Disney cutting back summer hours?

ToTBellHop

Serious question, do we have any sourced (even from an "insider") verification that it was complaining here (not at Disney from the average guest) that elicited these changes?
Why would Staggs admit the changes were due to guest complaints (he did) if they weren't? If they intended to have the current system all along, they wouldn't have built all those in-park kiosks only to remove them later. They can't both have had the foresight in 2012 to know how MDE would look in 2017 but not have had the foresight to just build it that way from the start.

Contrary to popular belief, Disney is VERY responsive to guest commentary. Survey results get compiled and play a large role in decision-making. While (now fired) big wigs pushed (rammed) MDE through at the outset with promises of profits that never appeared, changes since then have been due to guest commentary.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
OK. Focus on that instead of answering what complaining would do.

Respond to surveys, email or write guest relations, become a stock holder and interact with investor relations... this things are tangible inputs into Disney while posting your displeasure on a fan site is not (unless you want it to show up on Chip & Company and then WESH)

jakeman

Why would Staggs admit the changes were due to guest complaints (he did) if they weren't? If they intended to have the current system all along, they wouldn't have built all those in-park kiosks only to remove them later. They can't both have had the foresight in 2012 to know how MDE would look in 2017 but not have had the foresight to just build it that way from the start.

Contrary to popular belief, Disney is VERY responsive to guest commentary. Survey results get compiled and play a large role in decision-making. While (now fired) big wigs pushed (rammed) MDE through at the outset with promises of profits that never appeared, changes since then have been due to guest commentary.
That wasn't my question. You implied (or I misinterpreted) that complaining here, on WDWMagic, was the result of the change.

I agree with the premise that complaining directly to Disney regarding shortcomings is appropriate and justified and more than likely leads to results if presented in a consistent and reasonable manner. However, I'm reluctant to accept that personal diatribes on a Disney fan board provides the same catalyst for change.

If I misinterpreted your response to @Kman101 then apologies and we are in agreement on communicating issues directly with Disney.

Kman101

Do you get Frozen Ever After day-of? I'd have to sleep with someone for that kind of access.

That doesn't happen. And it wasn't directed towards me but I personally said that one is near impossible to come by. Mine Train can be too but I ended up with one. It's just luck. Should we have to keep checking? No. But if you want one that's what you do. Or you can wait in standby. You're not being denied access to anything because you can't get a FP for it. The average guest has every opportunity to experience Mine Train and Frozen.

Kman101

I have no interest in riding Frozen Ever After, so I don't waste time trying to get a FP for it

*Gasp* I waited standby. What a concept! (Sarcasm wasn't directed towards you :) ) hope you had a great cruise, BTW ... and for me, Frozen is one and done. But I was able to secure two FPs for it on separate days after my window opened. It was at night time but not impossible.

jakeman

I also don't have the patience to stand by in a queue filled with whiny children ;) The cruise was great, thanks! Will hopefully have a trip report up by the weekend
So we did Frozen during the Wine and Dine post party.

It's like a $60 or $80 ticket but man...Epcot was almost completely empty. Frozen was a 10 minute wait and all the F&W booths were open.

Kman101

I also don't have the patience to stand by in a queue filled with whiny children ;) The cruise was great, thanks! Will hopefully have a trip report up by the weekend

I don't either, normally, but it was a new attraction and the park was pretty busy so I got in line, it wasn't awful. But they could turn up the AC inside. I lucked out not waiting as long as it said but I wouldn't do it again without a FP. But the notion that guests can't experience something without a FP isn't true. Maybe not how it was intended to be said ... but standby is still there like it always was, just with horribly long waits. I waited a bit when Mine Train first opened during the 24 hour party that one year but I wouldn't wait again unless it was 30 minutes or less. FP, sure ...

Biff215

FP clearly has an effect on standby times, especially for the most popular attractions and those with low capacities. So Disney has conditioned us all to preplan so we can get those coveted FP's and avoid the long wait. So is it too much to expect Disney to post accurate hours and closings?

I don't think anyone is complaining just to be difficult here. Most of us have experienced the parks pre-FP, then with legacy FP, and now with FP+. We see the pros and cons, but most of all how it's changed how you plan for a WDW visit. It's not nearly as easy as many here make it sound, especially if you have young kids, a large group, or limited time.

While it's not impossible to experience the parks pre-1999, it's certainly not the same experience if you try to. As many have posted here, there are a lot of attractions guests refuse to ride without a FP. Are we spoiled? Maybe, but that was created by Disney, not necessarily the guest.

Disney may not be responding to direct complaints from WDWMagic, but some of what gets discussed here ultimately may reach management when someone gets frustrated enough to make that call or send that email. It's certainly not pointless to have these discussions, and each are entitled to their own opinion. But if you're 100% happy with the current system, is it impossible to understand that others are not?

RSoxNo1

To the FP+ argument here is my suggestion.

1 advanced booking per guest per day
1 additional Fastpass once you have entered a park.

Both Fastpasses become rolling Fastpasses once they've been used. It eliminates tiers, it satisfies the "I must get on this one ride" requirement, and most importantly it adds back a significant number of same day availability. I'd take it a step further and restrict attractions to a percentage of their overall availability (say 75%) to be eligible for advanced bookings.

Bandini

And what does that accomplish? I'm serious in asking this? Why make yourself miserable over something they aren't going to change? Not saying you're "miserable" that's hyperbole but you get what I'm trying to ask.

I rarely have my phone out, nothing wrong with checking it. I was just in New York. Everyone's on their phones. It's just how it is now. I hate it but that's how it is.

And it's worth it if you want to get a FP. Should I HAVE to? Of course not, it's ridiculous, but there are things in life you can pick and choose your battles on ... but that's me. You can rebel all you want, that's fine, but they aren't going to change it because we're complaining about it here, like a lot of things. So what does it accomplish?

And like the complaining rhetoric that you HAVE to plan 180 days out, that just isn't necessarily true but some keep wanting to repeat that point, even if it's not 100% accurate.
If you are referring to what I post here, then no I don't think it will have a huge impact on Disney, but I still do think I have a right to express my opinions on this forum, despite what some members may think. It's the reason I do appreciate these boards and how they are moderated. I am not silenced because my opinion differs from "the party line"
But I do believe that I can join my voice with others and things might change. Probably not with the current management, but maybe in the future when Iger is gone. But I am not going to shrug my shoulders and accept things as they are.
As far as your example of people continuously staring at their phones, I agree it does occur everywhere. Does that make it right? I seriously wonder why some people go out to dinner with each other, since they spend the entire time buried in their phones and not even speaking to each other.
Yes, I voice my dissatisfaction and disappointment with WDW. However, I am also the person who sends a note complimenting service or saying that I had a wonderful experience when it's warranted. Lately, however, there hasn't been much positive happening IMO.
Also, I think it would be pretty foolish of anyone who was on a WDW vacation to spend time complaining about FP+. That would be a tremendous waste of time and money. However, I am not on vacation.

disney4life2008

Complaining led to the ability to book a 4th FP. Then the ability to book that 4th FP on the app. Then increased ease in picking FP times and changing them. Then the ability to book fewer than 3 FPs instead of the obligatory Nemo. And the ability to book and change ADRs with ease on the app. And the ability to not see your child's name on a tombstone at the end of HM.

Dont forget the poo candy at the candy shop in Africa. I heard mommies were irate Disney sold elephant chocolate poo

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If you are referring to what I post here, then no I don't think it will have a huge impact on Disney, but I still do think I have a right to express my opinions on this forum, despite what some members may think. It's the reason I do appreciate these boards and how they are moderated. I am not silenced because my opinion differs from "the party line"
But I do believe that I can join my voice with others and things might change. Probably not with the current management, but maybe in the future when Iger is gone. But I am not going to shrug my shoulders and accept things as they are.
As far as your example of people continuously staring at their phones, I agree it does occur everywhere. Does that make it right? I seriously wonder why some people go out to dinner with each other, since they spend the entire time buried in their phones and not even speaking to each other.
Yes, I voice my dissatisfaction and disappointment with WDW. However, I am also the person who sends a note complimenting service or saying that I had a wonderful experience when it's warranted. Lately, however, there hasn't been much positive happening IMO.
Also, I think it would be pretty foolish of anyone who was on a WDW vacation to spend time complaining about FP+. That would be a tremendous waste of time and money. However, I am not on vacation.

This post is too long. I am having trouble reading it on my phone.

jakeman

But if you're 100% happy with the current system, is it impossible to understand that others are not?
Absolutely, but when it's accompanied (for example) by such hyperbole as "We must book 6 months out" when that is not the case and not even true for FP+, then you (plural) have to be expected to be called out on that. It doesn't mean that you can't have your opinion, just that the facts you're using to support it aren't correct.

If you are referring to what I post here, then no I don't think it will have a huge impact on Disney, but I still do think I have a right to express my opinions on this forum, despite what some members may think.
I'd be interested to see how often people are outright told not to post their opinion and cross reference that with how many times people claim they have a "right" or are being censored. I bet that's a rather lopsided ratio.

L.C. Clench

It's funny that a system sold to keep people out of lines and in gift shops and restaurants where they can spend money has resulted in longer lines and staff adjustments which keeps people in line and out of gift shops and restaurants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom