Magical Express - Different Flights

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
For my upcoming trip in August, my parents are flying home from Orlando on a different flight than the one my wife and I are on. I've had some trouble in the past with the Disney Reservations people getting confused when I try to explain this to them, so I'd like to keep things as simple for them as possible. Could I simply tell Disney that we're all flying back on the same flight (the earlier of the two) without messing up my parents' bag check on the day of departure?

nickys

Premium Member
For my upcoming trip in August, my parents are flying home from Orlando on a different flight than the one my wife and I are on. I've had some trouble in the past with the Disney Reservations people getting confused when I try to explain this to them, so I'd like to keep things as simple for them as possible. Could I simply tell Disney that we're all flying back on the same flight (the earlier of the two) without messing up my parents' bag check on the day of departure?

I doubt it. Isn't it essentially bag check? That means the bags get tagged with the flight number.

I have read plenty of posts from people who are getting different flights and getting DME booked. Is it the DME people you've had problems with before?

DisneyJoe

Call Magical Express direct at (866) 599-0951.

Your issues are likely from the Disney reservation system not talking properly to the DME system, so call them directly, it reduces problems.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
I doubt it. Isn't it essentially bag check? That means the bags get tagged with the flight number.
I don't think that's right. The bags don't get tagged until you get to the counter to check in, and it gets tagged with the airline's sticker, not any information from Disney's system. The airline computers would print based on your airline confirmation number.

I have read plenty of posts from people who are getting different flights and getting DME booked. Is it the DME people you've had problems with before?
Yes. Whenever I make DME reservations right when I make my resort reservation, everything goes fine. It's when I try to add it after the fact that things get messed up. I've had multiple trips where either my luggage tags for the flight down don't show up at my house or I don't get the DME paperwork at my resort room on the day of check-out.

Minthorne

You can put whatever flight you want on DME - they don't check if you really are on the flight.
When you check you bags at the airline skycap at the hotel to leave they are required to confirm you as a passenger and tag the bags to the flight you are on. DME does not tag bags that are leaving - the DME tags are only for arriving.

nickys

Premium Member
I don't think that's right. The bags don't get tagged until you get to the counter to check in, and it gets tagged with the airline's sticker, not any information from Disney's system. The airline computers would print based on your airline confirmation number.

Yes. Whenever I make DME reservations right when I make my resort reservation, everything goes fine. It's when I try to add it after the fact that things get messed up. I've had multiple trips where either my luggage tags for the flight down don't show up at my house or I don't get the DME paperwork at my resort room on the day of check-out.

I've only used it once, when we had a NYC stay after Disney. We can't use it for international flights sadly, have to brave the check-in queues at the airport. :eek:

I agree about them using the flight info, not Disney info. I guess the bag check is done way before DME, so it would probably be OK then.

Could I simply tell Disney that we're all flying back on the same flight (the earlier of the two) without messing up my parents' bag check on the day of departure?
This would be fine as far as the bags are concerned because as others have mentioned, each person is going to have his/her bags checked according to the flight they're actually scheduled on. The airline check in agent will actually look up the flight reservation and tag the bags accordingly. However, the time of the flight you use when you sign up for DME is going to determine the departure assignment of the DME coach you take to the airport. If you all want to go to the airport in time for the earlier flight, you're golden, but if two of you were hoping to stay longer at the resort you're ultimately going to have to convey the details of both flights to DME so that you're assigned two different departure times.

Weather_Lady

We had no issues doing the same thing last November, since DME and the airline check-in desk at the resort operate independently from one another. MIL's flight left an hour after ours, on another airline, but we gave DME the information for the first flight only, so we'd all get scheduled on the same DME bus to the airport. We all got our boarding passes and bag tags printed at the resort on our departure day (us for our flight, my MIL for hers), and then took DME to the airport together.

correcaminos

If you are using an airline that allows for bag check at the resort, it will not be an issue. Anyone can use that service as long as they are on one of the partnered airlines. It is not tied to DME at all. We rent cars so no DME, but when traveling with checked bags we always drop them off with the airline check in. Good way to print tickets too.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
If you are using an airline that allows for bag check at the resort, it will not be an issue. Anyone can use that service as long as they are on one of the partnered airlines. It is not tied to DME at all. We rent cars so no DME, but when traveling with checked bags we always drop them off with the airline check in. Good way to print tickets too.
Good to know. We found a really good deal on a rental car, but it's one-way from the Dolphin to MCO. So we're all going to take DME to Old Key West, then I'll pick up the car at the Dolphin on our first day, then most of my family will take DME back to the airport while I alone return the rental car.

correcaminos

Good to know. We found a really good deal on a rental car, but it's one-way from the Dolphin to MCO. So we're all going to take DME to Old Key West, then I'll pick up the car at the Dolphin on our first day, then most of my family will take DME back to the airport while I alone return the rental car.
We've found some excellent 1 way deals too, though we usually start or end in Tampa to visit family so it's a bit further. Costco has been our other saving grace for us with rental cars.

But no matter what you do with the rental and DME, your bags will be safe! We've now gone to carry on only and will miss it, but it is nice to know that the perk is there if we need it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom