How to successfully transfer?

artfiction

Original Poster
The title question might be a bit odd. But here's my story:

I have been working at WDW as a food server for almost two years (since I was 18). I have tried to transfer (applied) to 12 different type of jobs (office-wise) and I keep getting "No longer in consideration." How can I change this? While I do like working at a restaurant, my major is Computer Science and I would LOVE to have a job where I can at least touch a computer.

I have changed my resume and cover letter for the better. But I feel like you can't get those office jobs unless someone knows you from within or have all the experience in the world. But how can you gain experience if they don't give you a chance? Thank you in advance. :)

DisneyJoe

Do you have a college degree or any computer certification yet?

Another option would be to freelance as a web developer/designer or something you are interested in. There are many sites that would help you get started with that.

Last edited:

artfiction

Original Poster
Have you tried looking outside the company? If you really want to have a job more aligned with your field, that is the best bet.

I've applied to other companies where I have been accepted but the catch is that I would have to put my availability for everyday which I can't do since I go to school full time. But I will know try to apply again at other companies. Thank you for the advice.

artfiction

Original Poster
Do you have a college degree or any computer certification yet?

Another option would be to freelance as a web developer/designer or something you are interested in. There are many sites that would help you get started with that.

Not yet. I'm in my Junior year right now so I'm full time at school and part time at Disney. Can you name any of those websites? All I know is Fiverr right now.

DisneyJoe

Not yet. I'm in my Junior year right now so I'm full time at school and part time at Disney. Can you name any of those websites? All I know is Fiverr right now.

https://www.lifewire.com/fiverr-alternatives-3485761

If you haven't already, claim your own domain name and build your personal website.

Read books, study online courses, download programming tools and teach yourself (if that is what you want to do). My college degree is in Radio/TV/Film, but I dabbled in computers throughout high school and college and began to work professionally with computers before I graduated college.

rk03221

I know a lot of people who would do anything to get your job as a server at disney. I would try and get a FT serving job with disney and then a PT gig programming outside the company.

Moe526

Have you tried rewording your skills during the job application part of it. I know it seems like a small insignificant thing but my mother was an area director in her field and she never even saw 75% of applications because the computer kicked them out due to not having enough words that match what they are looking for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom