Looking for insights if you've attempted to rent DVC points for a studio at 7 months out...

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
We're hoping to rent DVC points from David's for spring 2018 (4-5 nights, first week of May). We won't be submitting our request until just before the 7-month window opens, to avoid the premium charges for earlier requests.

Our reservation request will be fairly broad, asking for (in order of preference); (1) Polynesian standard studio; (2) BLT standard or lake studio; (3) VWL Copper Creek studio; (4) VWL Boulder Ridge studio; or (5) Beach Club studio.

I've read recently that DVC rental requests at 7 months are getting harder and harder to satisfy, especially for studios. My fear is that if we wait until the 7-month mark, we'll be told, "sorry, all we can do for you is Old Key West or Saratoga Springs." Staying at the Polynesian is a bit of a "bucket list" item for us, although not at premium prices, but I'd hate to take the gamble and then find at 7 months that we can't get a studio at all, at any of our top 5 DVC resort choices.

Can anyone help me get a realistic picture of our chances, based on their own recent experiences with DVC rental requests at 7 months out? I do realize that it's not simply a question of whether there are studios available, but also whether there are members renting points in the right amounts, but I thought I'd ask -- either for my own peace of mind about waiting, or to give me a wake-up call to act before the 11-month mark. I'm hoping that the time of year we're planning to visit (spring, on a non-holiday week) will work in our favor -- David's wasn't able to rent us points for a studio even at 11+ months last year, but that was when we were looking to visit in November, which I now know is prime season for DVC.

Last edited:

PrincessL

Yes, we had luck with this exact scenario. We rented points from David's for our upcoming trip to the Poly(studio) starting May 28th for 6 nights. I submitted the request on October 20th and they were able to secure a reservation on October 29th. One day into the 7 month window. Now, I will say that I went into it wanting a reservation either way. Thinking that my best chance to get a reservation was before our dates were opened up to all DVC members and I was ok with paying the premium. Still way cheaper than through Disney!! I did not want to risk not getting a room at all and Poly was the only one that I wanted. So, best case scenario worked out for us thankfully. At least you have some backup options!

I'll also add that they have been so easy to work with and prompt response times whenever I asked for an update. Good luck:)

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Yes, we had luck with this exact scenario...

I'll also add that they have been so easy to work with and prompt response times whenever I asked for an update. Good luck:)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience -- that makes me feel better! In addition to our ill-fated attempt last year at renting points through David's for a studio, we had a wonderful, successful experience with them prior to that (renting points for a 2-bedroom villa a few years ago, back in the days before there was a premium charge for most advance reservations). Like you, we experienced superb customer service, and I look forward to working with them again. :)

correcaminos

Honestly if PVB is so important, why not pay the extra $2/point more to get it now? PVB is not sold out yet so it is hard to know how it will be from year to year. However it has one of the largest amount of studios - but given the location it is in high demand. BCV will be the hardest I think. Though CCV has very limited rooms released (I read 48 total) so that might be equally as tough.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Honestly if PVB is so important, why not pay the extra $2/point more to get it now? PVB is not sold out yet so it is hard to know how it will be from year to year. However it has one of the largest amount of studios - but given the location it is in high demand. BCV will be the hardest I think. Though CCV has very limited rooms released (I read 48 total) so that might be equally as tough.
Actually, here is the breakdown for CCV:

184 (max 220)
Dedicated Studio: 42
Dedicated One Bedroom: 20
Dedicated Two Bedroom: 56
Lockoff Two Bedroom: 36 (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)
Three Bedroom Grand Villa: 4
Cascade Cabin: 26

And the breakdown for BCV:

208 (max 282)
Dedicated Studio: 36
Dedicated Two Bedroom: 78
Lockoff Two Bedroom: 74 (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)
Three Bedroom Grand Villa: 0

The VGF is the smallest:

100 (max 147)
Dedicated Studio: 0
Dedicated One Bedroom: 0
Dedicated Two Bedroom: 47
Lockoff Two Bedroom: 47 (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)
Three Bedroom Grand Villa: 6

correcaminos

Actually, here is the breakdown for CCV:

184 (max 220)
Dedicated Studio: 42
Dedicated Two Bedroom: 56
Lockoff Two Bedroom: 36 (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)
Three Bedroom Grand Villa: 4
Cascade Cabin: 26

And the breakdown for BCV:

208 (max 282)
Dedicated Studio: 36
Dedicated Two Bedroom: 78
Lockoff Two Bedroom: 74 (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)
Three Bedroom Grand Villa: 0

The VGF is the smallest:

100 (max 147)
Dedicated Studio: 0
Dedicated One Bedroom: 0
Dedicated Two Bedroom: 47
Lockoff Two Bedroom: 47 (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)
Three Bedroom Grand Villa: 6
I read the number currently released is not large - and that was the total released for all rooms, not the total that will be available. Two different things. Just like when PVB was opened not all of those 360 studios were available.

VGF wasn't an option for the OP so I didn't address that. If they wanted VGF I would have said it would be hard. Out of those CCV and BCV will be hardest. PVB is still the wildcard. People claim they hated the studio and bungalow only options but once it sells out it might be hard to get at 7 months. No one knows though. Since we were talking studios only though I do think BCV will be difficult. CCV will too but they aren't all released.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I read the number currently released is not large - and that was the total released for all rooms, not the total that will be available. Two different things. Just like when PVB was opened not all of those 360 studios were available.

VGF wasn't an option for the OP so I didn't address that. If they wanted VGF I would have said it would be hard. Out of those CCV and BCV will be hardest. PVB is still the wildcard. People claim they hated the studio and bungalow only options but once it sells out it might be hard to get at 7 months. No one knows though. Since we were talking studios only though I do think BCV will be difficult. CCV will too but they aren't all released.
That's a good point. Studios are definitely the hardest to come by at 7 months at certain resorts. Since my wife and I usually stay in a 1 bedroom, we've never had an issue. We have a 1 bedroom at BCV for F&W this year, even though all of the studios were long gone. Much easier for a 1 bedroom.

correcaminos

That's a good point. Studios are definitely the hardest to come by at 7 months at certain resorts. Since my wife and I usually stay in a 1 bedroom, we've never had an issue. We have a 1 bedroom at BCV for F&W this year, even though all of the studios were long gone. Much easier for a 1 bedroom.
Oh yes, 1 bedroom are always the last to go. That's how we got one at BCV during spring break about 5 months out. We had just missed out on a BWV standard view 1 bedroom even. I just waited overnight to book to make sure our dates worked with other family and it was gone.

We do 2 bedrooms with my family most of the time (we like having a living area to use while others sleep) and they are hard to get too. Once the studios are gone for all those saving points, a lot of the 2 bedrooms are gone as well. Fortunately we're not picky about locations and our 1st home (OKW) is a great option for us!

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Update: thank you for all of your input and advice! After a talk with DH in which we realized that our preferences for certain resorts over others were stronger than we'd realized, we've opted to submit our David's DVC requests at 11 months out -- in large part because in the end, we decided to attempt a split stay (3 nights at BCV, followed by 2 nights at the Polynesian) and wanted to put ourselves in the best possible position to get both. Besides giving us the chance to try two great resorts (without paying the Poly price for the whole stay), we may be able to augment the cost by foregoing parkhoppers, and using standard tickets to just focus on the parks within walking/monorail distance during each resort stay. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

correcaminos

Update: thank you for all of your input and advice! After a talk with DH in which we realized that our preferences for certain resorts over others were stronger than we'd realized, we've opted to submit our David's DVC requests at 11 months out -- in large part because in the end, we decided to attempt a split stay (3 nights at BCV, followed by 2 nights at the Polynesian) and wanted to put ourselves in the best possible position to get both. Besides giving us the chance to try two great resorts (without paying the Poly price for the whole stay), we may be able to augment the cost by foregoing parkhoppers, and using standard tickets to just focus on the parks within walking/monorail distance during each resort stay. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
I think that is smart! You could also skip a meal and likely make up the cost depending. Sometimes convenience of everything is worth a price. Fingers crossed this works out well for you!

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Keep us posted.

Popping back with an update -- today, the 11-month window opened for Part 1 of our intended split stay (3 nights at Beach Club Villas in a studio) -- and David's Vacation rentals was able to secure a reservation immediately! I've paid and linked the confirmation number to my MDE account so we're all set.

Now to wait 3 days for the 11-month window to open for Part 2 of the stay (2 nights in a studio at the Polynesian) -- and then however long it takes beyond that. :) It's like Tom Petty said: the waiting is the hardest part.

UPDATE 6/4: We struck out on day one of our 11-month window for the 2-night reservation we were seeking at the Polynesian. (There is plenty of availability; just no Poly members with points listed with David's right now.) We're going to keep the reservation request pending and hope a Poly member decides to rent some points with David's -- or that availability remains by the time we get to the 7-month window. I love renting DVC points, but I'm such an impatient person, it's always a challenge to keep myself calm while waiting for the outcome. :)

Last edited:

Skibum1970

Popping back with an update -- today, the 11-month window opened for Part 1 of our intended split stay (3 nights at Beach Club Villas in a studio) -- and David's Vacation rentals was able to secure a reservation immediately! I've paid and linked the confirmation number to my MDE account so we're all set.

Now to wait 3 days for the 11-month window to open for Part 2 of the stay (2 nights in a studio at the Polynesian) -- and then however long it takes beyond that. :) It's like Tom Petty said: the waiting is the hardest part.

UPDATE 6/4: We struck out on day one of our 11-month window for the 2-night reservation we were seeking at the Polynesian. (There is plenty of availability; just no Poly members with points listed with David's right now.) We're going to keep the reservation request pending and hope a Poly member decides to rent some points with David's -- or that availability remains by the time we get to the 7-month window. I love renting DVC points, but I'm such an impatient person, it's always a challenge to keep myself calm while waiting for the outcome. :)

I rented for the first time this year. I wanted Bay Lake Tower but wound up with WL Boulder Ridge (second choice). I booked in May with a trip in September. I am forcing myself to not think about it so that I do not become too anxious. David's Vacation Rentals made it very easy to order, pay, and link up to MyMagic. Hope that you get what you are looking for.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
UPDATE: After just a few days of waiting past the 11 month mark, David's Vacation Rentals contacted us with a reservation today for part 2 of our split stay, so they're 2 for 2 in satisfying our reservation requests for our May 2018 trip. Many thanks to all of you, and especially those who advised me to go ahead and reserve now, even if it costs slightly more. I'm relieved to have all of our plans in place. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom