Disney cutting back summer hours?

jakeman

The average guest arriving has not ridden Frozen or Avatar or seen Rivers of Light yet. The average guest would like to ride those three rides and see the super soaker with cigarette lighter show. You cannot find FPs for them particularly readily. Therefore, for two of the four parks, one must plan well in advance. Sure, you can move your useless Figment FP around, but not those. So if I need to know when I'm going to two of the parks 60 days out, I really need to know when I'm going to the other two.

Then heaven forbid I want to eat at the more popular restaurants that DO require reservations at least 4 months out--which many guests do. They are the most-popular after all. Sometimes we all become complacent because of how often we go and because we are pros. We know we can obsessively check on MDE to score a FP or ADR we want the moment someone cancels. Most people do not understand the system well enough to do that. Win for us, but Disney created this system and should abide by it. For example, Sci Fi is somewhat hard to get. Certainly last minute. I go there when we want to see the SW fireworks which do not always run nightly. So I book an ADR and cross my fingers that the fireworks will run that night. Maybe I get lucky when they finally update the schedule. If not, I scramble to move things (including my Midway Mania, ToT, and ST FPs) around, checking obsessively til I get what I want. Usually after a week, everything is when I want it. But I get the system and make time to "perfect" my family's vacation.

If they say 6 months, the schedule should be reasonably set by then. Certainly fireworks and refurb schedules.
I think we're agreeing?

The planning issues are overblown here; however, if Disney is going to have a 180 day window, then they need to have the information available at 180 days so guest can make informed decisions. That includes park hours and show schedules.

ToTBellHop

I think we're agreeing?

The planning issues are overblown here; however, if Disney is going to have a 180 day window, then they need to have the information available at 180 days so guest can make informed decisions. That includes park hours and show schedules.
I agree that the planning issues are MOSTLY overblown (you can get Splash week-of, though perhaps not day-of if it's hot).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The rhetoric that WDW forces you to plan in advance is an outright lie.

I was not able to get FPs for FEA or an ADR for BoG one month in advance. And I know all the tricks of 'refreshing' and using the online ADR finder.

There are some experiences you must plan months in advance. Unless you think I'm a liar...

And let me just add: I've been publicly criticizing WDW for their woeful scheduling of their public calendar for a long time for all the reasons given above. Just putting that out there for the next time someone lumps me in with the 'pixie dusters'. :)

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
MDE WAS SUPPOSED TO TAKE THE STRESS OUT OF VACATION PLANNING. WHY AM I YELLING?

You_Were_The_Chosen_One.jpg

Kman101

I agree that the planning issues are MOSTLY overblown (you can get Splash week-of, though perhaps not day-of if it's hot).

I've gotten Splash day of. I've even gotten Peter Pan day of, you have to keep checking. Is it ideal? No. Mine Train and Frozen? No they aren't. Looks like Avatar will have those issues as well.

And guests can stand in stand-by (you know, like they used to before FastPass? I'd love 15-30 minute waits too but those days are long gone) if they want to see all of them. Same for RoL. Stand on the bridge. Line up early. You DON'T have to book 180 days out. I've also seen River of Lights day of. Maybe not always but it's possible and it was when they had two shows a night.

And maybe FastPass would be available if guests DIDN'T book 180 days out. It's annoying to see them gone as a passholder when I only get 30 days.

CosmicPrincess

And maybe FastPass would be available if guests DIDN'T book 180 days out. It's annoying to see them gone as a passholder when I only get 30 days.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the earliest you could book fastpasses was 60 days out if you're a resort guest.

Irregardless, Disney kinda pushes the whole book ahead thing as part of the My Magic Experience package.

Yeah, maybe it's possible to get day of fastpasses if you're in the parks on a less crowded day or if you're looking at the right time on the right day but it's not exactly the norm anymore. As you said yourself, they're usually gone by the 30 day mark.

Biff215

Actually, it's not Disney's predicament, but some guests.
I have to disagree completely. Sure it may be over exaggerated, like anything is, but the problem was created by Disney and it benefits them. Opening reservations at 180 days and dining plans have created an artificial demand for many locations. Sure you may get something last minute at a resort or less popular venue, but that's not what most guests are hoping for based on expectations created by Disney themselves. FP+ is very similar most of the year. Just because I can get a FP for Philharmagic doesn't mean I need or want it.

I feel bad for first time guests who didn't know they should have preplanned. They wind up in QS restaurants when they were hoping for the castle and 2 hour lines for Splash in the summer heat while they wonder why the FP line is rolling past them. Maybe they should have done better research, but which guest is more likely to return?

Let's please not pretend that last minute dining and FP+ could work for everyone, it simply does not. And because of this, Disney should do their part and post accurate hours, closures, and show times at the same 180 day window. I have dozens of trips under my belt in the past 18 years but it still takes far too much time to plan the basics I believe are needed for a great trip.

Bandini

I've gotten Splash day of. I've even gotten Peter Pan day of, you have to keep checking. Is it ideal? No. Mine Train and Frozen? No they aren't. Looks like Avatar will have those issues as well.
I can't imagine spending my time in a Disney park constantly refreshing/checking an app on my phone. I spend an awful lot of time, anticipating my Disney vacations. So when I am there for a relatively breif amount of time I want to be in the parks.

Kman101

I can't imagine spending my time in a Disney park constantly refreshing/checking an app on my phone. I spend an awful lot of time, anticipating my Disney vacations. So when I am there for a relatively breif amount of time I want to be in the parks.

I am in the parks. It's not constantly refreshing but just checking. To each their own. It's an option, not saying you have to do it, LOL. This is how they do FP now. We can either continue to rebel against it and sound like whiners (not saying you!) or you can go with it. Or wait in the long standby lines. I don't love it, but it is what it is.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I am in the parks. It's not constantly refreshing but just checking. To each their own. It's an option, not saying you have to do it, LOL. This is how they do FP now. We can either continue to rebel against it and sound like whiners (not saying you!) or you can go with it. Or wait in the long standby lines. I don't love it, but it is what it is.

"it is what it is" , no its an immutable rule by WDW which you have no ability to change.

Bandini

OK, so you don't refresh the app, but you said you keep checking your phone. I'm not saying you're wrong for doing this, but IMO it's just not worth it. But maybe that's because I visit so rarely.
However, I'm going to continue to whine and rebel against FP+.

Kman101

OK, so you don't refresh the app, but you said you keep checking your phone. I'm not saying you're wrong for doing this, but IMO it's just not worth it. But maybe that's because I visit so rarely.
However, I'm going to continue to whine and rebel against FP+.

And what does that accomplish? I'm serious in asking this? Why make yourself miserable over something they aren't going to change? Not saying you're "miserable" that's hyperbole but you get what I'm trying to ask.

I rarely have my phone out, nothing wrong with checking it. I was just in New York. Everyone's on their phones. It's just how it is now. I hate it but that's how it is.

And it's worth it if you want to get a FP. Should I HAVE to? Of course not, it's ridiculous, but there are things in life you can pick and choose your battles on ... but that's me. You can rebel all you want, that's fine, but they aren't going to change it because we're complaining about it here, like a lot of things. So what does it accomplish?

And like the complaining rhetoric that you HAVE to plan 180 days out, that just isn't necessarily true but some keep wanting to repeat that point, even if it's not 100% accurate.

ToTBellHop

And? It IS what it is. What does complaining do?
Complaining led to the ability to book a 4th FP. Then the ability to book that 4th FP on the app. Then increased ease in picking FP times and changing them. Then the ability to book fewer than 3 FPs instead of the obligatory Nemo. And the ability to book and change ADRs with ease on the app. And the ability to not see your child's name on a tombstone at the end of HM.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Complaining led to the ability to book a 4th FP. Then the ability to book that 4th FP on the app. Then increased ease in picking FP times and changing them. Then the ability to book fewer than 3 FPs instead of the obligatory Nemo. And the ability to book and change ADRs with ease on the app. And the ability to not see your child's name on a tombstone at the end of HM.
I have to disagree. I think what we are seeing has been part of the plan all along, but it simply took Disney awhile to get all the tech right.

jakeman

Serious question, do we have any sourced (even from an "insider") verification that it was complaining here (not at Disney from the average guest) that elicited these changes?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom