoy it. It is on par (quality wise) as others mentioned with a Benihana albeit at a slightly higher price. But it is EPCOT and you get the ambiance.

Due to my dining habits (chiefly waiting until the last minute) I haven't been able score a reservation to eat at Edo in a while. When I crave that type of food I hit the Benihana at Disney Springs which is equally good.

Hockey89

We will be going to Teppan Edo for the first time during our next WDW trip in October, and I am curious as to what people think of the food quality there. I have seen a few YouTube videos, and the presentation of the cooking and plating of the food looks good, but I have seen some comments online that the food itself is sort of "meh".
It's below average compared to many places I have been... I'm not sure if it has changed but no fried rice prepared at the table... Meh

Hockey89

Comparing it to both other teppan places (of which I have eaten in a LOT of) and other food in general, I don't find it so special. Garden variety food service meats and fish. Not bad, but not jaw dropping either. Show quality is luck of the draw, as it is in most teppan places, it depends on the both the chef and the atmosphere of the table.

The food was OK, nothing really special. The sushi at teppan edo on the other hand is pure garbage. It is pre-packaged sushi, that is made who knows when. There are no substitutions, or items not on the menu. My daughter asked for a cucumber roll once, and they told her they could not make one. She said, "You have a california roll on the menu, so you must have the ingredients for a cucumber roll" and thats when we found out that they just have pre-made items that they serve as is.- bleah

-dave
I've never found anything close to high end sushi at Disney.... I know Ive told you before, but go to O ya in NYC or Boston if you ever get the chance.... 2 people will cost about 600 but it is to die for....

wannabeBelle

It's below average compared to many places I have been... I'm not sure if it has changed but no fried rice prepared at the table... Meh
I don't believe they ever did fried rice at the table. I remember asking about it as my local place here in NYC does it and I was wondering why they didn't. They told me it was to not compete with the China Pavilion. Not sure if the manager was pulling my leg or what but there it is. That said, I do like the lightly flavored rice with the beef in it they serve currently, definitely more tasty than the plain rice. Marie

larandtra

I would echo the sentiments of nothing special. OK food, but, I prefer going to try something different if I am spending that kind of money. And there are other options available around WS that you cannot go anywhere in your local town and get.

Hockey89

I almost hate to ask, but have you tried the California Grill's sushi?
I know Dave mentioned this before to you and I agree with him about rolls not being true sushi. I'm talking just fish or fish on rice..... I've had Cal Grill rolls and they are very good. The pork belly one is very tasty.... I should have been more clear

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom